Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

abnormally high temperatures in my system

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jshambaugh

jshambaugh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

So i've been running my system for awhile and i am getting bsod every once in awhile and i downloaded coretemp and my pc is running really high and i do not know why.

Im running a i7 4790k 4.0ghz

I have a side case fan 200mm, a 200mm fan on top, 2 140 mm in the front and a 120 on the back. Graphics card has its own designated 2 fans built in. My cpu cooling is a thermaltake ring 12 silent pro with its 140mm fan aswell. I am not understanding why my cpu is so hot? does it mean that it is faulty?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

What is the temperature?

The maximum operating case temperature is just a hair above 74 degrees C.  (Specs here).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:03 AM

Previous topic by OP:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/638717/bsod-crashes-while-gaming-help/#entry4170968 ,

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:47 PM

Please download and run CPUID's HWMonitor.  This will list the temperatures for the major components.  Make a screenshot of these and post them in your topic as an attachment.  If you require instructions for attaching the image I've provided instructions below.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Bulletz4Breakfast

Bulletz4Breakfast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:51 PM

Just reseat the cooler and see what happens.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

Just reseat the cooler and see what happens.

Why don't you wait until you know if there is a heat related problem before making suggestions.  I would also suggest that reseating the CPU fan be one of the last things you would need to suggest.  If this is done the thermal compound would need to be cleansed off and a fresh application applied.  A good portion of the time a simple cleaning will resolve a overheating issue... if one exists.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

That CPU has crappy paste under heat spreader so it's designed to run quite hot.

Then again, what is your "high temperature"?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:14 PM

Then again, what is your "high temperature"?

This question has been asked, but never answered.

I cannot count the number of threads I've participated in, both here and elsewhere, where people are wailing and crying about the operating temperatures being "too high" because the software they're using to do the checks has inaccurate information in its database for a given CPU.

One should always look at the manufacturer's specifications for the normal operating temperature range plus what the critical temperature is (which is very often specified).  It is not unusual, at all, for a CPU under high load to be operating near or at its maximum normal operating temperature while under load.  CPUs and automobile engines are not all that different in that they always run hotter when under greater load with a given ambient temperature and so long as they don't go over the "overheat limit" they're just fine.

If you're running near the top of the normal operating temperature range at rest then something's off, and as often as not it's the result of a collection of crud on the heat dispersal mechanisms and/or thermal paste breakdown.  I have not seen the latter nearly so often as I have seen the former when anything seems to be running a bit warm to hot.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:45 PM

Previous topic by OP:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/638717/bsod-crashes-while-gaming-help/#entry4170968 .

Louis

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

hamluis,

I saw your post.  However, if someone directly asks a questioner for a data point I don't think it's too much to ask for them to actually supply that information themselves.

I just plowed through that post a bit more carefully and finally found the temperature data reported.   Accounting for error, 70-75 degrees C under load does not qualify as high, as it's the maximum allowed "normal" operating temperature.

Some threads that confirm this, and give good data that throttling doe not occur until around 90 degrees C:

https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23517 

https://communities.intel.com/thread/54422

and, finally, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

It is clear that 70 - 74 degrees C, under a heavy load, is not anywhere near to what Intel considers "hot" for this processor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users