Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is that 10.5 MB in files on my iCloud account if I haven't uploaded anythin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jahalli

Jahalli

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

Checked my iCloud and Apple account settings and discovered that when I enter iCloud from my Mac, there are no files (and I have not uploaded any either), but when checking iCloud from icloud.com, it says there is 10.5 MB documents. So is this some sort of filler that means nothing? Not like some of my files ended up there somehow?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

Do you use your iCloud account for syncing contacts and calendars and other iCloud features on your iPhone (i.e. Keychain, syncing Safari bookmarks, syncing Reminders & Notes, etc)?  If so, then I believe that is what is taking up that space.  

#3 Jahalli

Jahalli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:31 PM

Do you use your iCloud account for syncing contacts and calendars and other iCloud features on your iPhone (i.e. Keychain, syncing Safari bookmarks, syncing Reminders & Notes, etc)?  If so, then I believe that is what is taking up that space.  

I'm not using it for anything. Maybe at first I had calendar uploaded when I had no idea what iCloud is... could that one time take up this much room? I think I only added on date into calendar to test it (my first Mac).

Right now I have all the boxes in iCloud menu empty/unchecked.

Menu like this, expect they are all empty:

https://support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/Product_Help/en_US/PUBLIC_USERS/133314/S0008_MaciCloudPrefs.png

If all boxes are empty and I have also signed out from iCloud in my Mac, it is disabled, correct?

But what if I log back in to menu in Mac - if boxes are still empty, will iCloud still be disabled or will it automatically start uploading files to web server?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:13 PM

I'm not using it for anything. Maybe at first I had calendar uploaded when I had no idea what iCloud is... could that one time take up this much room? I think I only added on date into calendar to test it (my first Mac).

It will keep what stuff has been synced even if you no longer sync any contacts, calendars, etc. Without know what might have originally been synced, I cannot comment on whether than amount of data makes sense. I doubt it was just one test calendar item...I don't believe that would create 10.5 MB of "documents", but I could be wrong.

You check would be to log into your iCloud account through the iCloud.com webpage and then go to the various modules (i.e. contacts, calendars, notes, reminders, etc) and see if there is any information still there.

https://support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/Product_Help/en_US/PUBLIC_USERS/133314/S0008_MaciCloudPrefs.png

If all boxes are empty and I have also signed out from iCloud in my Mac, it is disabled, correct?

Depends on how you define "disabled". If the check boxes of the iCloud settings in the System Preferences are not checked, then none of those particular features are being used (i.e. no syncing of calendars, contacts, etc between your Mac and the iCloud servers)...but your iCloud account not "disabled" in the traditional sense. The iCloud account would still be active and functioning as a web based account, just not syncing stuff to the Mac. And technically your Mac is still connected to the iCloud account/Apple ID, just not using it for the most part. There might still be some non-centralized stuff that would still sync with iCloud, but I am not aware of anything.

Logging out of your iCloud account altogether will completely disconnect your Mac from the iCloud account side of things. You might then still be using the AppleID side of the iCloud account for other aspects (such as Messages, FaceTime, the App Store, iTunes Store, etc), but you can then check those individually in the individual apps.

But what if I log back in to menu in Mac - if boxes are still empty, will iCloud still be disabled or will it automatically start uploading files to web server?

If the check boxes are unselected, then it should not upload/sync anything related to those check boxes even when logged into the account. As I noted, there might be some decentralized stuff, but I am not aware of any such stuff.

At the end of the day, you don't technically need an iCloud account for a Mac. You generally do need an AppleID. And in today's world, an AppleID is essentially an iCloud account with the iCloud features just not used.

#5 Jahalli

Jahalli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:15 AM

It will keep what stuff has been synced even if you no longer sync any contacts, calendars, etc. Without know what might have originally been synced, I cannot comment on whether than amount of data makes sense. I doubt it was just one test calendar item...I don't believe that would create 10.5 MB of "documents", but I could be wrong.

You check would be to log into your iCloud account through the iCloud.com webpage and then go to the various modules (i.e. contacts, calendars, notes, reminders, etc) and see if there is any information still there.

Depends on how you define "disabled". If the check boxes of the iCloud settings in the System Preferences are not checked, then none of those particular features are being used (i.e. no syncing of calendars, contacts, etc between your Mac and the iCloud servers)...but your iCloud account not "disabled" in the traditional sense. The iCloud account would still be active and functioning as a web based account, just not syncing stuff to the Mac. And technically your Mac is still connected to the iCloud account/Apple ID, just not using it for the most part. There might still be some non-centralized stuff that would still sync with iCloud, but I am not aware of anything.

Logging out of your iCloud account altogether will completely disconnect your Mac from the iCloud account side of things. You might then still be using the AppleID side of the iCloud account for other aspects (such as Messages, FaceTime, the App Store, iTunes Store, etc), but you can then check those individually in the individual apps.

