Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lots of windows event viewer errors

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 not4sakn

not4sakn

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:23 AM

Like many others using Windows 10 I too suffered from 100% disk usage. I have tried virtually everything online and did manage to get it down a bit. It seems to still peak a bit with hardly any programs open and if I run AVAST by itself it will rise to 100% not allowing me to do anything else until it's completed. Prior to having these issues I could run my virus scanner in the background and still use my pc and disk usage would still stay fairly low but not now anymore.

When I check my event viewer there are tons of errors and the one that seems to show up the most is Distributedcom 10016 and with Service Control Manager, some kernel erros, and more. 

I've tried running chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f along with sfc /scannow and nothing was reported. Glary Utilities did have an $i30 error on index... but HD Tune found nothing. I tried to upload my event log but not sure how to attach it.

I did mail it into ASUS for a warranty repair and all they did was reload windows and send it back to me. I had done that prior to mailing it in which is very frustrating. Obviously they didn't check it before sending it back otherwise they would see they didn't resolve the issue.

My notebook is a Asus q304ua with the following specs...

• Processor
    Intel® Core™ i5 7200U Processor, 2.3 GHz (3 M Cache, up to 2.8 GHz)
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • Memory
    DDR4 2133 MHz SDRAM, 6 GB, up to 12 GB

• Display
    13.3" 16:9 Full HD (1920x1080)
  • Graphic
    Integrated Intel® HD Graphics
  • Storage
    - 1TB HDD 5400 RPM

Edited by not4sakn, 13 February 2017 - 11:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:50 AM

Hi not4sakn,

Please uninstall all third party antivirus and firewall programs to find out if issue resolves.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 not4sakn

not4sakn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

Are you looking for problems persisting primarily with 100% disk usage or event viewer errors?

From what I've read the distributedcom 10016 is related to upgrading from a previous version of windows. This computer was purchased new with Windows 10 loaded but it doesn't mean it didn't have something previously.

I'm also seeing a kernel processor power event 37 which says it's usually caused by system firmware. 

#4 not4sakn

not4sakn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:49 PM

Alright, I just removed PANDA and Glary Utilities and rebooted my PC. The only thing left at that time was Windows Defender and it actually took longer to boot and stayed at 100% for several minutes before finally decreasing (mid 60s) enough so that I could open a program. Still have the same errors within event viewer as well.

Edited by not4sakn, 13 February 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Do you have fast startup enabled?

The event viewer can be misleading, not every error shown is actually relevant. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 not4sakn

not4sakn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/klRj0fkrJecfUSbZJqUfdb3

Not sure about the psu, sorry

Fast startup is checked but greyed out.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

The  Speccy showed the S.M.A.R.T. Attributes as having 8 reallocated sectors and 166 Reported Uncorrectable Errors, if this is accurate it doesn't bode well for the hdd.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installatioSeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 13 February 2017 - 03:45 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 not4sakn

not4sakn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

Long Generic-Fail

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.4 ---------------
2/13/2017 1:40:51 PM
Model Number: ST1000LM035-1RK172
Serial Number: WCB036NJ
Firmware Revision: SDM1
Long Generic - Started 2/13/2017 1:40:51 PM
Long Generic - FAIL 2/13/2017 2:55:30 PM
SeaTools Test Code: E1D198DE

Is this what you needed?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:34 PM

That's what I was afraid we would see, looks like it's time for a new ssd/hdd.  If you don't have all of your important data backed up to removable media I would suggest doing this immediately.  I would use this computer as little as possible until you get another ssd/hdd.

#10 not4sakn

not4sakn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for all your help!

I actually took it to a local shop and had them scan the HDD and he said the drive was failing. I contacted ASUS because its still under warranty. I told them everything that was going on and my experience with the local shop. After mailing it in and waiting 2 weeks to get it back all those goofs did was reinstall windows and send it back to me. When I took it out of the box it was worse than before. 

What does the information above tell you and how can you tell the drive is bad? I don't doubt you Im just curious about the results.

Edited by not4sakn, 13 February 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

The  Speccy showed the S.M.A.R.T. Attributes as having 8 reallocated sectors and 166 Reported Uncorrectable Errors.  This is indicative of a failing hdd.  The SeaTools for Windows failing was the clincher.  I would suggest calling ASUS and tell them what you have gone through and request that they make this right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users