Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Steps For Reading Old Hard Drive In New Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ProTech Service

ProTech Service

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:33 PM

Im transfering data to new computer off old hard drive. Windows OS 98. Its an old dinosaur of a computer with no CD/RW capabilities or Ethernet.

I wanted to just copy files to cd but cant. Then I bought a crossover cable thinking I could just transfer that way but cant do that either.

So I went to final step of removing hard drive and setting it to SLAVE in the new computer. I think I did everything OK with jumper settings and slave drive.

But when I turned computer on it didnt read the other hard drive. Im sure Im suppose to set it to read the drive. But not sure how to.

Could you please give me the steps to doing this....I thought simple process. Im going to move data to an HP 3.0 GHZ Pent. 4 computer with 512 RAM and Windows XP OS......250 GB hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:38 PM

Hi

Firstly , ensure the IDE cable is connected properly and fully and that the power cable has also been connected. Make sure after connected that IDE auto-detection is selected in the BIOS.

What is the manufacturer /model of the hard drive?

Is the New Hard Drive SATA or IDE?

Hope I can help.
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users