If the check boxes are unselected, then it should not upload/sync anything related to those check boxes even when logged into the account. As I noted, there might be some decentralized stuff, but I am not aware of any such stuff.

At the end of the day, you don't technically need an iCloud account for a Mac. You generally do need an AppleID. And in today's world, an AppleID is essentially an iCloud account with the iCloud features just not used.

Thank you for thorough reply!

I'm having trouble separating quoted portions, so I'll list them as points:

1)

a)When I got to iCloud website, everything seems to be empty. Is there any way to delete what iCloud as stored in there if I can't see what it is?

b)If there is some data up there, it's not really a security risk for me? iCloud itself is quite safe place?

2) Thank you for explaining the signing out.

3) Thank you again. I'd rather shut iCloud account down completely, but that's not really possible, is it?

Edited by Jahalli, 14 February 2017 - 06:15 AM.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

Thank you for thorough reply!

No problem. Always glad to try to help.

I'm having trouble separating quoted portions, so I'll list them as points:

If you are using the RTE editor (aka "WYSIWYG mode" i.e. you see fonts, sizes, bold, colors, etc in real time), then breaking apart a quote is frustrating in my experience. I tend to use the Standard editor (aka "BBCode mode" i.e. you see just plain text with all "enhancements" such as bold, colors, etc as BBCodes). That makes it much easier, but then you need to know some BBCodes.

You toggle between the two modes by clicking the little light switch icon in the upper left corner of the editor.

You can learn more about BBCode, if you want, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

If you want, you can also look at this thread: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/636493/is-it-possoble-to-break-up-a-quote/

1)
a)When I got to iCloud website, everything seems to be empty. Is there any way to delete what iCloud as stored in there if I can't see what it is?

If you don't see anything in the various modules, then there is likely not much, if anything, actually in the account. All the modules that would store stuff under the "documents" section are pretty easy to see with the exception of the calendar module. The calendar module basically forces you to "scroll" back through the calendar to find stuff, while the other modules (i.e. contacts, notes, reminders) will just have a easy to see list.

If you are not seeing anything, then my best guess is that it might be more of a "framework" of the calendar, contacts, etc that is taking up some room, but that "framework" is basically empty. After all, most data in a calendar, contact list, etc is pretty small as it is just small bits of text.

I am not aware of any more general and easier way to nuke that data. My best suggestion if you are really worried is to try contacting Apple support and see what they say.

b)If there is some data up there, it's not really a security risk for me?

That is really hard question to answer with what I know. There are a lot of factors that go into how much anything might be as a security risk. Some of those factors might be known while others might not.

For example, what data is up there? If it is just some test calendar event that is then in a "framework" (where the "framework" takes up most of the space), then who cares if that data is compromised. OTOH, if you have a full calendar with private, sensitive calendar events, then you might care more if that data is compromised.

Another factor would be what kind of password do you use? Do you use two-factor authentication with the iCloud account? If you don't use two-factor and use some simple password that studies have shown some people use (such using "password" for your password...amazingly some people actually do that), then there is a high risk of your iCloud account being compromised. If, OTOH, you use a complex, long password still with out two-factor, then the risk goes down substantially. Then add in two-factor, and your risk should be pretty minimal.

There are then a number of other factors.

iCloud itself is quite safe place?

This is another complex question and tough to answer. I am not some security expert who might be able to give you a more detailed answer. What I can say is that it will just in the same "ballpark" as other online services. Logic would tend to dictate that it is likely that it is more safe than some online service some small company that does not have the resources that Apple has...but then maybe that small company might take security for their online service much more serious that Apple. There are all factors that are tough to gage.

What I can say is focus on the things that you can control. Use long, complex passwords. Use two-factor authentication, if available. Decide what information you want to put on the service. And so on.

To be honest, I would not stress to much over it.

2) Thank you for explaining the signing out.

3) Thank you again. I'd rather shut iCloud account down completely, but that's not really possible, is it?

I will be honest...I don't really know. As I said, technically, when you create an AppleID, you in effect get an iCloud account. And you pretty much need an AppleID to use an Apple device (especially an iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, iPod Touch, etc). Since there are ways to install applications without using the Mac App Store and nothing says you have to use Apple services like Messages or Facetime, it might be possible to use a Mac without an AppleID, but I have never tried.

And I don't even know if it possible to truly delete an AppleID (and thus an iCloud) account. You would have to talk to Apple Support about that. A quick Google search tended to reinforce my understanding that it might not be possible. Best you might be able to do it what you have done...deactivate the various features of iCloud. Besides, if you want to do ANYTHING with Apple, you would still need an AppleID.

#7 Jahalli

Jahalli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

If you want, you can also look at this thread: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/636493/is-it-possoble-to-break-up-a-quote/

Thank you!

If you don't see anything in the various modules, then there is likely not much, if anything, actually in the account. All the modules that would store stuff under the "documents" section are pretty easy to see with the exception of the calendar module. The calendar module basically forces you to "scroll" back through the calendar to find stuff, while the other modules (i.e. contacts, notes, reminders) will just have a easy to see list.

