Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have to use Windows 10? Can I keep Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:45 AM

I'm still on windows 7 and I like it.  I've never had any needs to upgrade to 8 or 10 or whatever.

I don't understand why they keep upgrading software that still works perfectly fine?  What happened exactly

to windows 7 that they needed to keep upgrading?

Is there something I'm missing? Does win 7 have some faulty issues now or loopholes?  I'm looking to get a brand new

computer but everything is now pre-installed with windows 10.

I'm not sure if windows 10 looks just like 7 or if it looks like an android OS.

If windows 10 works pretty much the same way that windows 7 does, then I guess I won't mind upgrading and learning the slight differences.  If it's completely different like working an android OS on a desktop computer, forget that. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:34 AM

The Windows 10 upgrade is no longer free. If you intend to purchase a new computer after 2020 then don't bother upgrading. Also, there is a chance any devices you have such as printers do not have Windows 10 drivers. Personally, I would avoid Windows 10 and stick with 7 if you like it and are not having any problems with it.

Microsoft will continue to support Windows 7 with security updates until Jan 2020.

#3 xtype

xtype

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:07 AM

If you " want " to keep using windows 7 for personal use and you don't depend on W7 Only apps then go with windows 10 as windows 7 is done.....

If you " need " to keep using windows 7 for personal & or business use then you need to employ IT support to look after your windows 7 pc as Microsoft have stopped ALL  support as well as windows update patch management for all versions of windows 7.

Note: Don't let anyone tell you to turn off windows updates and leave them un-managed / updated as no anti-virus software will stop the microsoft back door attacks. Lately a lot of ransom-ware etc. have been targeting W7 machines because of this irresponsible behaviour (turning off updates).

Also downloading W10 from here [ https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 ] as of a few days ago is still free for W10 Home. It uses your existing W7 - 8.1 key etc.

Edited by xtype, 13 February 2017 - 09:11 AM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

If you " need " to keep using windows 7 for personal & or business use then you need to employ IT support to look after your windows 7 pc as Microsoft have stopped ALL  support as well as windows update patch management for all versions of windows 7.

Sorry but this is totally wrong Microsoft continues to release updates for Windows 7 til the end of extended support for this OS that is 2020 like JohnC_21 posted.

This can be easily confirmed for example on this page https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-jan including Windows Vista receives some updates...

Edited by SleepyDude, 13 February 2017 - 09:21 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

If you " need " to keep using windows 7 for personal & or business use then you need to employ IT support to look after your windows 7 pc as Microsoft have stopped ALL  support as well as windows update patch management for all versions of windows 7.

Please clarify this statement. Why does IT need to look after Windows 7. I am still getting monthly updates for Windows 7 and if you think Windows 10 is immune from problems or malware take a look at the the Virus Removal Forum. The OP should not pay for Windows 10 if they plan on purchasing a new OEM computer after 2020.

Microsoft has stopped mainstream support for Windows 7 but extended support with security updates goes to 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

#6 xtype

xtype

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

Sorry but this is totally wrong Microsoft continues to release updates for Windows 7 til the end of life for this OS that is 2020 like JohnC_21 posted.

This can be easily confirmed for example on this page https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-jan including Windows Vista receives some updates...

Hi

You have not read my post correctly. I did not say that microsoft have stopped issuing updates for windows 7. I said "all support" and "patch management". If you download every patch from the microsoft update server then you will get all kinds of crapware like skype bad untested updates even windows 10 etc.

To keep windows 7 systems safe all updates have to be researched and verified before they are installed on a business system.

Edited by xtype, 13 February 2017 - 09:32 AM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

xtype wrote, in part:  "I said "all support" and "patch management"."

Which is still completely incorrect.  People have already pointed you to the Microsoft pages that describe extended support.  Windows 7 is still officially supported and regularly receiving updates.

I really don't know why Microsoft makes much of any distinction between mainstream support and extended support since most users will never know that there's a difference.

Windows 7 remains supported until 2020.

All of the above being said, if you're going to stay with the Windows platform over the long term Windows 10 is the only way to go if you're buying new hardware.  It makes absolutely no sense to install Windows 7 on a machine that now comes with Windows 10.  The writing is clearly on the wall for Windows 7.  That wouldn't make me rush to upgrade old hardware that still has Windows 7 on it that one reasonably expects will be at end of service life by 2020.

Edited by britechguy, 13 February 2017 - 09:38 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 xtype

xtype

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

Ok mix up. Microsoft call it extended support till 2020 all that means is updates till 2020 and they are messing with those as well...... If you call them up with any problems they won't help period.

On this page referenced [ https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet ]

Mainstream Support (Full support) ends January 13, 2015

Extended Support (Updates only) ends January 14, 2020

Yes they still call it Extended "Support" but try calling or emailing them with a problem unless you pay them of coarse.

Edited by xtype, 13 February 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:54 AM

Microsoft said the Windows 10 upgrade was no longer available but according to Zdnet Windows 10 still activates. Interesting. 

http://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Whatever the case, always create a complete disk image to an external drive before doing any OS install or upgrade. I have used Macrium Reflect Free with no issues.

#10 xtype

xtype

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

Microsoft said the Windows 10 upgrade was no longer available but according to Zdnet Windows 10 still activates. Interesting. 

http://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Whatever the case, always create a complete disk image to an external drive before doing any OS install or upgrade. I have used Macrium Reflect Free with no issues.

Yes John just because Microsoft "said" does not mean it to be gospel... I installed a W10 system on Saturday and the key transferred no problem.

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

Moving this topic to Windows 10 Discussion.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

Xtype wrote, with regard to extended support:  "but try calling or emailing them with a problem unless you pay them of course."

1. I have made direct contact with Microsoft for support I believe 2 times since the mid-1980s.  The "unless you pay them" factor comes in during most of the mainstream support period, too.  Thus, I do not turn to Microsoft for technical support.
  2. My concern about the support period is for updates and patches, which I insist that my clients apply via Windows Update.  Too many people foolishly believe that "I know better" than Microsoft about what patches should be applied and when.  Those people form a decent chunk of my "the sky is falling" client base where I have to bring things back from a metaphorical smoldering heap because their systems were attacked by something that was patched a long while ago.  Once this type of support ends your OS, no matter whose OS, becomes security Swiss cheese over time and you're insane to use it if you interact with cyberspace in any significant way and wish to keep data of import on the machine that is doing so. 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#13 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

WOW this turned in to win7 vs winspy10 topic fast, ill say nothing then ;)

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:24 AM

Those who insist on using loaded language like "Winspy 10" and "Microsuck" (another poster, another thread) are not adding anything of value to the conversation about the next generation of Windows.

Nor do they understand what "to spy" actually means.  Data collection is not necessarily equivalent to spying and those who make the spying claims have yet to show:

1. That those using Windows 10 and other products that have data collection as a component are unaware that data collection is a component.  It's been awfully well publicized.
  2. That the data collected is being used for any nefarious purpose or to obtain information that most of use would consider "of a personal nature."

Anyone who has ever believed, for instance, that their web search behaviors on Google or any of the major search engines are "private" has only been deluding themselves and has ignored copious press including direct evidence to the contrary.

It is beyond exhausting to keep having to deal with pure paranoia.

#15 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

Only difference is one comes with a legal agreement and the other dousen't but they both do the same thing.......

Anyways don't want to get sucked in to this topic,every time this topic shows up its flame wars not that i mind but im trying to stay on my best behavior when it comes to this so im out.

In a different forum/time/place id turn in to keyboard warrior mode right about now ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users