Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making A Backup Of Your Registry

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

Making backups from data has many benefits, especially when it is a backup of your registry.
For example your computer may slow down suddenly and your system restore doesn't work or is disabled, or you see many system crashes, or you want to change
your registry configuration and you are not sure you are doing right. Here is the way to make a backup of your system:
1. Follow this path:
Start |all programs |accessories |system tools | backup
2. Choose "Next"(note the checkbox “always start in wizard mode" is active)
3. Choose backup files and settings
4. Choose "let me choose what to backup”, then press "Next"
5. Click on the little plus symbol on the left of “my computer”, a list will appear, then choose System State, then press "Next"
6. Click on the browse button to specify a place for keeping this backup, then type a name for it(i.e. My first system backup)
Note: For some reasons it is recommended not to keep this file on drive "C"
Note: This file needs about 500 MB disk space
7. Depending on your system, it may take about 15 minutes to complete the backup process
Now that a backup process is complete, you can restore anything wrong you have done to your system. Here is the way to this:

1. Follow this path:
Start |all programs |accessories |system tools | backup
2. Choose "Next"(note the checkbox “always start in wizard mode" is active)
3. Choose restore files and settings, then press “Next”
4. From the backed up files list choose "System State”, then press Next
5. Just click on the finish button and you will receive a message about system state backup, press OK.
6. Depending on your system, it may take about 20 minutes to complete the restore process

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:36 PM

I suggest that you get the freeware program named Erunt, which automatically creates backups of your registry.

ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.
Freeware

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

#3 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:43 PM

I really thank you for your sugestion,and i hope it will be better than my sugestion.

#4 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

I have just downloaded the sofware and it was excellent.i suggest everyone to use this software,although knowing windows utilities are helpful.

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:05 PM

I also am downloading this utility and anticipate increased awareness of the issue involved as I work with it,
thank you Enthusiast.

Thank you, mcheraghimn, for your capable & thoughtful thread starter.
Negotiating the finer points of the winXP OS can always use clarification
and your tutorial certainly helps.

Edited by phawgg, 01 September 2006 - 11:09 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:28 AM

There are many different ways to solve problems - this "HowTo" by mcheraghimn is an excellent example of that. It's an ideal way for someone to backup their registry if they don't want to try ERUNT.

Thanks for the tip mcheraghimn!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

Gentlemen,

My OS is XP Home. When I follow >Start |all programs |accessories |system tools | backup< there is 'backup'. Is that because my OS is Home, and not Professional?

Best wishes whatapalaver

#8 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:45 AM

Sorry, i meant 'no reply'

whatapalaver

#9 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:47 AM

Old age does terrible things to the brain. I meant 'no backup'.

whatapalaver

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

Excerpt from above link:
Method 3: Backing up the whole registry ("System state")
For backing up the whole registry, use the NTBackup utility to back up the System State. The System State includes the registry, the COM+ Class Registration Database, and your boot files. See section "Back Up the Whole Registry" in the following article:

HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP

NOTE: NTBACKUP is not installed by default in Windows XP Home Edition. Install it using the instructions available at: Q302894.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:35 PM

i think whatapalaver must follow this path;
control panel| Performances and maintances| backup your data-----
>windows home editition doesn't have backup tool ,so if you have your windows home edition CD,in the valueadd folder search this:"Backup",then if an executable file with a name like this(or sth like ntbackup.exe)will be shown, that would install backup tool

#12 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:32 AM

Thanks mcheraghimn.

Reading this reminded me to to check out my ERUNT backups. In my case these are situated at Start/MyComputer/HDD©/WINDOWS/ERDNT/AutoBackup - and each folder is 37.8MB.
ERUNT is a great utility which automatically backs up each time you reboot so, if left, can use a significant amount of storage. If you've been using it for a while it would probably pay to delete some of the older entries.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#13 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:59 AM

Thank you mcheraghimn. I had half guessed that Home doesn't have backup. I will do what you say.

Best wishes. whatapalaver

#14 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:31 AM

I suggest that you get the freeware program named Erunt, which automatically creates backups of your registry.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Hello,

ERUNT has an extra feature that optimizes the registry file.... what it is all about and is it safe??? anyway i would say that ERUNT is a good tool.

Posted Image

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

#15 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:45 AM

Erunt now automatically backs up my registry each time I boot up.

When I install Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0, it deletes three of my drives, E, D, and F. It is a recognised problem with Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 and the appropriate Adobe Forum has a fact sheet with instructions how to alter the registry to prevent it from happening.

Tomorrow, a technician will do that and I am confident that before he does anything he will backup the registry, but I want to make my own backup and keep it in a safe place, just in case !

Question 1 - Erunt apparently puts back the backup, but is it better to download the latest Erunt automatic backup to a disc and put it back from the disc?

I'm going to watch the technician, and hopefully learn. But, I'm wondering.

Question 2 - If the 'tweaking' does the trick and Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 then has a happy relationship with my three drives, ie. it doesn't kill them, would it be inadvisable ever to do a system restore to a date before the technician did the 'tweaking' ? I'm thinking that it would.

Question 3 - If a system restore becomes necessary after the technician's 'tweaking' to cure the Adobe problem, and, after that restore it is apparent that it has upset the Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 relationship with the three drives, could I use a backup of the registry made immediately before the technician does his 'tweaking' to reverse the damage, or would I use the 'reverse system restore' button?

I.E. Will a 'reverse system restore' reverse any changes that have been made to a registry?

Question 4 - In other words, if Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 ever proves to be more trouble than it is worth, would I be able to remove it, sling it, and go back to the time when Adobe PE4.0 had not caught my imagination.

If I'm talking or thinking codswhallop, tell me.

Best wishes whatapalaver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users