Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win asks for repair disks but cannot repair automatically.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 punkieys17

punkieys17

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

My sons dell studio 1555 laptop running win 7 home pro 64 bit will not start. Nothing had been changed recently, no new hardware. It says starting windows and then fails to start, it brings up the screen offering either to go to recovery or to start windows normally if power had been interrupted.

We used the Dell diagnostics which reported no problem with the ram or drive. It asked for system discs. It tried to repair automatically but failed. The error message reported status as 0x0 throughout till at the bottom it reported 0x490.

Went to command prompt and used bootec fixmbr, fixboot, bcd edit.

No operating systems were found so used rebuildbcd which it then found the win 7 on c:

I tried to restart and it says starting windows then momentarily flashes a blue screen abd then goes to the screen saying windows failed to start and either go to recovery or start windows normally.

Any help in which direction to go very welcome.

One thing I did note is the bcd mentioned language as english-us when it should be set to english-uk.

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2017 - 03:07 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Try to boot into Safe Mode; I don't think that it will, but it will take only a few seconds to try. IF you can boot successfully into Safe Mode, perform a system restore from the closest date just before this happened.

Another thing to try, is tap F8 (or possibly F11, it depends on your BIOS) and a listing of boot options will appear. You can also consult your manual that came with the computer. You can try a system restore from there. If not, enter elevated command prompt (if it is offered in the menu) and do a SFC/ [space here]Scannow command from there in an attempt to restore corrupted system files.

If all the above fails, we can start testing components to find the problem. It is very odd that the system would suddenly corrupt; usually this is caused by a driver conflict crash, a sudden power failure and restore (that really does it!), etc.

Edited by ranchhand_, 13 February 2017 - 04:13 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#3 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

Wont start in safe mode.

Only way I can get into command prompt is by using the recovery disc, letting it search for problems and once it fails then going into advanced options and command prompt. Running sfc /Scannow it reports that its beginning system scan, then it says there is a system repair pending so sfc will run after a reboot. It doesnt, I suspect because Im having to start with the recovery disks.

Im trying to avoid using the restore as it feels more like a registry problem and a lot of software had been installed over the past month. The software relates to servicing bmws and was stable and in use for a number of weeks so am pretty sure not relevant to my startup problem.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,231 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

System Restore will not affect your programs installations or data. Possibly you are thinking of a factory restore, which is done from the restore partition on your drive (if you have an OEM system from a commercial computer manufacturer) and will wipe your drive and totally reinstall the operating system, thus you lose everything.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#5 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

Sorry my fault in terminology. The system offers to roll back to the last restore point set. I would prefer to try to repair first before the roll back option. I believe the problem started when it went into hibernate and refused to wake up and so eventually was powered down by pulling the plug/battery.

Edited by punkieys17, 13 February 2017 - 07:22 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,231 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:20 AM

System Restore was engineered for this very purpose, to restore your computer to the last time it booted properly. It is the first thing one should always try before attempting more detailed fixes. Your programs and data are entirely safe. Another alternative is Last Known Good Configuration, but if your computer will not boot you will have to access it from an elevated command prompt. But system restore is your best option at this point.

#7 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

Many thanks. I'm going to open yet another thread as I suspect I have a problem in the bcd. If that fails I'll. Use the restore.

Mod Edit:  Merged topics/posts - Hamluis.

Dell studio 1555 laptop running win 7 home pro 64 bit is refusing to load win. It as running fine but refused to wake from hibernation so power was pulled and then it woukd get to the first screen saying starting windows then momentarily flash a blue screen and then goes to windows didn't open page. All options of opening in safe mode fail.

We used the Dell diagnostics which reported no problem with the ram or drive.

I needed an iso copy of win 7 so downloaded and burnt to dvd via the excellent app linked to from this forum. From the list of various versions I downloaded the sp1, not the oem option. I do have the original smaller hard drive so was able to open it and check it was the correct version, specifically win 7 home premium sp1 64 bit.

Ran autorepair from recovery console but it failed to repair. Going through the various diagnostics etc such as bmr bcdedit it reported it could not find an os despite the recovery console finding win 7 on the drive and trying to repair.

