Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloud storage, eg Mega - safe or not?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Waynefb2002

Waynefb2002

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:01 PM

Hi folks,
I'm seriously running out of space on my phone and my laptop so I'd like to start routinely using a cloud storage option.
Of the various options out there, 'Mega' is by far the most generous for free storage space (compared to Dropbox etc).
However, I've never heard of Mega. Are they a good and well-established company?
They seem to have all their bases covered re security in terms of hacking or viruses - but what are the chances of waking up one morning and finding they've gone bankrupt and all my files gone up in smoke?
I emailed their support team and they gave lots of assurances re hacking etc but seemed to evade the issue of contingencies in case they go bust. (There are some unfavorable articles on the net but these seem to be down to bitterness on behalf of previous owner or something so not impartial.)
What are your thoughts/opinions?
Well established safe firm or fly by nights? Any safer cloud alternatives?
Thanks in advance for all help.
Best wishes,
Wayne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

My trust in an cloud storage option (even the well established ones) is always limited. My attitude is that the only person who will ever care as much about my data as I do is myself. As such, the way I look at it is that if I want my data backed up on a regular basis in a way that assures I will be able to retrieve it, then that means I always need to do some local backup/storage of my data. While an online cloud storage (or backup) option should also be backing up their storage servers, there is no guarantee that they will go out of their way to restore something that got nuked for any number of reasons. So, for me personally, any data that I put online, I also have at least one copy locally (but typically more than one copy).

And then there is the issue of privacy. There are just some things/data that I will NOT store online.

After that saying all that, it is really a personal decision. When I do use an online cloud service, I tend to go with the larger ones with an established reputation. But, then I am also more than willing to pay for such services, so I am not overly concerned with how much free online storage they offer.

So, really it comes down to how much potential risk do you want to take. You likely will never truly know how likely it might be that any such online cloud service might go out of business and disappear with little to no warning (I would tend to assume that the larger ones with well established reputations might at least offer a substantial warning so that you could get your data off the servers). So, I cannot say how likely this particular service is to stick around or how they might behave in the future.

And that is why my best suggestion is to point back to my first paragraph...and recommend to keep at least one copy of any data local. Of course, this then means more local storage (i.e. maybe an external hard drive). And additional local storage will not be free the overwhelming, vast majority of the time.

#3 Waynefb2002

Waynefb2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:25 PM

Thanks Smax for such a prompt reply. Sounds good advice. Yup I think I will have to spend a few hours backing up to ext hard drive. I'll leave on mega only stuff I would like to have, but could feasibly live without.

Anyone else have any thoughts on mega? It's just that I hadn't heard of them at all until I started researching cloud options.

Edited by Platypus, 17 February 2017 - 07:21 PM.
Removed quote of deleted text

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

@ Waynefb2002

Have a look at this link for what seems a reasonably balanced view -

https://www.cloudwards.net/review/mega/

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Platypus, 17 February 2017 - 07:22 PM.
Removed reference to deleted text

#5 Waynefb2002

Waynefb2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

Thank you very much.
Also, I did get another email reply from their support and they did say that they would warn users if bankruptcy etc was likely. So on reflection, I'm getting the idea that with caution, they should be ok. ☺ Thanks again.

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:32 AM

There are lots of free cloud storage accounts available in assorted incremental sizes....

Do you need more than the free amounts offered by Google Drive, One Drive, DropBox, PCloud, Magenta, MediaFire, etc....?

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#7 Waynefb2002

Waynefb2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

Hi,
Mediafire and pcloud seem best of those you mention, both offering 10gb (I'm already using Google drive for other stuff).
Mega are offering 50gb. Are there reasons why I might be better going with pcloud or mediafire, despite smaller size allowance? 10gb might be enough but I'm tempted by the 50gb.
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users