Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen, PC Freezes, then PC unfreezes

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

Do you have any file dump files in %WinDir%\LiveKernelReports? If so zip them up (please use .ZIP!!!) and upload the zip archive to a trustworthy file-sharing service.

Thank you.

Edited by bwv848, 21 February 2017 - 01:20 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:24 PM

I am so sorry. I don't know how to get to %WinDir%. I tried search and cmd as admin and still no luck.

I also have never used a file-sharing service. I have something on the PC regarding "ONE DRIVE". I will see if it is a file sharing service.

#33 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

%WinDir% is an environment variable for C:\Windows, a directory located on your hard disk. Do you have a Google account (like for Gmail)? Then you can use Google Drive. :thumbup2:

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#34 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

I figured out how to use one drive. Also got the Live Kernel Reports.

Link is below. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqECYDLJVxtjk1vL-t_WnlOD5eIu

While in Windows Directory I noticed a Minidump folder dated 12/26/2016, I uploaded it also, I wasn't sure if it could be of any help.

Link is below.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqECYDLJVxtjk2CXw9qpwi5qmYAL

In Windows Directory there is also a Memory.DMP file also dated 12/26/2016, it's size is 595,299 KB. I did not upload it.

Edited by cheez, 21 February 2017 - 06:20 PM.

#35 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

The reports are rather old, but they do point to your NVIDIA drivers. Please try stress-testing your video card:

FurMark Display Card Stress Test

#36 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

Thank you again for your help.
I have always had a problem understanding instructions. It takes me a while to re-read several times before I understand. So I do appreciate your patience.

I ran the stress test, it lasted 3minutes and the computer froze.  I ran it again and it lasted 4 minutes before freezing.
I wasn't sure what information you wanted, so I wrote down everything I seen.

First Test
GPU1 temp: 73 degrees C    Usage: 98%
Frames: 22231,     Time: 03:07,     FPS: 118 (min: 107, max: 121, avg: 118)
Open GL renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCie/SSE2
GPU1 (nvidia GeForce GTX 970)
Core: 1202MHz/73 C/98%,        mem: 3505MHz/6%,         GPU power: 97.7% TDP
Fan: 65%,    limits: [power:1       temp: 0  volt: 0  ov: 0]      GPU1: max 73 C   min: 44 C

Second Test
GPU1 temp: 76 degrees C      Usage: 98%
Frames: 29065,      Time: 04:06,      FPS: 118 (min:90, max:122, avg: 118)
Open GL renderer is the same
GPU1 is the same
Core: 1202MHz/76 C/98%,        mem: 3505MHz/5%,          GPU power: 98.6% TDP
Fan: 69%,   limits: [power:1,       temp: 0   volt: 0   ov: 0]        GPU1: max 76 C    min:39 C 

I didn't give it much thought at the time when I seen the date of those dump files. I think I read some where when a BSOD accures, right after a start up the dump files are written. If this is correct, why don't I have more current files since I have had several BSOD's since December of last year?    I think it would be helpful to know why in case I have another BSOD.  What do you Think?

Edited by cheez, 22 February 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#37 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

Let's try rolling back graphics drivers again. Use Version 355.98.

As for why dump files aren't being produced, I suggest you read this guide.

Edited by bwv848, 22 February 2017 - 11:53 PM.

#38 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:33 PM

Thank you. Sorry I took so long to reply but I had a few appointments today that I couldn't miss.

I installed the 355.98 driver. I assumed you wanted me to stress test it. It lasted nearly 3 minutes then froze.

GPU1 temp: 73 C      usage: 98%
Frames: 21248      Time: 02:59     FPS: 118  (min:90,  max:121,  avg: 118)
Core: 1215 MHz/73 C/98%
mem: 3505 MHz/4%      GPU power:  99.1%  TDP
Fan: 64%
Limits: [power:1    temp: 0    volt: 0    ov: 0
GPU1: max: 73 C    min: 39 C

Since we have tried the 368.69, 362.00 and the 355.98 drivers, in my infinite wisdom I decided to try a newer driver. I installed the version 372.90. I then gave it a stress test which lasted just over 2 minutes and I got a BSOD.

This is the first BSOD that reached 100% collecting data and actually gave a reason for failure.

Stop Code:  System_Service_Exception
What Failed:  win32kfull.sys

I checked windows directory and there was a minidump file. It is on OneDrive.

I uninstalled the 372.90 driver and reinstalled the 362.00 driver.   I gave it another stress test and it lasted over 3 minutes
and the PC shut down with a black screen.  I was unable to get any information for you.  I checked and there were no dump files.

