Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Vista to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

I know I have asked this before, but before I was looking to upgrade for free. I would really like to upgrade to W7 and I was wondering where would be the best place to get Version Home Premium? I would like to spend under $100. Also I'm thinking of backing up this Vista set of files (all) on a 4GB Flash Drive, does this sound like enough space?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:20 PM

Microsoft answers your question: 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_install/upgrade-windows-vista-to-windows-7-is-free/2f3c5b92-d61f-43b1-a62d-a9caa28438ba

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:04 AM

Right now the desk top I am using says Vista 64 Bit OS. I just purchased this (see link below) 32 Bit Windows 7 OS, will this be okay to install into this desktop for the upgrade? Thank you!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/windows-7-professional-with-service-pack-1-32-bit-license-and-media-1-pc-windows/5130368.p?id=1219111157817&skuId=5130368&cmp=RMX

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:22 AM

FWIW:  The linked XP is 32-bit, which is limited to recognition of 4GB of RAM.  IMO, it would be smarter to buy the 64-bit version of Win 7.

Best Buy is a legitimate vendor, yes...any version of Windows purchased at Best Buy should be able to be installed, as long as system meets the minimum requirements set by MS.  Install will be an upgrade, but a clean install...you will lose any data from the previous O/S or version of Windows on said system.

Louis

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

+1....yes, if possible exchange for the 64 bit version of W7. I a few years 32 bit operating systems will be gone. If you can afford it, a retail OS disk is the best thing over an OEM upgrade. In addition, if you ever decide to get a new computer (possibly build one yourself) you have the freedom to install Windows 7 on the new computer from your disc legally and M/Soft will recognize it. You cannot do that with an OEM  "bought from the store" OS already installed by the manufacturer.

The thing to make sure of first, however, is have all the drivers for your motherboard, chipset drivers, sound, video and all others, because you will have to install them or some of your components may not work otherwise. Before you do a clean install or upgrade of W7, go to the computer manufacturer's website and hopefully they have posted the drivers for Windows 7 for your machine. Sometimes you get lucky and the drivers for Vista will also work on W7, but best to play it safe.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

That was the only copy Best Buy had. We plan on getting another computer in about 8 months. 

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:17 AM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17005&type=page

Louis

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

We plan on getting another computer in about 8 months

Not what you asked, but you might consider building your own; instead of handing money over to BB for doubtful quality and then spend hours deleting all the garbage-ware and trial ware on your hard drive, put the money into quality parts and use your own independent disk of W7. Then when you have problems you can take care of them yourself because you know what and where located everything is in your computer.

#9 Bulletz4Breakfast

Bulletz4Breakfast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:13 PM

Win 7 is cheap seen it go for like $20

#10 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:18 AM

Wow! I wish I had known. Just received my copy in the mail...$139.00. I don't even know why I purchased this being 32 Bit. More wasted money.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:36 AM

Members Please note.

Buying Windows any version from Ebay or Amazon can be risky, The activation key may be stolen or is OEM.

My recommendation is that you only buy keys from Microsoft.

Nick.

#12 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:41 AM

I purchased this from Best Buy. The funny thing is I saw nothing that said Key Number.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:57 AM

My bad its called the product key

Find your Windows product key

A product key is a 25-character code used to activate Windows. It looks like this:

PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

The location of your product key depends on how you got your copy of Windows:
From an authorized retailer. The product key should be on a label or card inside the box that Windows came in.
A new PC running Windows. The product key will be preinstalled on your PC, included with the packaging the PC came in, or included on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) attached to the PC.
A digital copy from a Microsoft website. The product key will be in the confirmation email you received after buying it. Or it may be distributed as a digital license if you bought Windows 10, in which case you won't receive a product key

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/10749/windows-product-key

#14 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:40 AM

I was expecting this to come in a box also, but it did not.This copy came in a Blue cardboard envelope which says Microsoft Windows. There is a paper inside the package it came in, also the blue envelope came inside a white envelop with some bar codes. One bar code says COA bar code, but I think that is for shipping purposes. I guess I will see what happens when I try and install it. Thank you for all your help.  

#15 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:54 AM

Well, I tried to install W7 with the Installation disk and it did not work. Got the following results. Tried going on-line and still nothing.

You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users