Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"The type of the file system is NTFS." - have I lost all my files?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WhoDrankTheMilk

WhoDrankTheMilk

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:54 AM

Hello!

So a few days ago my laptop running Windows 7 died on me. I tried using an external hard-drive enclosure to recover my hard-drive files and then connected it to a different PC. After doing this two new drives appeared in My Computer (I partitioned my Laptop hard-drive many years ago to run two operating systems and later reverted back, so I assume one of those drives was probably just the 'residue' of that partition? Or, it might have been when I tried running a diagnostic check on my laptop before swapping the hard-drive into an enclosure? But I have no idea).

When I tried clicking on either of these two new drives I got the same error message for both: "F:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable"

So I searched the internet and running chkdsk seemed like a popular fix. So I did that on both drives and it worked for one. The drive it worked for was only MBs large and appeared to have nothing saved to it. The total size of the laptop hard-drive was 350GB. For the other drive, the one I assume all my files are saved to, the command prompt error read:

"The type of the file system is NTFS. Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK Aborted."

I have searched for a solution but seem to have hit a dead-end or the suggestions are too complicated for me to implement (I am not nearly as computer savvy as 99% of the people on forums like these).

Have I lost all my data, is there any fixes for this?

Thank you for any help!

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2017 - 12:52 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:43 AM

Worth a read:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/483303/unable-to-determine-volume-version-and-state/ .

Do not take any action...above info is provided strictly as information, not recommendation.

I will try to direct someone more knowledgeable than myselft to this topic.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,796 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

Windows 7 normally partitions the disk into two partitions, one being 100MB that holds your BCD store.

Download Testdisk for Windows. Do not download the 64bit version even if your Windows is 64bit. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. 

Doubleclick the testdisk exe file. Per the guide here do a Quick Search. After the Quick Search completes highlight any partitions and press the "P" key. Do you see your files? If no partitions are listed then restart Testdisk and do a Deeper Search. This will take quite awhile to complete.

Note: When selecting a disk do not use the drive letter if offered. Use the disk listed as sdx. For your external it could be sdc.

Edit: Do not write anything using Testdisk. Only post back if you see your files using Quick Search or Deeper Search.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 February 2017 - 12:49 PM.

#4 WhoDrankTheMilk

WhoDrankTheMilk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:53 AM

Hello JohnC_21,

Thank you for the suggestion. I installed Testdisk and did my best to follow the steps exactly. I did feel out my depth to be honest, but gave it my best try. Here is how it went after installing the software:

* I select "Disk/dev/sdb - 320 GB / 298 Gib"
* I select "[Intel]"
* I select "[Analyse]"
* I am presented with the below two lines:

1  * HPFS - NTFS       0   32    33    12    19     204800
   2  P HPFS - NTFS       12  223   20  38912   51  624929792

* I select "[Quick Search]"
* The above two lines turn green

* Selecting the top line, provides me access to the below 7 folders. (I do not recgonise them as being my personal folders and files):

$RECYCLE.BIN
   Boot
   System Volume Information
   found.000
   bootmgr

* I hit "q"

* Selecting the bottom line, provides me with the following message:

"Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged."

Somewhere here I get a little lost, I see an option to perform a "Deeper Search" (I am pretty sure all I did was hit "q" and then had the "Deeper Search" option available when it wasn't before, but I am not confident). so I perform the search. It takes some time.

* I am presented with the below screen after its finished. (keep in mind I am not sure if I selected the Deeper Search option on the correct row or partition etc...)

Disk/dev/sdb - 320 GB / 298 Gib - CHS 38913 255 63

The harddisk (320GB / 298 Gib) seems too small!(<3154GB/2937Gib)     
   Check the harddisk size: HD jumper settings, Bios detection...

The following partition can't be recovered:  
   > Fat16 <32M 180818 148 46   383507   214   55  3256202953

I am hoping I selected the wrong option somewhere during the process, but I am starting to think all my data is lost...

Any ideas?

Thanks all

:)

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2017 - 11:12 AM.

#5 WhoDrankTheMilk

WhoDrankTheMilk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:55 AM

Worth a read:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/483303/unable-to-determine-volume-version-and-state/ .

Do not take any action...above info is provided strictly as information, not recommendation.

I will try to direct someone more knowledgeable than myselft to this topic.

Louis

Hi Hamluis,

I tried reading that thread last night.... I would be lying if I said I understood any of it! Thank you for trying to help though.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,796 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

Run Testdisk again only this time select Advanced from the Menu screen instead of Analyze

Menus.png

At the next screen select Boot, bottom of the screen. Are both boot sectors shown as okay? Please post a screen shot. You can use the snipping tool in Windows 7 then select More Reply Options next to the post button. Save the image as a jpg.

I am not too confident Testdisk will be able to recover the files as the file system is listed as damaged. It may be required that you use a scanning tool like Easeus Data Recovery or Minitools Data Recovery.

#7 WhoDrankTheMilk

WhoDrankTheMilk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:40 AM

I will try this tonight and report back tomorrow morning. If this is unsuccessful though, why would Easeus Data Recovery or Minitools Data Recovery potentially work? I am happy to try these tools after.

