Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win asks for repair disks but cannot repair automatically.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

Tried ahci to ide but same message. Remember I can fit the old smaller drive and it boots fine, which guides me towards software on the drive rather than bios. As it's my son's laptop I'm waiting for him to return to see what documents he wants to backup before doing a restore

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

Tried ahci to ide but same message. Remember I can fit the old smaller drive and it boots fine, which guides me towards software on the drive rather than bios. As it's my son's laptop I'm waiting for him to return to see what documents he wants to backup before doing a restore

Sorry I missed that piece of information.

Do you have an adapter to connect the drive externally and boot the machine using the old HDD?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#18 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:33 PM

Yes. Can run one externally.

#19 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,502 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:46 PM

You should run a scan with TDSSKiller just in case the MBR on the HDD is infected.

Please don't post the log generated in this section of the forum.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#20 Bulletz4Breakfast

Bulletz4Breakfast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

Just reinstall windows and get it over with.

#21 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Old Fart

• Members
  • 28,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:44 AM

Just reinstall windows and get it over with.

That is a option which should only be suggested when all other options have failed to resolve the problem.  This point hasn't been reached.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#22 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:15 PM

So that was an interesting few days. Put the older drive back in the laptop, ran tds and  it found no infections, ran AVG and it found a few infections which it cured. Reran TDS just to be sure. So good news is that the laptop hardware appears to be OK,

Then connected the larger drive that is giving problems.

On booting up everything went normally and windows started and the explorer page started loading then the screen went completely white and I got a message that there was an example of adobe distiller already loading so it would abort the second, Never seen that before. Ctrl-alt-del achieved nothing and the computer appeared to have locked. Kept trying ctr-alt-dell and it eventually brought up the dialogue screen and I was able to select task manager. No applications were running and I managed to stop all the adobe processes. This did not clear the white screen and closing task manager just left me with white out. Luckily my son had another user set up on the laptop so i managed to switch to that and while it was also white I was able to get the taskbar up so selected and ran AVG.

After AVG ran a reboot was required and the laptop performed as it should on startup.

Slightly concerned that this might be a virus from the larger problematic drive I reran tds and avg both of which reported no threats found.

Thought I would use an online virus check to make triply sure and selected trend's housecall. It started but  then after a long time stuck at 25%. I could see it was still scanning files so thought it might be not updating the screen, so left it running overnight.....1060 minutes after the start it had gotten to 32% and was reporting it was still scanning files (could see different names pooping up). Decided after 16 hours this probably wasn't working so cancelled.

Reran avg and tds, both report no infections.

So I have a laptop with old drive and am able to attach using an exterla drive enclosure the problem replacement drive   

#23 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,502 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

Hi,

Scanning an external driver for Malware and removing can result on a system that fail to boot because besides removing/cleaning the files sometimes it's also necessary to do corrections on the registry, etc. to revert the changes did by the malware to load the its files.

Can you post the AVG log showing the infections?

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users