Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivers for my graphics card.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Exoclap

Exoclap

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

I have Asus gtx 970 strix oc 4gb edition and I'm wondering do I need to download the drivers from Asus website or should I just download and install drivers right from Nvidia official website.

I'm asking such a stupid question because every game that I boot up I experience stuttering/choppiness. Yesterday I played Bioshock Infinite and Dark Souls 3 and I expected the gameplay to be butter smooth instead it is really choppy. I even get this kinds of issues in older games like Call of Duty 2 or Runescape which is really weird.

So I really wan't to make sure how and from where I install my drivers so everything will work properly.

Thank you so much for all your help !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:28 PM

Generally I would recommend downloading them from ASUS' website as the driver versions are "manufacturer-approved". However, since you are having problems I suggest you use version 368.69, as it seems to be pretty stable. Please perform a Custom Installation. You should only install the Graphics Drivers and PhysX software. :exclame: DO NOT INSTALL ANY 3D DRIVERS!!!

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/104726/en-us

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Exoclap

Exoclap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:34 PM

Generally I would recommend downloading them from ASUS' website as the driver versions are "manufacturer-approved". However, since you are having problems I suggest you use version 368.69, as it seems to be pretty stable. Please perform a Custom Installation. You should only install the Graphics Drivers and PhysX software. :exclame: DO NOT INSTALL ANY 3D DRIVERS!!!

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/104726/en-us

I always installed 3D drivers as well. Could that be the cause of my problem ? Since I uninstalled my previous drivers I will try the ones you linked me and hope for the best.

#4 Exoclap

Exoclap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/104726/en-usI

I'm on Windows 7 will this version of the driver still be the best ?

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/104722/en-us

Edited by Exoclap, 12 February 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:56 PM

Yes, sorry for giving you the wrong link. The one you gave is correct! Don't forget to do a custom installation... :)

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:09 PM

Actally since we don't know the card model ... sometimes a legacy card like GTX 560ti, GTX 460, 9800GT, work better with older drivers, or 3-4 versions of older drivers. NV does not have a history of supporting older cards for optimal new-game optimization through drivers like AMD does. It would help to know your model (old or new) nd yes if it's GTX 6-7-10** series the newest drivers should be fine. Good advice about leaving off 3D.

#7 Exoclap

Exoclap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

Actally since we don't know the card model ... sometimes a legacy card like GTX 560ti, GTX 460, 9800GT, work better with older drivers, or 3-4 versions of older drivers. NV does not have a history of supporting older cards for optimal new-game optimization through drivers like AMD does. It would help to know your model (old or new) nd yes if it's GTX 6-7-10** series the newest drivers should be fine. Good advice about leaving off 3D.

Thank you so much for the help ! One mpre thing though. I have Z97 gaming 5 motherboard and I'm really confused on which driver should I install for my mobo
There are many drivers like VGA, BIOS, chipset etc... which one should i install ?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios

Edited by Exoclap, 12 February 2017 - 06:14 PM.

#8 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

Pretty much all of them, however when i built with that board previously (I did 4 I think and one gaming 7 which is nearly the same) I used the Killer NIC without the software -- just bare driver. Also you don't need the Intel Rapid Storage driver unless you will be setting up RAID situations, especially with SSD's. SO basically install everything on that list other than Rapid Storage, and Killer NIC with software (use the option without).

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

Whatever you do... please DO NOT install MSI Afterburner as it is known to caused BSODs. BTW, do you still experience hangs with the 368.69 version of your graphics drivers?

#10 Exoclap

Exoclap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

Whatever you do... please DO NOT install MSI Afterburner as it is known to caused BSODs. BTW, do you still experience hangs with the 368.69 version of your graphics drivers?

I did install the driver for gtx 970 that you've provided me with. I've also installed the following drivers for my motheboard:

- Intel Management Engine Driver+Microsoft hotfix

- Intel Smart Connect Technology Driver

- Intel Rapid Start Technology Driver

- Intel Chipset Driver

- Realtek High defenition audio driver

- Intel VGA driver 

- Intel USB 3.0 driver

- Intel Management Engine Driver+Microsoft hotfix

After installing one of the last 5 drivers my computer started making coil whine beeping sound. After I logged in a window opened for re-installation/installation of realtek audio driver even though I installed it before I rebooted my PC.

In regards to stuttery/jumpy gameplay it is still there and I think it is a little bit more noticeable. The FPS is solid and is capped at 59-60 fps or 150+ if i have v-sync disabled. But even though I have high fps I see jumpiness in bioshock infinite and all other games.

Edited by Exoclap, 12 February 2017 - 08:04 PM.

#11 Exoclap

Exoclap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:30 PM

Also when I set V-Sync off the graphics card starts making this weird beeping noise which could be coil whine, the stuttering/choppiness/jumpiness increases and flickering white lines appear on the monitor. If the V-Sync is set to on and if I go to my desktop while the game is running the graphics card produces the same kind of sound as I mentioned before and flashy white lines also appear on the monitor. With V-Sync off I find the game totally unplayable.

Edited by Exoclap, 13 February 2017 - 03:13 AM.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

Sorry to hear that. Download your drivers directly from ASUS. They say that version 359.06 and 353.62 are the compatible drivers for your model. Again, perform a custom installation.

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/STRIXGTX970DC2OC4GD5/HelpDesk_Download/

Edited by bwv848, 12 February 2017 - 08:42 PM.

#13 Exoclap

Exoclap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:05 PM

Sorry to hear that. Download your drivers directly from ASUS. They say that version 359.06 and 353.62 are the compatible drivers for your model. Again, perform a custom installation.

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/STRIXGTX970DC2OC4GD5/HelpDesk_Download/

Installed the 359.06 version from the link you've sent me and it s still the same :(

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:57 PM

And the 353.62 version?

#15 Exoclap

Exoclap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

And the 353.62 version?

Yep I tried that as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users