Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gpu Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Polacoo

Polacoo

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

So, i made a post weeks ago about upgrading my pc, and everyone told me to upgrade my gpu for a better gaming experince. So i start doing some research and i found out some gpu that could work,but im not sure about. I have a budget around 250$.

1) GeForce GTX 1060 6GB :  They told is a good option for now but no for future, a bit more expensive. The 3gb one is not worth.

2) Radeon RX 480 4gb :  They told me this will bottleneck my cpu. Also some people advice me to go with the 8gb if i go with this gpu. Also has the crossfire option, in case of upgrading cpu, is really good.

3) Radeon Rx 470 8gb:  A good option, less perfomance, but still not bad. Also has the crossfire option

I had in mind the RX 480 4gb at first, for price/performance, until they told me about that will bottleneck my cpu. I just want to know if thats true, also a lot of people told to go for AMD because of the drivers.

Another thing, what brand is the better option, i saw, for the rx480, the sapphire one already OC, i read that the xfx has incredible performance.

For last, I have like 4 month until i buy it, i know AMD will release a new gpu (VEGA i think its called), so the price could go down.

Here is my actual specs, if u needed

CPU Type: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core
Number of CPUs: 1
Cores per CPU: 4
Hyperthreading: Not capable
Motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD5
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3 SDRAM
Videocard: AMD Radeon HD 7770
Hard Drive: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (1TB)
With Windows 10
650W PSU

Thank you for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:29 PM

The 1060 6GB is about as powerful as an RX 480 so both of them would bottleneck as much as each other. With your CPU, a RX 470 is the better option as it won't be subject to being bottlenecks as much.

Don't bother with the 8GB model as you probably won't need that extra 4GB of VRAM

Edited by Planemaster2, 13 February 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#3 Polacoo

Polacoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:28 PM

Thank you for the advice, i dont know why i have this sense that the 470 is really bad, i know the change is just 10%, but  tell me if im wrong, if i buy the 480 i cant have the 100% usage of the gpu, but it would be better than the 470, apart from that if i want to upgrade my cpu later, it would be better.

And about de VRAM i dont really know how that work but yea i been told that 8 gb is way too much. I just need to read about it, and the difference with the Memory RAM ( SDRAM i think its called, the ones that goes apart)

EDIT: i just read the difference, no that difficult to understand

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2017 - 03:52 PM.

#4 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:48 PM

With an AM3 socket, there's no point in upgrading from that CPU as there isn't a wide range of them that are compatible. I guess if you get a RX 480 and get a PC in the future, you could put the more powerful card in.

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2017 - 03:51 PM.

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:51 AM

Thank you for the advice, i dont know why i have this sense that the 470 is really bad, i know the change is just 10%, but  tell me if im wrong, if i buy the 480 i cant have the 100% usage of the gpu, but it would be better than the 470, apart from that if i want to upgrade my cpu later, it would be better.

And about de VRAM i dont really know how that work but yea i been told that 8 gb is way too much. I just need to read about it, and the difference with the Memory RAM ( SDRAM i think its called, the ones that goes apart)

EDIT: i just read the difference, no that difficult to understand

The RX 470 is a good card as is RX 480 as is GTX 1060 -- and the only real difference between the cards, be it the 4GB/8GB/3GB/6GB is the user expertise in how to set in-game setting and resolutions. If you sit there splitting hairs over that then you are wasting your time. Get a good card from a good manufacturer with a good warranty and enjoy your games :)

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2017 - 03:55 PM.

#6 Polacoo

Polacoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:24 PM

Thank you for the advice, but im not wasting time really, i cant buy it in my country because it cost the triple, also im learning about this topic, a month ago i had no idea what a computer has in it, anyways thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#7 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:10 AM

Thank you for the advice, but im not wasting time really, i cant buy it in my country because it cost the triple, also im learning about this topic, a month ago i had no idea what a computer has in it, anyways thanks.

I get that, but can you tell me where you got this sense that somehow an RX 470 was bad yet only one month ago you didn't know what any computer might have in it?.

#8 Polacoo

Polacoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:51 AM

I get that, but can you tell me where you got this sense that somehow an RX 470 was bad yet only one month ago you didn't know what any computer might have in it?.

Oh, it was just a bad sense of mine since i was really sure to go for the 480 in that time, and now i know all this, i might go for the rx470 4gb, my problem now is that i can buy the sapphire already OC versión or just the comon one. I was thinking for the oc one since its better, but i not sure about that because i could need better cooling or maybe its not really necesary, and im just paying more for almost nothing

Edited by Polacoo, 18 February 2017 - 07:53 AM.

#9 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

Oh, it was just a bad sense of mine since i was really sure to go for the 480 in that time, and now i know all this, i might go for the rx470 4gb, my problem now is that i can buy the sapphire already OC versión or just the comon one. I was thinking for the oc one since its better, but i not sure about that because i could need better cooling or maybe its not really necesary, and im just paying more for almost nothing

Just get a normal one, any person with half a brain can overclock their card themselves. Overclocking doesn't bring a huge performance increase though so you're paying a premium for almost nothing in my opinion. Just make sure you find one with 2 fans as opposed to one. That will be worth the money.

#10 Polacoo

Polacoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

Just get a normal one, any person with half a brain can overclock their card themselves. Overclocking doesn't bring a huge performance increase though so you're paying a premium for almost nothing in my opinion. Just make sure you find one with 2 fans as opposed to one. That will be worth the money.

Thanks, and about the brand its okay the Sapphire or better stay with what i have now (XFX)? or go to another like MSI

#11 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:43 AM

Thanks, and about the brand its okay the Sapphire or better stay with what i have now (XFX)? or go to another like MSI

I don't generally pick out a brand that I stay with for all my parts, I just find the best value that is well reviewed by lots of people (E.g. Amazon reviews). As long as I can strike a balance between the product itself (Try getting a dual fan one), the price of it (Don't pay extra for those "expert" overclocks) and the reviews (I'd rather have a 4 star product reviewed by hundreds than a 5 star one reviewed by 3 people).

#12 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:06 PM

Well said above I totally agree :)

Edited by Zone_86, 18 February 2017 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users