Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turns on but Nothing Happens

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ant_Teh_Nee

Ant_Teh_Nee

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:19 PM

So I've been tinkering with an older Gateway Windows XP machine to upgrade it, but when I turn it on, nothing happens. The fans spin up and everything, but it doesn't boot into Windows, the BIOS never shows up, AND my monitor doesn't know what do do with the signal! My monitor just shuts off when I plug it in! I'm particularly concerned with the Hard Drive. It makes no noise. Any help is... well... helpful!

Video of sounds it makes when booted:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

First thing I would do is open it up and check all the connections. :) Results?

(Edit to fix grammar.)

Edited by bwv848, 15 February 2017 - 09:35 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Ant_Teh_Nee

Ant_Teh_Nee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

Well, I'm going to reseat everything on Saturday. I looked in the case and everything was connected.

#4 Ant_Teh_Nee

Ant_Teh_Nee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

Well, turns out that the CPU's heatsink is extremely difficult to remove. Going to put some elbow grease on this thing during the weekend. I'll update with results

#5 Ant_Teh_Nee

Ant_Teh_Nee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:52 AM

'Twas too troublesome to bother removing the heatsink, as I just had an idea.

While messing with an older Windows ME PC, my monitor wasn't plugged in properly. Guess what happened? It turned on, but no post or boot into Windows! Plugged the monitor in and rebooted, and it worked. Maybe it's a similar problem here?

Turns out my monitor is also trying to display the screen in 1080p (and I can't manually switch it), when the integrated graphics probably doesn't support it, so that could explain it too.

Edited by Ant_Teh_Nee, 26 February 2017 - 12:53 AM.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:07 PM

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what to do here. :( I'd try posting over at the Internal Hardware forums.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users