Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly slow and unresponsive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lunloo

lunloo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:11 AM

My desktop computer had no issues until the other day. The moment I tried to do anything on it, every program/command/etc. was lagged and slow, freezing and unresponsive. The computer does work, but something that should take a couple seconds (like opening up the program files window for instance) is taking up to a few minutes. It feels like it's being hung up, because if I try to multitask at all, it freezes up and then 5 minutes later, it all finally 'goes through' to do the commands I prompted earlier. 

I've done the whole nine yards on troubleshooting, and everything has come back clean or hasn't helped. I've run virus scans, malewarebytes, marked c: drive as dirty so it would do a full scan/repair. I've looked at the event viewer and don't see any errors. My last ditch effort was to clean install windows 10 in case it was a corrupt system file, but that still didn't help. 

I'm not a pro in the computer fix category, but the only thing I can think of at this point is replacing my main hard drive. I figured I'd ask here before I did.

When my computer boots up, my first hard drive has "error occurred 0,1" in red as the type/status, while the other ones says "member disk 0,1" in green. That's the only reason I'm thinking it's a hard drive issue.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 2600K

3.4 GHz

Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65

3 WD10EALS 1TB hard drives

Edited by lunloo, 14 February 2017 - 11:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ziltoid

Ziltoid

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

Have you tried a disk-check?

I personally would start there. Could be HDD or RAM issues (these would be my first port of call if I had eliminated the AV possibility).

Have you tried sitting and watching your task manager for System performance too?

Just some ideas.

#3 lunloo

lunloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:43 PM

I personally would start there. Could be HDD or RAM issues (these would be my first port of call if I had eliminated the AV possibility).

Have you tried sitting and watching your task manager for System performance too?

Just some ideas.

I did try disk check a few separate times, and the results were clean. I even manually marked my C: drive as dirty so that it'd fully scan again to say that it was ok. 

I haven't sat and looked at the task manager/system performance, I will definitely try that. 

#4 Ziltoid

Ziltoid

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

Just some ideas.

I did try disk check a few separate times, and the results were clean. I even manually marked my C: drive as dirty so that it'd fully scan again to say that it was ok. 

I haven't sat and looked at the task manager/system performance, I will definitely try that. 

I had huge performance issues for a short while, even once I'd reloaded Windows and upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 8GB - I realised it was my AV absolutely caning my HDD. It was running at 100% most of the time. Switched to something more lightweight, that solved the issue. Before the swap I would wait ages, ghosting on windows when I opened or closed them. Machine was grinding to a halt.

Might not be the case here, but you'll lose nothing by trying.

#5 lunloo

lunloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

I just checked my RAM, and I've got 16 GB and only using 40%.

However, the AV could be something I should look into. I would consider my desktop to be used heavy on the visual side of things. I'm mainly using it for gaming and 3D modelling, so I'm running a lot of programs (at once usually) that may have run down my computer over time. 

So you figured that out by watching your system performance? I've got two AMD Radeon HD 5700 graphic cards, but my entire computer is about 6 years old.

#6 Ziltoid

Ziltoid

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

I just checked my RAM, and I've got 16 GB and only using 40%.

However, the AV could be something I should look into. I would consider my desktop to be used heavy on the visual side of things. I'm mainly using it for gaming and 3D modelling, so I'm running a lot of programs (at once usually) that may have run down my computer over time. 

So you figured that out by watching your system performance? I've got two AMD Radeon HD 5700 graphic cards, but my entire computer is about 6 years old.

Yeah, I just opened up Task Manager and watched the Processes. Then I just clicked on the Disk bit to sort them by order of highest usage to lowest. I was using Avira at the time. Using something much more lightweight now.

Like I said though, could be a case of this not being your issue at all. Just worth a check.

Edited by Ziltoid, 15 February 2017 - 05:19 PM.

#7 pcvoyage

pcvoyage

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:12 PM

I had same problem - 100% disk activity, yet CPU 98% free, RAM usage less than 50%.  Tried many suggestions, including disk error checking.

HDD light on steady, then it would be mostly off, but things very slow to respond of not at all, then PC would lock up.

I eventually got a no-boot disk read error.

Resolved issue - (took me long enough) Opened the PC case and looked around, including checking the SATA data cable.  It didn't seem to be sitting right, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in firmly.   Rebooted and all worked perfectly, super high speed.  Should have thought of the cable issue from DOS days.

Windows 7 SP1, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB Drive (petitioned to C D E F drives)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users