Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need exact version for win repair?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 punkieys17

punkieys17

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:46 PM

My son's dell has developed a problem and is asking for a windows disk to repair.....of course dell didn't supply a full copy of 64 bit win7 home premium on a disk...We do have various other copies of 64bit win 7 around the house but not a home premium. Does it have to be exact same version to be used.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

Specifically...what model Dell system is this?

Dell (and other OEMs) idea of a "repair" is a restore-to-factory-defaults, if this is a Dell error message.  Please post the exact wording of the referenced message.

Louis

#3 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

It's a studio 1555. The exact message starts windows error message. It says windows failed to start etc. It asks for a windows installation disk, select language and then to click repair your computer. The status is 0xc000000e. Info The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

Yes you need the exact version. You can download one using the tool from here, and then create a disk with it... or a USB installer using Rufus.

#5 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:26 AM

Many thanks for the link. I went to the site but hit a problem. You say I do need the exact version but all I know is that it was a 64bit home premium and it had all available updates applied. The download site gives a wide range of downloads - even for home premium. Could you explain how I can find the right one please

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

FWIW:  That error message could be an indication of a hard drive problem.  Rather than try a repair...I would first check the functional status of the hard drive...at the minimum ensuring that the drive is reflected in the BIOS as the first boot device.

Louis

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

Many thanks for the link. I went to the site but hit a problem. You say I do need the exact version but all I know is that it was a 64bit home premium and it had all available updates applied. The download site gives a wide range of downloads - even for home premium. Could you explain how I can find the right one please

If you are in Europe you are probably using the N version, otherwise just go for the version without any suffix.

FWIW:  That error message could be an indication of a hard drive problem.  Rather than try a repair...I would first check the functional status of the hard drive...at the minimum ensuring that the drive is reflected in the BIOS as the first boot device.

Louis

Solid advice. Trying to repair a drive that is damaged could eliminate any chance of recovering any data.

You may choose to create a boot disk with Seatools for DOS and test your HDD with it, also.

#8 punkieys17

punkieys17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

Ok. Firstly many thanks for the link to the iso file downloader. All downloaded. As I now need to ask the forum for help relating to startup issue I ask this thread to be closed

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:19 PM

We don't typically close topics unless they are dupes, spam, violate forum rules, etc.

Just go ahead and create your new topic, delineating details of your system issues.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users