Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

momentary power on when psu switch turned on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tVEC

tVEC

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

I am having an issue where my computer will not start at all with the main front switch. It only comes on when I turn on the power switch on the actual PSU. It turns on for 1 or 2 seconds. The fans spin and light up. Then there is a single short beep as it shuts down. I cannot enter BIOS.

What I have tried:

Removing all peripherals such as GPU, sound card, hard drives and ram. No change.

Tested ram one stick at a time.

Disconnected the CPU power. The same thing happens but this time no beep.

Tested the PSU with everything disconnected and the paperclip. The PSU fans spins.

Removed the CMOS battery for several minutes

This is what happened leading up:

I was having crashes/freezes while playing a resource intensive video game. At one point while playing, the computer went dead and just shut down. Upon powering up, I noticed my GPU appeared dead- black screen on monitor, fans did not spin.. I switched over to the motherboard's DVI output which worked fine.

I uninstalled the GPU driver, then shut down and opened up the PC to remove the GPU and restart, then shut down and reinsert the GPU. After I reinserted the GPU I went to restart but the front switch did not turn on the PC. That is when I noticed it only powers up briefly when the PSU switch is turned on.

I'm thinking I probably have a dead GPU. But besides that, either a dead PSU/motherboard. My PSU has lasted 5 years but it was a cheap one. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Gigabyte GA-z68a-dsh-b3

Raidmax 850W PSU

i7-3770k

16GB Gskill RAM

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2017 - 06:51 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Win 7x64

Avast/malwarebytes

Comodo

i7-3770k

Gigabyte ga-z68a-d3h-b3

DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series

Crucial CT250BX1(OS), Crucial M4 128, OCZ Agility 3 60GB(Games)

Sapphire R9 390

Asus Xonar D1 PCI

Raidmax 850ae

CoolerMaster HAF 912

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

I am not quite clear on what you are reporting.

Are you saying that with the GPU completely removed from the computer it works normally but with the GPU installed you get all the symptoms you describe above, or, are you saying that with the ouput lead from the GPU disconnected and connected to the on-board graphics the computer runs normally, with the GPU unit still fitted in the computer ?

If it is the former, with the GPU completely removed from the computer, this definitely points the finger at your graphics card. It sounds like it has developed a short. This will be detected by the PSU's protection circuitry which will automatically shut down almost immediately it is switched on. This would also explain why your front panel switch is doing nothing. So long as the main switch on the back of the computer is in the 'On' position the protection circuitry is running and effectively has already told the PSU 'Don't start !'

If you have a digital multi-meter you could test the GPU - out of the computer - for a short between the +ve input rails and the 0V rail. Use the resistance range starting at about the 10K Ohm level.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 tVEC

tVEC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:33 PM

Chris, thanks for your input.

Sorry if my post was confusing. The computer does not run at all. The only thing the graphics card has to do with it is that it appeared to fail before my power-on issues started. The computer will not start but for a second or 2, with or without the GPU.

What I am asking is does this sound like the PSU or the motherboard? The GPU has nothing to do with it at the moment, but it could have been a symptom of the problem.

I have been meaning to replace the PSU with a better one so I ordered a nice EVGA supernova.

Win 7x64

Avast/malwarebytes

Comodo

i7-3770k

Gigabyte ga-z68a-d3h-b3

Sapphire R9 390

Asus Xonar D1 PCI

Raidmax 850ae

CoolerMaster HAF 912

#4 tVEC

tVEC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

With a new PSU I still have the same problem. If I get one short beep before it shuts down, does that say anything about the CPU?

Win 7x64

Avast/malwarebytes

Comodo

i7-3770k

Gigabyte ga-z68a-d3h-b3

Sapphire R9 390

Asus Xonar D1 PCI

Raidmax 850ae

CoolerMaster HAF 912

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:46 PM

Have a look at this, it''s the beep codes for your mobo -

http://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Faq/816

Can you get into the BIOS when you try to start this computer just to check what BIOS you have, there are three used, Award, AGP and AMI and they have different codes, From the codes listed in the link I suspect you have the AMD BIOS as one short beep from the Award BIOS means system normal and the AGP doesn't list one short beep !  Correction - I have just noticed from your #1 that you cannot get into the BIOS. Does your manual offer any guidance ?

If you do have the AMD BIOS then one short beep indicates a memory problem but you cannot run Memtest without a working computer. All I can suggest is that you try your RAM sticks one at a time in a different computer, or, if you have any other suitable RAM stick try that one instead in this computer. 1 GB of RAM will get a Win 7 computer running - not well, not fast, but running !

I know you said that with you could get the fans to spin by shorting out two of the mobo power lead connections, did you check the voltages while you were at it ?  See this image -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=atx+psu+pinouts&biw=1609&bih=958&tbm=isch&imgil=0tmdBjeAR6c--M%253A%253BXHFSBaEhcP_eqM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.smpspowersupply.com%25252Fconnectors-pinouts.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=0tmdBjeAR6c--M%253A%252CXHFSBaEhcP_eqM%252C_&usg=__hdv6lKcn4x89fTLhaqMhS4XeEN8%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiKn77iopPSAhUJaRQKHZe_BNoQyjcILA&ei=YeakWMrqB4nSUZf_ktAN#imgrc=0tmdBjeAR6c--M:

If your memory shows good in a different computer, or if a known good stick gets the same results in this computer then I suspect you are looking at a mobo problem. If you find you are no further forward post back and I will see if I can get someone with deeper knowledge to have a look at your problem.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users