Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much can things change in about 2 months time?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel_47

Daniel_47

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:21 AM

Hi

I am planning to buy an i5-6500 build, but I don't have the money to buy the rig yet. I need some time to save up some money. How much things can change to the point you need to alter your planned rig in about 2 months time?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

"Things" are changing all the time...it's impossible to answer such a general question, IMO, since the nature of life...and computing...is constant change.

When it comes to buying anything...it seems to me that the key question should be "What meets the needs/desires that I have today", rather than projecting out into the unknown and unforeseeable.

Louis

#3 Daniel_47

Daniel_47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:13 AM

Should I wait out Intel's Cannonlake? That's 8th gen CPU.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

Cannonlake is at most 7.th generation.

Skylake is 6th generation. Kaby Lake is same as Skylake so it's only marketing BS that Kaby Lake is 7.th generation. Cannonlake is Kaby Lake made with 10nm process.

For now it seems that AMD Ryzen (launch March 2?) will make all LGA115X Intel i3, i5 and i7 CPU's not worth buying. Ryzen seem to be faster or offer much better price/performance ratio (or BOTH), also Ryzen motherboards are much better than LGA115x boards (because less I/O bottlenecks).

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Skylake is 6th generation. Kaby Lake is same as Skylake so it's only marketing BS that Kaby Lake is 7.th generation. Cannonlake is Kaby Lake made with 10nm process.

For now it seems that AMD Ryzen (launch March 2?) will make all LGA115X Intel i3, i5 and i7 CPU's not worth buying. Ryzen seem to be faster or offer much better price/performance ratio (or BOTH), also Ryzen motherboards are much better than LGA115x boards (because less I/O bottlenecks).

LOL! That's some funny stuff, there, I gotta tell ya! :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:30 AM

LOL! That's some funny stuff, there, I gotta tell ya! :)

Well, AMD didn't release Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5 series yet.

However Ryzen 7 already makes every LGA2011-3 and top end LGA1151 CPU's not worth buying. Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5 will make same for i3 and i5 CPU's.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

Since the obvious purpose of this topic...is to solicit all sorts of opinions, fantasies, etc...that makes every comment fair game for criticism, rebuttal, and other logical proceedings.  This does not pave the way for sarcasm, personal attackes, and such.  If you have a point to make...or a statement to render...please do so within the context of the BC Forum Rules...with the intent of providing something requested by the OP that just might be informational in nature.

Thanks for understanding :).

Louis

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

I can't see a reason for choosing a 6500 over a 7600K, given the fairly close pricing spread these days, unless the former is on some massive clearance sale/MB combo bundle or something...' IMO, the 7600K is worth the extra mere $35 at today's Amazon pricing ($197 vs. $235), although you will need a cpu heatsink/fan if you opt for the 7600K. (Even if you had to choose a budget board with no OC capabilities, I'd still opt for the 7600K for the extra 600 MHz, at 3.8 GHz vs. 3.2 GHz...)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#9 alexoler

alexoler

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:10 AM

Ryzen is coming up and prices are gonna drop when ryzen comes out so what i would suggest doing is wait until ryzen comes out

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

Ryzen 5 is coming up and prices are gonna drop when ryzen 5 comes out so what i would suggest doing is wait until ryzen 5 comes out

Fixed, Ryzen 7 is already out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users