Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please State Your OS, and Version

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:23 PM

Many times I have opened a request for help only to see someone saying "I get a BSOD, or my computer won't start, or I can't connect" with no indication of what version of Windows is being used.  

Please let us know.  

If you do not know then press the Windows key, and the R key at the same time, and type winver then click OK.  A window will open, and below the big, bold Windows 10 logo it will say Microsoft Windows Version XXXX (OS Build XXXXX.XXXX.)  Of course the Xs will be numbers.  Please give us at the very minimum what is in the parenthesis.  

It would also help if we knew if it is 64-bit or 32-bit.  You can find this out by pressing the Windows, and the Break (in my case Pause, but it is the key at the far upper right) keys at the same time.  Under System, it will say System type, and tell you whether it is 64 or 32 bit architecture.  

All this is so very helpful.  Thank you in advance.

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:25 AM

....with no indication of what version of Windows is being used....

we usually assume the version by looking at the sub-forum in which the thread is posted in.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

I think dhjohns is referring to the build version of Windows 10. There are a number of different build versions and not all people may have the same version or build. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx

#4 dhjohns

dhjohns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

I think dhjohns is referring to the build version of Windows 10. There are a number of different build versions and not all people may have the same version or build. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx

Exactly some people might still be using 10240, or 1511.  Some are using RS1, and some are in Insider program.  It really does make a huge difference.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,256 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

Regardless of what dhjohns used in the message subject, he's entirely clear about wanting the Windows 10 version number and build number.

Even I think it goes without saying that we all know we're talking about Windows 10 on this forum, but as JohnC_21 notes that still leaves a lot of open territory and the differences are potentially quite significant in many instances. 

Knowing whether 32 or 64-bit and Home, Pro, Education, Enterprise is really important, too.

Edited by britechguy, 13 February 2017 - 02:12 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:12 PM

I think that placing this thread here in this sub-forum is like preaching to the Saints.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

Rocky has the right of it. How often do you see, almost anywhere in BC, "My computer's broke" without any mention of the make, model or OS ? Yes, in the OS sections you can make a reasonable assumption about the OS, but in Internal Hardware or the malware sections ?  I would hate to count the number of times I have asked for this useful information or a Speccy report in my time on BC. One topic I got involved in earlier this year got to #6 before we found out for defiinite that it was a laptop we were dealing with.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

Mm.

It's even worse in the Linux & Unix sub-forum.

Many of you here I recognise as occasional contributors to to L & U. Windows may have several versions of the core OS.....but with our lot it's a case of over 400 'possibles'.....and some folks still seem to think it doesn't matter. Of course it does..! A few basic details go a long way to pointing us in something approximating the right direction.

Of course, although many of you guys I recognise as intelligent, talented individuals, in the main we're dealing with the great 'unwashed'.....who, in so many cases, simply state 'My 'puter's broke....help me.'

????? We're none of us mind-readers.....and I doubt many here are particularly talented when it comes to using a crystal ball, either.  :rolleyes:

In truth, it's not always that bad; with many who choose to use Linux it is a conscious decision to do so.....which implies some degree of thought, and consideration, and deliberation. And that implies a certain degree of intelligence. On the Puppy Linux Forums, where I've been a regular for some years, we perhaps have it worse than many; at the last count, there were over 170 different 'spins' on Puppy alone.....

Doesn't make it easy. And trying to coax information out of some individuals is worse than attempting to extract blood from a stone..!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 11 April 2017 - 05:49 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:57 PM

@Mike #8

Has nobody told you that the information 'computer make, model and OS' is classified top secret, codeword ?  Or at least that is how it appears !

A little while back Quietman - at least I think it was - suggested that Mods and other staff members should make a point of replying at least once to 'Introduction' posts. I have started including the suggestion when I make such replies that in any topic you should include 'Make and model' + 'OS' as basic information. whether it will do any good or not is a different question.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,256 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

Doesn't make it easy. And trying to coax information out of some individuals is worse than attempting to extract blood from a stone..!

The word "coax" is the crux of the problem.  I cannot and will not coax this information out of anyone.  I simply state that it is necessary before any meaningful assistance can be provided (when this is actually the case) and if a given individual won't give it up I refuse to assist.

I give of my time and expertise freely and I don't suffer people who think they should be spoonfed gladly.  I have been called on the carpet a couple of times on BC because of this, but I'm not changing my approach.  What I have changed is even extending an initial hand when it's obvious that it's a "problem child" asking for help or dropping out immediately once "problem child" status is earned.  They're pretty easy to spot in advance, but you always have certain exceptions.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users