Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create sandbox in Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

System:  Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit

Occasionally I want to download a file via a link in an email. And  I would like to download this file to some type of sandbox so that should the file contain malware, ransonware, etc., my system would be protected. Essentially I would want to double click this file within the sandbox and be 100% assured that NO DAMAGE can be done to my system because any actions the file would take would be kept within the sandbox.

Is this possible?  If so, how is this accomplished?

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2017 - 08:05 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to General Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

One options is to set up a VM running Windows as a guest OS while also having Windows as your host OS. To do this, you would need a VM program such as VirtualBox (free) or VMWare Workstation for Windows (not free).  You can then follow the instructions for that program to setup the VM and install Windows.  Note that you will also need another Windows license (I believe...I don't believe you can use your existing Windows license to also install a guest OS).

With the VM, if something happens to the Windows guest OS, you can then roll it back from a backup of the VM file or many VM programs have "snapshot" (saved states of the VM that you can revert to if something happens).

There are other options that I have heard about, but do not know much about.  One such option is Sandboxie.  I have never used it or done any sort of deep reading/researching of it, so I have not idea of how well it works.  Others might be able to comment.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

What type of files are you talking about? Executables, documents, ... ?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users