Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 old school

old school

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

I'm having a problem where my computer just freezes during start up. The computer will turn on. Like the lights are on and all my fans are spinning. But the farthest it'll go to is the ASUS Motherboard screen. Which is the 1st screen my computer normally starts. The screen has a prompt telling me to press Delete to enter setup. I press delete and my keyboard just cuts out (gets unresponses) like 2 seconds after the screen comes on. I tried to test it by turning the computer off and on. I would press the caps lock button to see how long that works for but it'll only work for like 2 seconds before the keyboard gets unresponsive. I tried to press delete in those 2 seconds before my keyboard cuts out. But then the screen prompt changes to entering setup but it won't get any further than that. It'll just be stuck saying entering setup. And what sucks is I can't even get to the set up screen to check if anything is wrong with my system since I'm stuck on the motherboard screen.

I'm running Windows XP SP2.
AMD 3000+ Processor
2x 512 MB Ram
160 HD Drive
450w Power Supply
Asus A8V E 939 Socket Via K8T890 Motherboard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:32 PM

hi, old school,

do you hear any beep codes when starting computer, have you just installed any new hardware, (remove it and try again),have you another keyboard you can try?

what was the last thing you were doing with the computer before the problem started?

you could maybe try removing a stick of ram at a time in case one is faulty

good luck

#3 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:46 PM

I want to know that if you hear any beeps like usual(Just one beep during startup means everything is ok)and you use PS2 port for your keyboard?
This problem should not be depended on your operating system.
When the computer is turned off plug out the keyboard cable from PS2 port and if it supports USB,connect it to USB port.Otherwise get a keyboard that can support USB.Then boot your computer up,before seeing motherboard screen ,repeatedly press Del,till the end of the motherboard screen and you enter computer (bios) setup.On the last tab(exit), there is an option like this:load setup defaults--click enter on this option and press ok. then press F10 to save and exit.This should solve the problem.turn off your computer and connect your old keyboard to PS2 port to see it works or not.
Let me know about it.
Asus motherboards have some problems about PS2 ports .I myself always have a problem about mouse PS2 port.

#4 old school

old school
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:49 PM

Yeah I hear beep codes when I start my computer. I tried another keyboard. But on my other keyboard, the lights come on for like the caps lock but goes off immediately. I tried to remove my Ram. I took out my left one and when I rebooted it with my right memory stick. My computer said system failed memory test. Leaving the left one in their and rebooting it I got a CPU failed test. I tried using the right RAM that works and turns on but I still can't get past the Asus motherboard. And my keyboard (well both) are still non responsive.

Yeah both of my keyboards use PS2 ports. I don't have one that has a USB port. I'm going to try hooking up my keyboards to the computer I'm using now. If they work then it could be that my PS2 port is dead.

The computer was working fine last night. I just turned it off for the night and when I went to turn it back on this morning, that's when my computer started acting up.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by old school, 01 September 2006 - 05:53 PM.

#5 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

I forgot sth small,do not boot up your PC until 20 seconds has gone after you turned your PC off.

#6 old school

old school
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:05 PM

I plugged my keyboard that wasn't working on my other computer to my older computer and the keyboard works fine. So I guess I need to get a USB keyboard before I can see if it's just my PS2 port thats messed up.

Edited by old school, 01 September 2006 - 06:06 PM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:07 PM

USB doesn't usually load on most motherboards until Windows starts, so a PS keyboard is preferable.

Can you boot into safe mode?

If you can, choose last known good configuration.

It may take a long time for Windows to load, so as long as it doesn't freeze be patient.

How long has this problem been occurring?

#8 old school

old school
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:12 PM

Well part of the problem is I can't even get passed the motherboard screen where it says press del to enter set up. I can sometimes make it say entering set up on the motherboard screen by jamming the del button on my PS2 port keyboard as soon as I turn the computer on before it dies out but it'll say entering setup mode on the motherboard screen but it won't go any further than that.

This problem just happened this morning when I went to turn my computer on. I had the computer for about 10 months without any problems.

Edited by old school, 01 September 2006 - 06:47 PM.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:33 PM

Describe the beep code you hear and tell us what bios you have. (it will state it on the screen)

Try booting with the keyboard completely unplugged. Does that allow it to proceed through Windows startup?

Do you have the Windows XP retail installation disk or a Manufacturer's restore disk?

#10 old school

old school
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:42 PM

Yeah I did the restart without the keyboard plugged in earlier and it still didn't go past the motherboard screen.

Yeah I have a Windows installation disk.

I have an all new problem now. The computer doesn't even turn on now. :thumbsup:

#11 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:53 PM

I have no problems about usb keyboards for booting,so i don't think youwould have any problems.
For enthiusiast: Old School has AMI bios.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:53 PM

Well, that eliminates the keyboard as the problem.

Unfortunately this is sounding like overheating after your last post.

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

Did/do you hear the fans running when you power on the computer? (it may need to cool off for a while now).

When was the last time that dust was cleaned from the inside of the computer?

AMI beep codes
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 September 2006 - 06:55 PM.

#13 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:03 PM

What Old School says reminds me exactly what happeded to my ASUS Motherboard,now the computer doesn't start ,you can do what i did:Just sleep well tonight(if it is night),and wait at least foe 4 hours.
I think the computer will boot,but maybe USB keyboard Help you.
if you mention your beeps(number of beeps,long or short,and times between them,)i might help you.
Remember: do not do what you do not know

#14 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:13 PM

hi, old school,

have you some ram from another comp you can try in case both your ram sticks are faulty?

also, if you cant power up at all now, have you another power supply you could try, maybe borrow one from another computer? if not, try disconnecting hard drives and cd drives and any other power using hardware and see if computer will start to post then.

#15 old school

old school
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:21 PM

Yeah looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit until I try to turn it back on. Hopefully nothing was shorted when I was turning it off and on. I hope it was just overheating and it'll turn back on in a couple of hours. Well when the computer was on, the fans where going. I'm going to and clean the dust out since the computer is open. If my computer comes back on I'll tell you guys how the beeps sound. I'll probably pick up a USB keyboard sometime tomorrow. The computer btw is a desktop.

Thanks again for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users