Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open any jpeg photos as it spins and stops?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spohnj

spohnj

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:09 AM

My computer has Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601). 2.50 gigahertz AMD A8-3820 APU with Radeon HD Graphics

512 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

It started a couple of weeks ago.  Whenever I double click any jpeg photo it spins for about 3 seconds and stops.  I can't remember doing anything to my computer or adding any programs which would cause this.  I downloaded Irfanview as this is the only way which I can open jpegs at the moment. Right now I just right click and open with Irfanview.Windows Photo Viewer is still my default viewer and would like to fix this. 

What can I do to fix this problem with Windows Photo Viewer?

Thanks,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:42 AM

As well as setting Photo Viewer as default have you also checked that .jpgs are set to be opened by it in default file associations?

(when you do Control Panel, Default programs, look for Associate a file type with a program)

If the jpeg entry is corrupted in the registry it can be restored by downloading it from here (just do the jpeg one)

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

#3 spohnj

spohnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:46 AM

Thanks for your help.  I checked on the associate file type and it was set to Windows Photo Viewer.  I then clicked on the link your provided and downloaded the file, installed and rebooted my computer per the instructions.  I was very hopeful yet it didn't work.  Do you have any other possible fixes?

Thanks,

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users