Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

superduper bootable bu on rugged LaCie - where are the files?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

macbook pro 10.6.8 [2010]

superduper 2.6.4

I don't know if this is a software, hardware, malware or some mac permissions problem.

I have a LaCie rugged extHD that I used to use for regular bu's. I used the option to make it bootable. I don't remember exactly how I configured the bu thru SD because at some point I got sick[er] and pretty much stopped using my computer. My modem broke, and altho I ordered another, it took me two years to set it up. For a long time I just read old fanfic and played freecell on my mac

Then I had to start writing important letters again and updating my spreadsheet files. So now I need to do regular bu's again. I've been backing up to DVDs while I tried to remember what program I used for the LaCie. No automatic bu window opened when I connected the LaCie like I expected

I tried making silverkeeper work, but all its options were greyed out. At one point I made a new folder on the LaCie and dragged my priority folders into it. But later when I checked the LaCie they weren't there.

I finally found superduper in the apps folder and tried it. First I checked if the LaCie was bootable by holding down the option key. It was. I could open Word, connect to the internet and open my VM [virtualbox]. So I tried updating the BU. There was a named file/program option to run - really only one choice - and it gave me a window that checked off things it did, gave me a count of files checked and files changed that would be copied, the counter as it "copied" the files and the post bu checklist which included making the bu bootable. It took 47 minutes to do the complete bu but when I checked there were no new files on the LaCie in my personal folders. The LaCie is still bootable. For a heart stopping moment I was afraid it copied the wrong way, but my recent personal files are still on the internal HD.

So where did the files go? I thought the ones I just tried to drag and drop might not have been allowed if SD initialized or something the entire drive, tho I didn't understand why it pretended to make the folder and copy files over. What did SD really do for 47 minutes in the attempted bu while it thought it was copying files and checking things?

Is there malware that takes your bu program and hijacks it and sends your bu somewhere? I know nothing about malware, trojans etc these days but that seems unlikely based on the time for the whole bu to run since my computer connects to the router via wireless. I don't think the connection is that fast for all the files supposedly copied.

Could there be some kind of permissions problem? One of the things SD does first is check permissions. I run the BU in an adm account. Has the LaCie suddenly become read only? Wouldn't it say so if I tried to write? I forgot to check the LaCie using disk utility. Anything else I should check for?

Addendum

I checked the Lacie w/ disk utility. It says its Read/Write. Verify/Repair Permissions is greyed out for the entire HD as well as the two BU volumes.

I thought I was connected via USB, but disk utility says it's a firewire connection. When I got out my mag glass and flashlight the cable does say 1394b. I didn't remember that firewire could power a drive. I thought only USB could.

There is also a DVDRW disc listed in the disk utility window, but there is no DVD in the drive and there's none on the desktop or listed in Finder under mackbook. My mac seems to be not seeing folders/files that should be there and see DVD discs that aren't.

Edited by MaryBet82, 12 February 2017 - 01:22 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

Try updating to the latest version that works with Snow Leopard (aka 10.6).  That is version 2.7.1.  You can find it here:

download v2.7.1

If you click the "Options..." button in SuperDuper!, what options are selected under the "General" tab? Please keep in mind that I am currently using a newer version of SuperDuper! as that older version will not run on the version of the Mac OS I am running, so things might be a little different.

I thought I was connected via USB, but disk utility says it's a firewire connection. When I got out my mag glass and flashlight the cable does say 1394b. I didn't remember that firewire could power a drive. I thought only USB could.

Firewire is bus powered (i.e. can supply power to the drive). And it has traditionally been much better at it than USB as some USB ports on older computers don't supply enough power to power an external USB drive, so you would either need to make use of a second USB port (with either a second cable or a "Y" USB cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB2HABMY3-Cable-External-Drive/dp/B003HHK576) or use an external power adapter. This was never a problem with Firewire, which was why I always used Firewire drives with my Mac rather than USB 2.0 drives.

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

Besides "Options" what have you chosen in the "using" drop down menu? The SU developer is very good at answering questions whether they're just questions on how to use SU or with any problems that arise during use of SU. SU has their own forum that you could ask questions or you could send them an email with your questions. Look in the Help menu for the support links.

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

Thanks Buddyme2 and smax102

Under General Tab

Repair permissions before copy

During Copy

Smart update files MyInitialsFile from Mac HD. [It says Smart Update will mimic erase and copy but do it faster].

On completion: Do Nothing

The top of the window says copy From mac hd to MyInitalfile [in drop down boxes w/ other choices I’ve never used] using BUMyInitalsFiles under custom scripts in its drop down box. I remember I followed the directions to write a custom script rather than one of the standard script files. I just don’t remember what or why.

