Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on imaging Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aalbin28

aalbin28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:07 AM

Hello,

I have been given the task up upgrading PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10. So basically since it is a small operation, my boss has been ordering a few laptops from Dell and I install a clean instance of WIndows 10 Pro onto it. The only problem is when I try to put the clean image onto a new laptop that is the same everything, it won't take it. I got it to take the image once, but then it wouldn't let me run sysprep so there was no point.  

I am wondering if anyone else has had a ton of trouble deploying images to laptops from Dell and if there is something I may be doing wrong.

All I do is:

Clean Install Windows 10 Pro

Updates, install, etc.

Image my generic image.

On the new PC I clean install the same Windows 10 Pro

Then I go to put the image on

FAIL

that is basically what happens everytime. Any advice or tricks?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

Some questions for you:

- how did you create the image?

- did you run sysprep (with the shutdown option) on the original machine and then create the image before the 1st boot after sysprep?

- are you installing Windows 10 Pro on the machine where you want to restore the image???

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:30 PM

What program did you use to create the image? When you restore an image with any software I used it's not necessary to first install Windows 10 then restore the image. Restoring the image will automatically recovery the partitions and file system.

For Commercial use Aomei Free is available. V4 was depricated and some features removed including the ability to restore to dissimilar hardware. Download V3.5 here which does have the ability to restore to dissimilar hardware. If all the Dells are identical it Universal Restore should not be required. Create the bootable media the software offers. Boot the disk and create a complete disk image. Boot the disk on the other computer and restore the image.

The paid version of Macrium can be used for commercial use.

Another option is to create an image with clonezilla. 

http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/01_Save_disk_image

http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/02_Restore_disk_image

Edit: For some reason I completely missed SleepyDude's reply. Sorry.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 February 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#4 aalbin28

aalbin28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

Some questions for you:

- how did you create the image?

- did you run sysprep (with the shutdown option) on the original machine and then create the image before the 1st boot after sysprep?

- are you installing Windows 10 Pro on the machine where you want to restore the image???

1) I used the built in "Windows 7" imaging tool that is on Windows 10.

2) I have done it a few times, without first running sysprep on the generic image, and with running, and it didnt change anything.

3) And yes I am initially installing from the same bootbale USB Windows 10 Pro everytime

Edited by aalbin28, 13 February 2017 - 12:36 PM.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

2) I have done it a few times, without first running sysprep on the generic image, and with running, and it didnt change anything.

Its important to "close the image" with sysprep /oobe /shutdown... then create the image. When you restore the image on the machine sysprep will start on first boot.

3) And yes I am initially installing from the same bootbale USB Windows 10 Pro everytime

You don't need to install Windows because you will be restoring the image! to restore use the Windows 10 DVD/USB to boot Windows 10 then select the Repair Option and from there Troubleshoot, Advanced Options and next System Image Recovery

Instead of the Windows 10 DVD/USB a System Repair Disc can be used https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/36083-system-repair-disc-create-windows-10-a.html

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 aalbin28

aalbin28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

Its important to "close the image" with sysprep /oobe /shutdown... then create the image. When you restore the image on the machine sysprep will start on first boot.

You don't need to install Windows because you will be restoring the image! to restore use the Windows 10 DVD/USB to boot Windows 10 then select the Repair Option and from there Troubleshoot, Advanced Options and next System Image Recovery

Instead of the Windows 10 DVD/USB a System Repair Disc can be used https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/36083-system-repair-disc-create-windows-10-a.html

Right, so that's where the problem always seems to lie. When I do the System Image Recovery, it fails. I cant remember the exact message it gives but it happens fairly quickly. But theoretically it should work because its the same hardware, same version of Windows. In the imaging tool it asks if you want OOBE and to generalize and shutdown and I do all that. Still doesn't take the image on the new laptop.  

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

Hopefully this link helps. Have you removed all Windows Modern Apps before doing the image?

http://www.urtech.ca/2015/12/solved-how-to-build-a-windows-10-image-using-sysprep-and-customize-the-default-profile/

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

I'm not familiarized with "the bad things" sysprep does on Windows 10, make sure you create a "clean image backup" before running sysprep because if it fails for some reason then probably the windows installation is gone if this continues to work like it does on Windows 7.

Creating an image and restoring on a exact same machine should work even without running sysprep. The use of sysprep is recommended not mandatory.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users