Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best windows for dell d820

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DaveJoBot

DaveJoBot

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

well... i have a dell latitude d820 with a intel core 2 duo t7600 2gbs ram, 250gb hdd, and a intel 945gm 256mb graphics card, i was wondering what the best windows operating system is for this laptop...  it being a business laptop

Thanks DaveJoBot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:56 PM

They typically came with XP Home/Pro. You might be able to get away running Windows 7. However, I would check how much memory it can hold. A 4G memory is going to help a lot more in performance. Them Dells Single core or Duo 2-4G memory all run well with any flavor of Linux you desire. You should seriously take that into consideration putting Linux on it. I have a Dell 610 single core 2g memory and it runs Linux quite well. Since you have a 250GB hard drive you could dual boot. Win7 and Linux. I would not use XP in any business or on a business network. There is just to much risks with security. They are a hacker/virus/malware magnet. Simply because the OS is old not patched and numerous readily exploitable issues. WinXP on a network is a hackers dream, as they hack it and use it as a vector to attack the harder Win7 systems, switches, routers etc.

Edited by technonymous, 12 February 2017 - 08:57 PM.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:56 AM

it being a business laptop

I am shooting in the dark here, but I am assuming that you do not work for a major corporation, but have your own business. I that case I would recommend Windows 7 Ultimate (if you can afford it). Definitely purchase the retail CD, that gives you a lot of options for troubleshooting if you have problems with your computer in the future, or want to purchase a new computer and install W7 on it. Personally, I really like XP Pro and still run it occasionally. But for security you really need Windows 7, and then lock that sucker down security-wise. Your laptop may run a bit slower, but if you are only using normal business software it really should be ok. If you are running graphics programs, video editing, sound editing or such your current system will not handle it (I doubt you are, but as I said in the beginning, I am assuming).

Unfortunately, unless you know Linux, running it can lead to headaches if you regularly deal with clients/customers who are running Windows and Windows programs. In business, you don't want to constantly be figuring out how to read a customer's data because Linux doesn't recognize it. And especially the vice-versa...a customer can't open your data you send to him because it was created in Linux. Many Linux products claim to convert to Windows products format, but I use to get clients emailing me that they cannot open blah, blah (because I created it in Open Office).  Been there, done that for 20 years before I retired.

[EDIT afterthought]:  I suggest avoiding Windows 10 like Bubonic plague. Too many problems, total lack of privacy, constant problems with updates causing problems, etc. One man's opinion.

Edited by ranchhand_, 15 February 2017 - 10:02 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:23 AM

Actually...with that system, you should be considering linux as opposed to any MS product, IMO.  Running XP as a business O/S...has a multitude of security concerns, IMO.

Since you provided no info about what is entailed in this business...I would suggest a more current system and Windows version than you currently have, if you must run Windows.  There are a ton of refurbished systems that would provide more security with a more current version of Windows...at what I consider minimal cost.  At the least, I suggest procuring a refurb system as a backup (if not replacement) within a business environment.  The inconvenience felt by users like me when a PC goes down...iis nothing compared to the angst likely to be felt by a business that relies on a single computer.

An 11-year-old laptop used in a business environment...that's what I would call a gamble I personally would never advise or undertake.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

I'm a little surprised that no one has suggested running the Windows 7 Update Advisor.  This will let you know if the components in this computer are going to be compatible with Windows 7.  Do this and post the results in your topic.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

The reason (I, for one) do not use advisor in most circumstances is that I have experienced that it is not dependable for an accurate analysis. I have run it on older XP machines for upgrade to W7 and got a negative result. I upgraded anyway (with upgraded drivers) and the unit ran fine, albeit a bit slow, but still stable. For an occasional Windows98 machine I would be a lot more leery, of course. One man's opinion.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

The reason (I, for one) do not use advisor in most circumstances is that I have experienced that it is not dependable for an accurate analysis. I have run it on older XP machines for upgrade to W7 and got a negative result. I upgraded anyway (with upgraded drivers) and the unit ran fine, albeit a bit slow, but still stable. For an occasional Windows98 machine I would be a lot more leery, of course. One man's opinion.

I've never had any problems with any of the upgrade advisors.  This is the first time I've even heard of a problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

According to Dell the latest OS supported is Vista.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/SupportedOS/latitude-d820

This page may help if you decide to install Windows 7 on the D820. 

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/driver-sets/latitude-d-series-laptops/latitude-d820-windows-7-32-bit/

Dell Specs

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/latit/en/spec_latit_d820_en.pdf

You mentioned business laptop. If this is for business yet you will only be using the computer for basic browsing and email then save your money and put linux on it. If you plan on networking it and using it in your business for more than basic browsing and email then go with Windows. 

This computer came out in 2007 or 2008 per your CPU. For the cost of the Windows 7 OS and it being no longer supported in 3 years then I would seriously consider purchasing a new computer if you are using it for your business.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 February 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:21 AM

Since I have a Dell Latitude D820 on Windows 7 32/64 Bit with a Crucial M500 SSD and 4 GB of RAM (3.24 GB usable), I can say for sure it definitely works. I have been testing it with Dell Backup and Recovery see here:
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery/

As I said in my post #4, and the reason that I do not totally trust M/Soft's upgrade advisor.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:51 PM

I agree with John in getting a new one, with 500 dollars you can walk into Walmart get a Dell, Acer, HP i5-i7, 8G's memory and 256gb SSD. That's a hell of a deal.

Edited by technonymous, 18 February 2017 - 08:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users