Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having to Frequently Reboot to Connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ronusa

ronusa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

Using Windows 10; With a Wifi Router and an ethernet cable that connects to a desktop system.

For the past 2 weeks after the computer has gone to sleep for a period of time; I am having to reboot the computer to connect to the internet. (This has never happened before in the past). When I lose the connection I have tried using the Windows troubleshooter to try and solve this but every time it says it is unable to reset the ethernet network card ip address. I have done the following steps to try and solve this:

1. Replaced and installed a new wifi router since the one that I had was about 8 years old. It has greatly helped the connection speed and wifi range.

2. I have made sure that the ethernet network card has the latest driver software.

3. I have tried to make sure that the network card has power to it when the computer goes to sleep by unchecking the box under the power management settings for the network card.

Also sometimes this same problem may occur to the laptop computer which is connected to the internet by wifi; instead of by ethernet cable. I am trying to mainly solve the problem to the desktop system which is used most often. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

Copy these lines into a text document in Notepad and save with a .bat file extension.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset

When you have the problem double click on the file to run it.

#3 ronusa

ronusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

Copy these lines into a text document in Notepad and save with a .bat file extension.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset

When you have the problem double click on the file to run it.

Thanks for the info! I will sure try and do this the next time that this happens.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

You can also type the commands one at a time into a command prompt window, but the batch file makes things easier.

#5 ronusa

ronusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:55 PM

You can also type the commands one at a time into a command prompt window, but the batch file makes things easier.

Thanks for the info. I just now lost my internet connection and ran the batch file and it solved the problem. Hopefully this will not occur in the future.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:17 PM

Well, even if the internet drops, running the batchfile sure beats restarting!   :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 ronusa

ronusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

Well, even if the internet drops, running the batchfile sure beats restarting!   :)

I will have to say a big AMEN to that statement!

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:38 AM

Glad to hear that it worked for you.  I have this because of an issue that happened in early December 2016 where a lot of Windows 10 machine were having address issues.  Installing KB3206632 was the fix.

#9 ronusa

ronusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:30 PM

Glad to hear that it worked for you.  I have this because of an issue that happened in early December 2016 where a lot of Windows 10 machine were having address issues.  Installing KB3206632 was the fix.

Thanks for the info and hopefully I have this windows update installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users