Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"The type of the file system is NTFS." - have I lost all my files?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:07 AM

If the data is important you can get a quote for a professional data recovery service. This is expensive and can cost from $800 and up. DriveSavers is one of the better services.

Other options is to try Minitools. It may have a different recovery algorithm that may recover more files. Also you can try PhotoRec. It has an option to recover files by file extension. Only pick one file extension you know on the drive in the File Options of PhotoRec. Do not use Qphotorec as this is not as powerful.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

PhotoRec_src.png

PhotoRec_files.png

The last option I would use if the above two option do not work and a recovery service is out of your budget is chkdsk. It can make recovery of data harder if it fails and that is why I recommend it as a last option.

chkdsk X: /r        Where X is the drive letter of your external drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

WhoDrankTheMilk, did you get your files back?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#18 WhoDrankTheMilk

WhoDrankTheMilk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

WhoDrankTheMilk, did you get your files back?

Unfortunately not, but thank you everyone for your help, especially John!

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users