Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Win10 from Bootable USB Drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

Has anyone experienced difficulty with this?

I'm trying to do an "install over" reinstall of Windows 10 on the same partition where one that has somehow failed was located before.  I did not choose to format because it's already formatted and I had absolutely no difficulty copying the user data off that drive prior to trying to do a "wipe it all" install.

I get through the "Collecting Information" phase of the install like a champ, but it seems to be stopping dead at the "Copying Windows Files" step of stage 2: Installing Windows.   I'm seeing a slow blinking on my USB drive but I've been sitting at 0% for a while now.

I also have optical media burned, and could use that, but I have no idea why that should behave any differently as far as a Windows 10 installation goes than using bootable USB media created with the Media Creation Tool.

I'll let this sit for a while longer, but it seems to be stalled.

And before anyone asks, I did try using the built-in Reset without keeping feature from the advanced repair dialog and it bombs out part way through just like the Reset keeping my files option did when invoked via that mechanism.

This has really begun to annoy me and I'm getting tempted to use the OEM Dell recovery to take the machine back to Win8 Pro and then trying to do an upgrade install to Windows 10.  It seems like that's extreme to me, and should be unnecessary.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

If the install does not complete try the following. Make sure UEFI mode is enabled and not legacy mode. Note the following instructions will wipe the Dell Windows 8 recovery partition so this may be something you don't want to do. Because the key for 8 is embedded in firmware 8.1 can always be installed using the Media Creation tool for 8.1 but the install media will not have the dell drivers.

Boot the USB flash drive at when you get to the screen asking for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart

list disk

select disk X     Where X is the number associated with the drive Windows will be installed to. For one disk X will be 0

clean                 This will delete all partitions on the disk including the Dell recovery partition by deleting the partition table and set the drive in a clean state

convert GPT      initializes the disk as GPT

exit                    exits out of diskpart

exit                    exits out of command prompt

continue the install

If the client want to keep the Dell recovery partition then I would do as you say and reset to Windows 8,

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

Well, you can scratch the above, unless another weirdness occurs.  This was one of those situations where, for whatever reason, the status simply does not update.  It went from 0% to 100% "instantly" just before moving on to the "Getting files ready for installation" step which is proceeding nicely and for which the percentage status is behaving in the way one would expect:  moving along a few percentage points at a time as the processing occurs.

John:  Thanks.  We were both typing at the same time and your message showed up almost simultaneously with mine.

Edited by britechguy, 13 February 2017 - 06:09 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:17 PM

Well, now we're on to another interesting event that, on the whole, makes no sense.

At the end of the Getting files ready for installation stage the computer needed to restart as a part of the process.  I would have presumed that once it did restart that "The Setup Process" should know already that I'm installing from the USB drive and just continue doing so.  But it appears to be right back to the beginning.

This, to me, is another "Catch 22".  You can't possibly set up UEFI to boot from the hard drive as the first device but it would still have to be the USB drive.

Now, at least, it's flown through the Copy stage and is doing the Getting files ready stage again.

If this is "normal behavior" for a USB install then I think I'll go back to optical media on those machines that support it.  Everything seems to be completely automated as far as the shutdown-restart-continue where I left off mechanism when installing from optical media.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:17 PM

Glad the computer is finally back up and running. Hopefully the client will start creating disk images.

Edit: Once the computer does a restart pull the USB flash drive. See if it boots to Windows then later asks for you to reattach the USB flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 February 2017 - 06:20 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

John,

But it's not back up and running, yet, because the reinstall of Windows 10 from scratch is still not complete.  If I have another cycle like the one I just documented above when I hit the end of the "Getting files ready" stop again I'm going to punt and use a DVD to install instead.

This is a real learning experience if nothing else.  Those have value.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

If the DVD gives the same problem then try the diskpart commands unless you want to keep the reset partition.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:31 PM

John,

Well, now I'm on cycle number three of the Getting files ready.  When this one gives the restart screen I will pull the USB drive.  It just seems bizarre that they would not explicitly note this in the "countdown to restart" dialog that comes up.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:45 PM

Well, after cycle number three of "start from the beginning" as far as my having to accept license terms, etc., it progressed to the Installing features stage and I think it completed.  But the whole installation process started again because I wasn't quick enough in pulling the USB drive.

So I pulled it and did a hard shutdown via the power button.

Now the system is trying to reboot, flashed a screen that seemed to show "Windows 10 on Volume 3", then went black and restarted again.  I'm now at the "Getting Devices Ready" stage of the first boot-up of Win10 and just moved along to the "Getting Ready" with swirling circles.

If this all goes as expected then I'll need to shutdown and tweak UEFI/BIOS on the next restart.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

It seems you USB flash is missing the "press any key to boot from USB" message during boot. After the first boot this makes the system start from the HDD instead of the flash drive.

I always use rufus to put the ISO's on the flash drive, Rufus adds that option to the boot code not sure if the Microsoft tool does the same or not!

Edited by SleepyDude, 13 February 2017 - 06:59 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:21 PM

Well, I had to do another two iterations "from the start" before Windows 10 finally decided that everything was loaded and ready to go.  The machine is now back up and I'm copying the data saved before the wipe back to a "repository folder" so the client can decide how and where he wants to relocate those contents.

Am also snagging a new ISO copy and will probably be using Rufus to create bootable USB media in the future.  I really dislike how the media created using the Media Creation Tool behaves when compared to how the ISO on optical media behaves.

Yeesh, this one was a slog, but an educational slog!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users