Thanks all :)

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,796 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

They work because they scan the entire drive for file signatures. If the file system is corrupted the programs may or may not work. If on the other hand the MFT (Master File Table) is bad then recovery using the programs is possible. They will recover about 1 or 2GB for free but a key needs to be purchased after the limit. There is a free program with Testdisk called PhotoRec that essentially does the same thing but all file recovered have generic names with the correct extension. You would need to rename all the files. Also recovery is done in real time so the recovery drive needs to have more free space than the data being recovered. 

When checking the Advanced Menu selection make sure the boot sectors are okay. If you do not see anything regarding boot sectors then you will need to use any of the above tools. 

If both boot sectors check as okay then select the List option and see if it lists your files. If the main boot sector is bad and the backup is okay then select Backup BS then List.

Edit: Providing a screenshot will help.

Backup_bs.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 February 2017 - 12:09 PM.

#9 WhoDrankTheMilk

WhoDrankTheMilk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:08 AM

Hello,

So I followed your instructions and selected ">[Advanced]". I am then presented with the below two lines:

1  * HPFS - NTFS       0   32    33     12    223 19     204800
    2  P HPFS - NTFS       12  223   20  38912    243 51  624929792

Selecting the top line gives me the below details:

1  * HPFS - NTFS       0   32    33     12    223 19     204800

Boot Sector

Backup boot sector

Sectors are identical.

A valid NTFS Boot sector must be present in order to access any data; even if the partition is not bootable.

[Quit]  [List]  [Rebuild BS]  [Repair MFT]  [Dump]

If I look at the ">[List]" it is the same 7 folders listed in an earlier thread:

$RECYCLE.BIN
    Boot
    System Volume Information
    found.000
    bootmgr

Selecting the bottom line gives me the below details:

Boot Sector

Backup boot sector

Sectors are identical.

A valid NTFS Boot sector must be present in order to access any data; even if the partition is not bootable.

[Quit]  [List]  [Rebuild BS]  [Repair MFT]  [Dump]

If I try selecting ">[List]" this time I get the below error message:

Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged.

Thanks all

PS: Unfortunately, I am unable to provide screenshots as School PCs don't let me upload files and I don't have internet to do it at home. I hope I have provided enough details but can always get more when I am back home.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,796 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:50 AM

Unfortunately Testdisk will not be able to recover the data. Your best chance now is to scan the hard drive with Easeus Data Recovery or Minitools Data Recovery. PhotoRec can also be used if you have enough freespace on the recovery drive. If using PhotoRec the files are recovered to the unzipped folder of Testdisk by default.

#11 WhoDrankTheMilk

WhoDrankTheMilk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

Unfortunately Testdisk will not be able to recover the data. Your best chance now is to scan the hard drive with Easeus Data Recovery or Minitools Data Recovery. PhotoRec can also be used if you have enough freespace on the recovery drive. If using PhotoRec the files are recovered to the unzipped folder of Testdisk by default.

No problem, which of the two software's would be best, Easeus or Minitools?

I don't think my hard drive will have enough free space and don't want to rename everything individually!

Thanks for your help :)

EDIT: Do you think there is still hope? When I saw boot sector and backup boot sector were both "OK" I kind of had a glimmer of hope....

Edited by WhoDrankTheMilk, 15 February 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,796 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

Either will do the job but Easeus will allow 2GB of free recovery so you can determine if any files recovered are corrupted or not. After 2GB you will need to pay for a key. You would still need to have enough space on the recovery drive but you can recover a few files at a time and then transfer them to another drive. 

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

#13 WhoDrankTheMilk

WhoDrankTheMilk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

Either will do the job but Easeus will allow 2GB of free recovery so you can determine if any files recovered are corrupted or not. After 2GB you will need to pay for a key. You would still need to have enough space on the recovery drive but you can recover a few files at a time and then transfer them to another drive. 

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

I will be trying this tonight then!

I have been looking at the screenshots for both applications and both are less intimidating than the MSDOS one we have been using, but even then is there a step-by-step guide I can follow for either application?

I would really benefit from one as I am not even sure if I am trying to recover a "Damaged Partition Recovery" or " Lost Partition recovery" or "Digital Media Recovery" and that was just the first screenshot I looked at for MiniTools.

Thanks all!

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,796 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:50 AM

How to use Easeus

http://www.easeus.com/tutorial/drw-free-user-guide.html

How to use Minitools, You want to use Damaged Partition Recovery.

https://www.powerdatarecovery.com/free-data-recovery-help/how-to-start.html

#15 WhoDrankTheMilk

WhoDrankTheMilk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:21 AM

I read the help files you gave me and installed the software last night. I ran it and it looked great, a lot of folders popped up that I couldn't access before. The software then performed a deep scan but it didn't change much. I saved a .rfs (I think that was the extension) to my desktop not sure what that is for but its there now...

I then looked at my folders more closely and unfortunately most of them were empty. Huge chunks of information weren't even showing.

Edited by WhoDrankTheMilk, 16 February 2017 - 12:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users