If you are not seeing anything, then my best guess is that it might be more of a "framework" of the calendar, contacts, etc that is taking up some room, but that "framework" is basically empty. After all, most data in a calendar, contact list, etc is pretty small as it is just small bits of text.

I am not aware of any more general and easier way to nuke that data. My best suggestion if you are really worried is to try contacting Apple support and see what they say.

I'll go and scroll calendar and and check iCloud more, if nothing pops up, I'll contact the support - not really too worried, but I'd like to understand things that handle my data.

That is really hard question to answer with what I know. There are a lot of factors that go into how much anything might be as a security risk. Some of those factors might be known while others might not.

For example, what data is up there? If it is just some test calendar event that is then in a "framework" (where the "framework" takes up most of the space), then who cares if that data is compromised. OTOH, if you have a full calendar with private, sensitive calendar events, then you might care more if that data is compromised.

Another factor would be what kind of password do you use? Do you use two-factor authentication with the iCloud account? If you don't use two-factor and use some simple password that studies have shown some people use (such using "password" for your password...amazingly some people actually do that), then there is a high risk of your iCloud account being compromised. If, OTOH, you use a complex, long password still with out two-factor, then the risk goes down substantially. Then add in two-factor, and your risk should be pretty minimal.

There are then a number of other factors.

Well, I was first worried of that data even is there, afraid some of my more sensitive text files might end up there. But if actual documents would be easy to see, then that shouldn't be possible? I scrolled through entire iCloud account from website and saw nothing.

Hm, when I sign in from Mac, it says I have ZERO files. Do I have to be synced, all boxes checked, for it to see files from Mac side? If there are any of course.

Well, if it is calendar stuff alone I'm not too worried. I keep my personal dates in pocket book - kind of old fashioned.

I have very long password and security questions, but no 2 step verification.

I have one final (and likely silly sounding) question. I made clean install recently. When I logged back into App Shop, I used my old password - the same I used for App Shop and iCloud before clean install. Then it means the iCloud account I have now is exactly the same I had before clean install?

Edited by Jahalli, 14 February 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:14 AM

Well, I was first worried of that data even is there, afraid some of my more sensitive text files might end up there. But if actual documents would be easy to see, then that shouldn't be possible? I scrolled through entire iCloud account from website and saw nothing.

Any actual documents (i.e. text documents, Pages files, Numbers files, files synced from the Desktop or Documents folders if using that feature under Sierra, etc) would should show up in the iCloud Drive module on iCloud.com or the iCloud Drive folder under the Finder on the Mac. This also includes any files that some third party app that makes use of iCloud Drive. Beyond that, other content that would count under the "Documents" portion of iCloud storage would be from the modules that I have mentioned before (i.e. Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Reminders, etc).

If you have activated the email account portion of iCloud and are using iCloud for an email account, then any email stored on iCloud will show up as a "Mail" portion of the iCloud storage count. If you never activated the email portion, then you will not see a "Mail" category under the iCloud storage summary, which seems to be the case for you (you only mentioned a "Documents" category).

If you have ever used iCloud to backup an iOS device (i.e. iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch), then there will be a "Backup" category under the storage summary. Again, based upon your previous information, that does not seem to be the case for you.

If you have activated/used the iCloud Photo Library, then you would have a "Photos" category under the iCloud storage summary. Again, that does not seem to be the case for you.

Hm, when I sign in from Mac, it says I have ZERO files. Do I have to be synced, all boxes checked, for it to see files from Mac side? If there are any of course.

Are you talking about the storage summary in the iCloud section of the System Preferences? If so, then I don't know if items need to be checked. I would suspect not, but then I am just not sure.

Well, if it is calendar stuff alone I'm not too worried. I keep my personal dates in pocket book - kind of old fashioned.

I have very long password and security questions, but no 2 step verification.

I have one final (and likely silly sounding) question. I made clean install recently. When I logged back into App Shop, I used my old password - the same I used for App Shop and iCloud before clean install. Then it means the iCloud account I have now is exactly the same I had before clean install?

It means you are using the same AppleID, which also happens to be your iCloud account. Technically, the App Store only makes use of an AppleID. However, since in today's world an AppleID is pretty much an iCloud account, then technically the answer to your question is yes.

The simple way to look at it is the basic "Apple account" is an AppleID. An AppleID can then be used for a number of things...iCloud, iTunes purchases, iOS App Store purchases, Mac App Store purchases, iMessage/Messages, Facetime, Apple web store purchases, and support questions. You can use one AppleID for all these things. Or you can use multiple AppleIDs (I use one AppleID for iCloud and a different one for my purchases). If you never use an AppleID for iCloud, then technically you never really "activated" iCloud for that AppleID...although iCloud is just sitting there in the "background" waiting to be used with that AppleID if you want.

Don't know if any of that helps or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users