Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need A Diagnostic (mother Board Dieing?)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rob.

Rob.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

hi guys,

first post here so go easy...

my computer has started playing up and has been getting gradually worse, I think a piece of hardware is malfunctioning but i'm not sure which bit so i'll give you details of the problem and with any luck you guys can point me too what probabily needs replacing.

The first sign of something being wrong was that the signal to the screen would it cut out during, or just after start up (screen would turn to stand by). This happened once every so often but would usually be rectified by another re-boot.
This morning things took a turn for the worse though as not only would screen turn off but the system would lock up during start up and took about 6 re-boots to get it to start up successfully. once its booted up it works fine though.

orginally i thought the graphics card was going due to the screen turning of, but now due to it locking up aswell i think the motherboard may be going out. i don't think there is a software comflict as in my experience this kind of conflict would stop the computer booting up every time, not just 6/7 times.

Thanks for any replies guys. and for the sake of the rules i am running xp with all the service pack updates, i'm not sure what my motherboard is but its a few years old, has a pentium 4 on it, an agp slot, and all the other usual stuff.

Thanks
Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

Software problems can act just like hardware problems - this is because it's the software that causes the hardware to work.

First thing to check would be your Event Viewer to see if there's any errors around the times that this happened. Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rob.

Rob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:17 AM

not a software error as after formating the harddisk all is still broken. now it locks up just after it asks me the startup in safe mode, normal mode etc etc questions.

having swaped bits about with another computer all was working until i swap the hard disks to which nither computer woprk with either hard disk. i'm not sure if its because its the hard disk and the mother board at fault or if its because i shouldn't swap the hard dicks so i'm now a bit confused!

#4 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:56 AM

One of the first things you can do to find if it is hardware or software related is to go to device manager and see if it is showing any conflicts. Try running the trouble shooter of any device you suspect.

As far as the HD swap you can check the bios settings and see if it is detected correctly or is set to auto detect new hardware.

Also you state late in your post that the HD wouldn't work on either device, a pretty good sign the device is not being recognised or is kaput.

#5 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:59 AM

What OS are you useing ?

#6 Rob.

Rob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

i'm running windows xp, and too update:

niether hard disk would allow the dodgy computer to boot up. the possibly dodgy hard disk wouldn't boot up the working computer but it worked when used as a slave. so the hard disk works but won't boot up a computer, and seeing as the defiantely working hard disk won't boot up the dodgy computer that seems to show that teh mother board is broken also!

i'm going to have another fiddle with the master and slave set up on the dodgy mother board.

thanks for the replies, and its defiantely not a software problem as i set the hard disk back to factory defaults so there nothing that isn't cerfited to work properly on there!

#7 Rob.

Rob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:24 PM

Also you state late in your post that the HD wouldn't work on either device, a pretty good sign the device is not being recognised or is kaput.

well it works, just won't boot. and its is recongisned by the autom detect on both of the pc's i put it in.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:24 AM

Sounds like the boot sector on the disk may be hosed. Try running chkdsk /r on it to see if it can find any errors.

Also, from the Recovery Console try fixmbr and fixboot to see if that will repair it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users