Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bootmgr file and boot folder in non-system drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VoidsX

VoidsX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:24 AM

Hi,

I had unhidden Windows files because I was looking for something and by accident I found a boot file and folder in the E partition, My Windows is on C and D is a logical drive (non system), C and D are on the same physical drive while E has a drive on its own. My question is provided these files are safe to delete how can I delete them? Windows just puts them back on the next restart, and also how did they get there in the first place?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by VoidsX, 14 February 2017 - 10:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

What is the folder name/title?

Louis

#3 VoidsX

VoidsX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

The folder is called "Boot", inside it is a bunch of language folders called cs-CZ, da-DK, de-DE, en-US ... etc and the file is "bootmgr"

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:33 PM

IMO...could be caused by backups of the O/S.  I have several on my system due to placing backups on different partitions/drives.  IMO, the folders are meaningless because the partitions themselves have not been set as active/bootable.  I can delete them but I just don't bother.

Louis

#5 VoidsX

VoidsX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

Would this be created by taking an image of the system C drive? thats the only thing I did on that drive. I'm going to try and delete them and hopefully not break the partition itself.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

That folder has nothing to do with the partition it's on...if Windows is not installed on the same partition.  It's just a set of files which has been created and which serves no purpose...just like many of the log files which will be generated by Windows.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users