I don't know if the SysnativeCollectionApp will be of any help, since I stupidly forgot to run it right after the BSOD.

Attached Files

Edited by cheez, 23 February 2017 - 08:17 PM.

#39 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:32 PM

I'm beginning to wonder whether if your graphics card is faulty. Do you know anything about swapping it? How old is it?

Thanks.

#40 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

nickos,

thank you for your post. Unfortunately I am a novice and would be very uncomfortable attempting what you suggest unless it is absolutely necessary I try.  I assume PSU means power supply. If so I have a 700 watt power supply.

bwv848, thank  you.

I am not sure what you mean by swapping it, unless you mean purchase another card and replace this one.
The present card is less than a year old.  It was installed sometime during the summer of 2016 by a local computer place which of coarse is no longer in business.  I had a GeForce GTX 470 that went bad after 6 years.

I wish I could remember exactly when I began  having problems, I think it was some time in October after my free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7. I hope it's not the OS, I really like OS 10 but I would purchase a new one if necessary.

If you think I should replace my graphics card, is there a link to some where that could walk me thru it.  I assume it's not a difficult task, but any help would be appreciated.  Also, would I have to replace the same card or could I downgrade a little? 

There is something else I would like to mention, that has me baffled.   Before the last BSOD, to go to "OneDrive" I would right click on  it, on the menu was "View on Line".  Since the BSOD in place of view on line it now has "CRC SHA". When I place the mouse on it the menu expands showing,
CRC - 32
CRC - 64
SHA - 1
SHA - 256

Should I click on them to find out what they are? 

Edited by cheez, 25 February 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#41 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:21 PM

If you just changed your graphics card, there's a really small chance that it's faulty. Let's try version 355.82. Don't stress test it for now.Please perform a Custom Installation and ensure the Clean Install box is checked. You should only install the Graphics Drivers and PhysX software. :exclame: DO NOT INSTALL ANY 3D DRIVERS!!!

#42 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:20 AM

Thank you bwv848.

I have uninstalled and installed several drivers lately and there is something very strange that I just remembered.
As I mentioned I reinstalled the 362.00 driver.  After downloading the 355.82 driver, I  went to uninstall the 362.00 and it was not listed, only the PhysX System Software. I then remembered this had happened before with 1 or 2 of the other drivers.  When both were listed  I would uninstall the driver, then I had, to restart  the computer before I could uninstall the PhysX program.  After installing this 355.82 I checked and their both listed.

Also, I was hoping you had an answer for this strange happening that I mentioned in my last post regarding OneDrive and the "view on line" disappearing and being replaced with " CRC SHA" and if I should click on them to see what they are.

The above post was at 8:20 AM

This edit is 3:19 PM

I have been using the PC most of the day to see if any thing would happen, so far all is ok.  I have restarted  it several times on purpose. The last time after restart I checked the uninstall programs in the control panel, and the driver is gone. The only thing listed there is Nvidia PhysX Software.

Edited by cheez, 26 February 2017 - 03:26 PM.

#43 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:32 PM

These NVIDIA drivers are extremely weird, I'm not sure myself why they're not appearing in the Control Panel. Please ignore the OneDrive thing. They're just giving you the option to get the cryptographic hash of your files.

#44 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:25 AM

Thank you

It is indeed weird that some drivers disappear and some do not.

But that is not the only weird thing with this computer.

On this PC the F12 key is boot up options. But I have no safe mode.  I learned with a command prompt and system configuration I was able to create a boot options window at start up for normal, safe mode and safe mode with command prompt.  However this only appears when it feels like it.  I could start or restart this PC 10 times and the boot options window might appear 3 0r 4 times. The rest of the time I just get the normal start up to the sign in screen. 

I don't know if "WINDOWS ERROR REPORTING" is of any significance, but yesterday, in just one day I had 25 Errors and 101 Warnings. 

I attached it below in case you wanted to see it.

Attached Files

Edited by cheez, 27 February 2017 - 07:47 AM.

#45 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

Thank you for the update. The easiest way to access Safe Mode on Windows 10 is to restart your PC, and at the sign-in screen, select PowerRestart while holding the Shift key down at the same time. Your PC will restart to the Choose an option screen. Select TroubleshootAdvanced options Startup SettingsRestart. After the PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode, or 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.  

I don't think there's anything of great significance in the Windows Error Reporting Event Log, though I haven't had a chance to look at it in detail yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users