Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen with cursor after login to window

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mergho

Mergho

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:16 AM

Hello,
I Have Dell inspiron 15R N5110. Have been seeing a black screen with cursor after login to windows. I rarely see the desktop but after leaving the laptop turned for long time, maybe hours. But when i click on my computer or pressing ctrl + A it takes secs or even mins to respond, and doesn't reapond if i tries to open my computer or anything.
I tried the diagnostics on the startup and found the following results:
Error code 2000-0333
Validation 61893
Msg: video-user provided no input for graphic test

Another msg

Error code 2000-0142
Validation 25486
Msg: Harf drive O-S/N WD-WX41E4131137, self test unsuccessful. Status=7

I dunno what is the problem exactly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:29 AM

Hi,

Error code 2000-0142
Validation 25486

It seems the Hard Disk is damaged! it doesn't pass the test and most likely needs to be replaced.

Edited by SleepyDude, 13 February 2017 - 07:30 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Mergho

Mergho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:41 AM

But can i see my desktop although my hard disk is damaged?

Hi,

Error code 2000-0142
Validation 25486

It seems the Hard Disk is damaged! it doesn't pass the test and most likely needs to be replaced.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:03 AM

The drive isn't dead yet, it have some bad sectors and this affects Windows files resulting on the black screen.

If you can access the Command Prompt or boot in safe mode run this command:

chkdsk /R c:

chkdsk will try to repair the affected files and "move them" to a good location on the HDD, this could eventually fix the back screen problem. When you get normal access to Windows make sure you backup all your data to another place like a flash drive, an external HDD, to some Cloud space, etc.

If the machine is under warranty you need to contact Dell and provide the error code to get the HDD replaced.

A similar case on the dell forum here, check the answer by DELL-Manpreet C a Dell employee.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Mergho

Mergho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

Thank you very much, that solved my issue :)

The drive isn't dead yet, it have some bad sectors and this affects Windows files resulting on the black screen.

chkdsk /R c:
chkdsk will try to repair the affected files and "move them" to a good location on the HDD, this could eventually fix the back screen problem. When you get normal access to Windows make sure you backup all your data to another place like a flash drive, an external HDD, to some Cloud space, etc.

If the machine is under warranty you need to contact Dell and provide the error code to get the HDD replaced.

A similar case on the dell forum here, check the answer by DELL-Manpreet C a Dell employee.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.  But this does not preclude the possibility that there are other problems with the hdd.  I would suggest running a diagnostic scan on the hdd to determine if it is or is not failing.

SeaTools for Windows[/url]

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installatioSeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Mergho

Mergho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:15 AM

After clicking on long generic test by about 5 secs, it failed (Long generic test-failed) or i ran short generic test --> short generic test-passed

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.  But this does not preclude the possibility that there are other problems with the hdd.  I would suggest running a diagnostic scan on the hdd to determine if it is or is not failing.

SeaTools for Windows[/url]

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installatioSeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:43 AM

This is why I asked you to run the long test, it is more comprehensive.  Replace the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 pleomax

pleomax

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:26 PM

Thank you very much, that solved my issue :)

chkdsk /R c:

Unfortunately, Problem occurred again. I tried to press F8 frequently during the start up to enter the safe mode with cmd, but seems that windows ignores my pressings. i made a bootable flash drive and wrote a command to enter the safe mode. but when it enters the windows, i can hear that welcoming tone of the windows, see a black screen with the mouse cursor and the loading circle beneath it. is there any way i can overcome this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users