Went to command prompt and used bootec fixmbr, fixboot, bcd edit.

No operating systems were found so used rebuildbcd which it then found the win 7 Os.

I was concerned to see bcdedit report the laguage as en-us so went back to the old drive to compare. I noticed considerable differences between the 2 bcd.

The original bcdedit reports the system just as win 7, the problem drive as win 7 home premium. Could this be an indication I downloaded the wrong win 7 iso files?

The old bcdedit has significantly more lines and extra information. Most notable difference is in Windows Boot Loader where the identifier is different. The older working drive reports the identifier as current while the non working as default.

I have taken two pics of the bcdedit reports but could not work out how to paste from my android phone.

Do I need to download a different version of win7? Dell won't help as it's outside wrrranty.

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Old Fart

• Members
  • 28,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

I suspect that from what you have posted that this problem is not related to the Boot Configuration Data.  If you had received a message stating something to the effect of "Can't find bootdevice" then this would be a possibility.

If you are bound and determined to pursue this use the instructions below to rebuild the BCD.

Open the Command prompt, then copy and past the command below followed by pressing Enter.

bootrec /rebuildbcd

You will see the following message.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

I agree with rachhand_, doing a system restore using a restore point prior to this problem is the quickest and easiest way to try to resolve this.

Edited by dc3, 15 February 2017 - 01:02 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

On April 26, 2017 I had surgery on my right shoulder.  I have been reduced to one finger typing which makes responding to topics an exercise in frustration.  Please understand and have patience.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

Hi,

Can you boot the system from the HDD and press F8 to access the boot menu like this:

windows7_boot_menu.jpg

If you can select first the option Disable automatic restart on system failure then select Safe Mode

Post the last line listed on the screen before the boot process stops or the BSOD code that is generated.

Its not uncommon that a forced power down results also on a BIOS reset that could lead to a failed boot...

Hint: When Windows 7 detects a failed shutdown it shows automatically a different menu, to access the Advanced Boot Options on the image you need to start pressing the F8 key early immediately before Windows starts loading.

Edited by SleepyDude, 15 February 2017 - 01:31 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Old Fart

• Members
  • 28,024 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

@SleepyDude

The op stated in post #3 that they cannot boot into Safe Mode.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

On April 26, 2017 I had surgery on my right shoulder.  I have been reduced to one finger typing which makes responding to topics an exercise in frustration.  Please understand and have patience.

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,452 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

@SleepyDude

The op stated in post #3 that they cannot boot into Safe Mode.

According to post #7 all options fail with a BSOD I need to know the error code presented on the BSOD screen. Because the default option is to Restart in case of failure usually the user doesn't have a chance to see the error code.

Edited by SleepyDude, 15 February 2017 - 02:10 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Old Fart

• Members
  • 28,024 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:34 PM

I understand completely.  Have you considered having the OP run Blue Screen View.

Please download Blue Screen View to your desktop.  You will need to select the version (32-bit or 64-bit) of your Windows to download.  When you click on the version you want it will automatically start the download.

This is a portable application, you will not need to install it.  

Click on the Blue Screen View zip folder on your desktop to open it.  You will see a screen like the one below.

bluescreenview1_zpscocnelp7.png

A new icon will have been created below the icon for the zip file, click on this.

You will see a new image like the one below.

bluescreenview4_zpst4avae38.png

Click on the application outlined in red.

This will produce a list of your blue screens, click on the latest one.  This will open a dump file.  Copy and paste this in your topic.

#13 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

F8 allowed me to stop automatic restarts. Last libe before the bsd was ci.dll. the code on the blue screen is 0x0000007b.

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,452 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

F8 allowed me to stop automatic restarts. Last libe before the bsd was ci.dll. the code on the blue screen is 0x0000007b.

Access the BIOS and look for options related with the Hard Disk controller usually the options are IDE, AHCI change the mode to a different option and try to boot Windows normally instead of the repair option.

Example:

3110007_2.jpg

Edited by SleepyDude, 15 February 2017 - 04:10 PM.

___
Rui

#15 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

Tried rebuilding the bootrec with no avail. Same 0x0000007b message. At least hitting F8 is allowing me to read the bsd messages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users