Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VHS to DVD Conversion Software Just Providing a Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 peterfoster

peterfoster

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

I wonder if anyone can help, please. I'm trying to digitalise some VHS Video Cassettes.

I've just bought a USB VHS To DVD Audio Video Converter Adapter. This includes an Easycap "card" and Homesearch VHStoDVD 3.0SE software. I have an Alienware X51 machine running Windows 10.

I've installed the software (the software cd states it is the Windows 10 version) and connected up the kit from the USB port to my VHS deck using the wiring provided. The programme opens fine with a blue screen but when I play a video cassette the blue screen doesn't change - i.e. it remain blue. (Earlier today I tested out the VHS player I'm using for this exercise by playing a cassette successfully through a TV screen) The yellow/green light on the "Easycap" card remains illuminated throughout.

The options tab of the software tells me that the Video Device is "USB Video Device" and that the Audio Device is "Line (2-USB Audio Codec)" These are the only options available under the "options" tabs for "Video Device" and "Audio Device."

If I start a New Project and press the "record" button the window shows that a recording (of the blank screen) is taking place as the record timer is moving and the size of the file being created is increasing. I stop the recording and save the "project" but when I find the file that I've created (of the blank screen) there is nothing in the file. I have checked Device Manager and have searched for updated drivers and Device manager tells me that the Drivers are up to date.

Any help anyone can give me would be gratefully received. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

Is your test tape a personal tape or a commercial tape?  Most of the products that will allow you to digitize a video cassette tape will not work with commercial tapes that have copy protection.

#3 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

It's a personal tape.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 3,942 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

"...I'm trying to digitalise some VHS Video Cassettes..."  Wifey and I have been trying to do that for some time.  I'm trying to visualize what you have as to hardware and software.  Are you able to convert a VHS recording to mp4 or any other "hard-drive based" format? I'm asking because we've been able to convert mp4 into DVD video.  I'm wondering if this is going to be a two-step process.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald [sevenforums]

#5 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:40 PM

I may have to consider that work-around if I'm unable to progress my current route. Here's the kit I bought-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-VHS-To-DVD-Audio-Video-Converter-Adapter-Full-Scart-Capture-RCA-Cable-Win10-/331912594106?hash=item4d478842ba:g:n04AAOSwhOVXdNYK

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,740 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

Next guess is a cabling issue.  Can you post a picture of the back of the VCR with wires connected?

#7 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

Many thanks, Kilroy.

The first picture shows the wiring set-up overall. The leads starting from the USB to EasyCAP "Card" device. Then from the "Card" device via two sets of composite cables to a male Scart connector. 

The second shows the female Scart connector at the back of the VHS player (it's the lower of the two connectors shown in the picture) to which I have connected the male Scart connector.

Attached Files

#8 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

This is a picture of the software cd.

Attached Files

#9 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

Strangely, I loaded the software on to my Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite S70 Laptop and I found that I COULD see "proper stuff" on the "screen" when I loaded the software but only stuff via my Webcam! When I pressed the "options" button the only choice I had for "Video Device" was "Toshiba Webcam - HD" and the only choice for "Audio Device" was ""Microphone - Conexant Smart Audio - HD" 

I hope that helps.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

I've tried a lot of different adapters and software packages that were even close to reliable or easy to use.  Hardware adapters are hit and miss, internal capture cards are too prone to being interrupted  by other devices and that's just the video portion.  Seen many set ups that were nice but it was studio gear and far beyond my budget.  A FUNAI VHS/DVD recorder solved the first step, the composite video and audio transposed to digital and burned to a DVD.  Takes two hours to play a tape and burn thedisk but it makes that first step easier.  Once in digital form the audio and video are synced and editing is simpler.  Too expensive to pay someone.

Edited by mjd420nova, 14 February 2017 - 06:39 PM.

#11 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

If I can't get the kit to work I'll return it and buy something else. Any suggestions?

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,740 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

You're connecting to the bottom connector on the VCR, correct?

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 3,942 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

If I can't get the kit to work I'll return it and buy something else. Any suggestions?

The only good idea I have:  converting mp4 to DVD material via anything similar to Digiarty's WinX's HD Converter Deluxe.  I'm only mentioning a specific product to serve as a geeky, technical example of what is needed or wanted that can convert an mp4 into a DVD playable.  i have no idea of what free products are available, again, Google and Bing are our friends.  Now, getting a VHS converted into an mp4 -- I have no idea on how to do that.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald [sevenforums]

#14 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

You're connecting to the bottom connector on the VCR, correct?

Yes.

#15 peterfoster

peterfoster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

I've got 6 USB ports on my PC. 2 at the front and 4 at the back. I  have plugged the "EasyCap" device into one of the front ports but I thought I would try plugging it into the one of the rear ports and it all works! I hadn't realised that the USB ports at the back of the PC were in some way superior to the two at the front!

Many thanks to everyone for their input in this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users