Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where did these users came from? How should I treat them?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cherm

cherm

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:13 AM

Hi,

I ran a application called "Repair_Windows" and found two unexpected user accounts (See pic), Aktyth and V9UpkZ. These two users aren't available when I check my USERS directory. When I opt to unhide, they show up. All files listed are closed, but I take ownership, they show. In spite of carrying familial extensions (doc, rtf, jpg), MS Word fails to open them.

I tried to delete them, but they showup after reboot. I tried clean reboot, and these users reappear.

Should I try to get rid of them? If yes, how?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:50 AM

Was this Tweaking.com's Windows Repair?

The Aktyth and V9UpkZ are reparse points.  This is a normal function within the operating system.  The following is a direct quote from Microsoft.

A file or directory can contain a reparse point, which is a collection of user-defined data. The format of this data is understood by the application which stores the data, and a file system filter, which you install to interpret the data and process the file. When an application sets a reparse point, it stores this data, plus a reparse tag, which uniquely identifies the data it is storing. When the file system opens a file with a reparse point, it attempts to find the file system filter associated with the data format identified by the reparse tag. If a file system filter is found, the filter processes the file as directed by the reparse data. If a file system filter is not found, the file open operation fails.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cherm

cherm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the information. Good to get a calming tip once in awhile ...

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

You are welcome.

I can make a suggestion which may help you keep your sanity when you run across small unknowns like this... Google it. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cherm

cherm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

Got it!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

I will add this, if you don't get an answer that you understand by Googling it don't hesitate to post a question about it.  This one was pretty straightforward since it was part of the Windows file system.  But sometimes the answer will create more questions than answers if you don't have the experience to understand it.  That's why there are members like myself here to help.

#7 cherm

cherm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

Good to have you, folks. That's what I understand by supporting community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users