Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Problem. PC is displaying low res on high res screen and vice versa

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LordDude79

LordDude79

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

Hello Everyone. 

I have run into a strange issue and was hoping someone could help me get to the bottom of it. My screens have got a bit confused. 

I am running windows 10 on a desktop PC with one low resolution monitor and one 1080p TV. for the past couple of days the PC has been identifying the monitor as the TV and vice versa. The result is that the display settings say that the larger screen is the second screen and has a resolution of about 1080p while it actually displays it on the smaller, low resolution, screen. As you may imagine, it also identifies the smaller screen in display settings as screen 1 and lists it with a resolution of 640 x 480, yet it dispays it on the larger hi resolution screen. 

The result is a mess as the big screen only shows about a quarter of that which should be displayed yet the smaller screen is looking fine. 

I have attached a screen shot which should make this a little clearer. 

In short, PC thinks the big screen is the little one and the little one is the big one. 

I have had a lot of trouble since upgrading to windows 10 regarding the graphics card. Issues include, video streaming unable to play after waking but this seemed to have sorted itself out and when switching between different audio outputs it will sometimes switch but outputs no audio. I have no idea if this is connected. 

This current issue seems to be intermittent as occasionally it does display on the correct screen. I have not noticed a pattern in my start up sequence that could explain why it sometimes works. 

I have tried unplugging the screen and it did not seem to help and have turned the pc and the screens off and on more than I like to admit but alas, not luck. 

If yo have any ideas or key terms I could look into i would be very grateful. 

Thanks

Edit: In the screen shot, the little image (display settings) to the right is what is showing on my big tv screen and the big image to the left is what is showing on my little monitor. 

System Info

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-RUFKGB5
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model To be filled by O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor AMD FX™-8320 Eight-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F1, 08/04/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
Username DESKTOP-RUFKGB5/xxxxx
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 12.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.62 GB
Total Virtual Memory 13.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 10.3 GB
Page File Space 1.81 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Attached Files

Edited by LordDude79, 13 February 2017 - 02:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

I'd recommend installing the latest video drivers to start.  

#3 LordDude79

LordDude79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

I'd recommend installing the latest video drivers to start.  

Sorry, I forgot to mention the drivers are reporting as the most up to date. I also tried uninstaling them and updating to no effect. 

Odd problem isn't it?!

Thanks for the suggestion though. 

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

Can you adjust the resolutions to the correct resolution?

#5 LordDude79

LordDude79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:07 PM

Can you adjust the resolutions to the correct resolution?

From memory, the feed that is ment for the smaller screen but is going to the bigger one, is at standard definition and is greyed out.

The feed for the larger screen which is displayed on the smaller one, is set at just below 1080p and has another option of about 720p.

Last night I tried uninstalling the graphics driver and downloaded and installed the official r7 200 driver. It had no effect. Interestingly, even with the driver uninstalled it displayed the same behaviour.

It might also be helpful to know the 1080p tv is connected by HDMI and the old monitor is connected by either dvi or the other serial option (I.e. not hdmi).

Tonight I will try disconnecting the monitor and see what happens. I'll update once I have got home and tried it.

#6 LordDude79

LordDude79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

So, something even stranger happened.... it have somehow fixed itself! 

:bananas:

I am writing this on a fully functioning PC and I have no idea how this has happened. I can only assume it just needed a lot of restarting as that is all i have done since reinstalling the driver. 

Thanks BC Advisor for trying to help.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users