Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regarding Upgrading From XP to other like Windows 7,Windows 8,Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 SHEIKHSUHAIL

SHEIKHSUHAIL

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:15 AM

I am presently using Windows XP on my computer and i want to install Windows 7 on it but when i try to install Windows 7 from Bootable DVD or Flash drive, my computer hangs at the start of the installation when the four coloured Windows 7 Logo appears....
When i try to install Windows 10,aftertry to boot from Bootable Flash drive, it shows "Windows/system32/boot/winload.exe" is missing.
Plz help me..

COMPUTER CONFIGURATION:
1GB RAM, CORE 2 DUO Processor, 82945G Chipset Family, Presently Running Windows XP-SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:32 AM

One Gig of Ram aint gunna be enough to run Win 7 for starters , 2 Maybe / but 4gig at a Min.

Download Speccy and post the results for more Info.  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Speccy also allows you to save a report of your computer's hardware in the event that you wish to share it with another person or support forum for troubleshooting purposes.

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

#3 SHEIKHSUHAIL

SHEIKHSUHAIL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:55 AM

When the second snapshot appears, then how to publish it....
Any other way...

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:23 AM

Copy it to your Clipboard , or Copy the Url in the second Snapshot

Then Paste in your Post.

Ive never done it or needed to , so hope that works.

Edited by Havachat, 14 February 2017 - 06:37 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:31 AM

For reference purposes only:  Feel free to use anytime...all you have to do is just copy/paste.

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.\

#6 SHEIKHSUHAIL

SHEIKHSUHAIL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:49 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/62wBku3KyPB5giRn7pp1nzM

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hi, SHEIKSUHAIL.

Well, for starters, before you go ANY further, you really need to install some more RAM. It should be easy enough; out of your four available slots, you only have one stick of DDR2 RAM currently installed. That leaves 3 more to play with.

Most versions of Windows don't run very well with small amounts of RAM; they start using the 'page file' area on the HDD a lot, and your hard drive runs an order of magnitude slower than your system memory. This doesn't make for a very good user experience!

Windows XP was the very last of the older versions that could, at a pinch, get away with smaller amounts of RAM. From Vista onwards (7, 8, 8.1 & 10) they all run better, the more memory you have installed. RAM is the 'working area' for your computer; the more data it can hold in memory at any one time, the less it has to go scampering off to the hard drive to find what it needs, for what you've asked it to do.

Is this a laptop, or a desktop? Make, model & model number, would all be very helpful. It will give us some idea of which type of memory modules you need.....desktops and laptops use totally different types of modules, y'see.

We're none of us very good with a crystal ball..! The more information you can give us, the easier it will be for us to advise and help.....although from what info we have at present, I'm guessing you have a tower, or desktop PC.

It's obviously an OEM model; none of the motherboard specs are actually available in your Speccy report, so that doesn't give us anything to go on, I'm afraid. You should be able to install up to 8 GB, with DDR2 and 4 slots.....but we do need to know what your hardware is, please. We can then advise further with the RAM issue; what to buy, where to go to get it at the best price, etc. 'Matched' sets usually work better, too.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 February 2017 - 09:11 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#8 SHEIKHSUHAIL

SHEIKHSUHAIL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:11 AM

Yes, it is a desktop computer.But how can i check my make, model and model number. Plz help in finding....

Thanks
SUHAIL

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,132 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:22 AM

You need a larger hard drive...current C: partition is too small for Windows to function effectively.  Free space on C: currently reflected at 7% while the suggested minimum is 15%.

Louis

#10 SHEIKHSUHAIL

SHEIKHSUHAIL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:38 PM

That is not the reason because i have tried to install Windows 7 when my 'C' drive was 20-25GB free....

Thanks
SUHAIL

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,132 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

Then...I would look to the installation media/method/source of Windows/hard drive.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 February 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#12 SHEIKHSUHAIL

SHEIKHSUHAIL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:19 PM

So what i have to do........... 

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,132 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:47 AM

20GB of free space...is not sufficient for installing Windows 7, in my experience.

In order to install Win 7 on a drive as small as yours...you need probably 30-35GB of available hard drive space.  The only way that your system as currently configured...can reflect that much space...would be if you delete your XP install, during which you will lose everything currently on the system.

1GB of RAM is the minimum MS recomments if you attempt to install a 32-bit version of Win 7.  2GB is the minimum recommendation for 64-bit version of Win 7.

Louis

#14 SHEIKHSUHAIL

SHEIKHSUHAIL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

I had already tried to install Windows 7 with this condition and also delete Windows XP but nothing happens

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,132 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

Are you saying that you cannot format the hard drive, thereby deleting your XP install?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users