I found the discussion group for SuperDuper at Shirt Pocket. The posts I found were all old, but I did see an update notice from 2016 and the support link produces an email address. So I’ll ask there. It was just so weird to see the program w/ the counter “copying” files and going down the checklist and then not being able to find the files on the LaCie.

I’ll take at look at updating SuperDuper.

I always liked Firewire – back from when I did the reading and had Compuzone build me a desktop w/ an AMD processor w/ Win2k - and all my ext drives have 1394 ports. I’ve always had to order online because Staples and Office Depot didn’t carry them. For awhile I was afraid it would be phased out, but that didn’t happen, thankfully

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:51 PM

Thanks Buddyme2 and smax102

Under General Tab
Repair permissions before copy

During Copy
Smart update files MyInitialsFile from Mac HD. [It says Smart Update will mimic erase and copy but do it faster].

On completion: Do Nothing

The top of the window says copy From mac hd to MyInitalfile [in drop down boxes w/ other choices I’ve never used] using BUMyInitalsFiles under custom scripts in its drop down box. I remember I followed the directions to write a custom script rather than one of the standard script files. I just don’t remember what or why.

What is the name of your external drive when it mounts on the Desktop? Is it "MyInitalFile"?

I am asking because it seems like maybe the backup script you created was to create an image file on the external drive, not to clone the entire internal drive to the external drive natively. If so, then you likely will find a file named "MyInitial File" on the external drive somewhere. And it is likely you then set the backup to potentially just backup your user files (i.e. the custom script). SuperDuper! can do more than just clone a drive.

If my guess is correct, then that backup just updated that one "backup" image file on the external drive and the rest of the bootable stuff on the drive was created by other means (i.e. potentially using SilverKeeper in the past).

And if that is the case, then you have to decide if you want to stick with that system or switch to a new system that clones the entire drive...or even do both (this would require getting a new external drive to use for the clone).

I found the discussion group for SuperDuper at Shirt Pocket. The posts I found were all old, but I did see an update notice from 2016 and the support link produces an email address. So I’ll ask there. It was just so weird to see the program w/ the counter “copying” files and going down the checklist and then not being able to find the files on the LaCie.

I’ll take at look at updating SuperDuper.

I always liked Firewire – back from when I did the reading and had Compuzone build me a desktop w/ an AMD processor w/ Win2k - and all my ext drives have 1394 ports. I’ve always had to order online because Staples and Office Depot didn’t carry them. For awhile I was afraid it would be phased out, but that didn’t happen, thankfully

I always liked Firewire way more than USB 2.0. In addition to not having the potential for a USB port that was under powered and thus requiring the use of two USB port, Firewire (both Firewire 400 and 800) were faster than USB 2.0. Like you, my Windows computer (self-built) had a Firewire port that I used until I "upgrade" to eSATA for use with my Windows computers. And like you, I had to find my external hard drives online as local stores would only have USB 2.0 drives.

In today's world, I have moved past Firewire to either USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, or eSATA...depends on the computer and the situation. I do, however, still have a bunch of old Firewire drives.

#6 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

mac 10.6.8 [still]

superduper 2.6.4

Help.

I tried another backup to my LaCie today using superduper, first booting w/ the shift key. This time I noticed that under the Copy To I had 3 choices : MIfiles, MacBU1 and MacBU2. I also found a MIFiles_sparse bundle file in MacBU2 w/ the date of my last attempted BU. So I thought choosing MIFiles, whatever that was, was my mistake last time. This time I chose MacBU1 as my Copy To and the Using: BUMIFiles. It is the only choice under custom scripts and I remember I set up a custom script using Smart Update, selecting certain folders and making the volume bootable. When the script ran, however, this time it didn't have the Make Bootable listed under the window that tells you what it is going to do and checks it off as it does it - unfortunately I didn't notice until it was too late to stop the backup. This time it did copy over my new personal files, but it did not make the LaCie bootable.

I do not understand where the BUMIFiles option in the Copy To came from, how it made a sparse file using my custom script and why it chose to place the file in MacBU2. I'm assuming since MacBU1 was bootable, it couldn't copy it there. The MIFiles option is no longer available in the To option list. I don't know why my script didn't make the LaCie bootable this time when I chose MacBU1. I am pretty sure that I originally partitioned the Lacie into 2 partitions - MacBU1 [300GB] and MacBU2 [200GB] and ran the custom script To MacBUI1 several times w/out problem. I used MacBU2 to simply drag over anything I wanted to back up w/out running the whole backup program - like periodic BU's of my firefox bookmarks, my VM machine, Word normal.dot.

I have been trying to read the SuperDuper usual manual for 2 weeks but I can't retain anything I read. I decided not to try upgrading superduper since the current version worked w/ the current configuration of the mac.

What I want to do at this time is to start over and do the simplest BU on the LaCie using Smart Update and making the LaCie bootable. Before I was trying to save space by excluding empty folders and such, but the LaCie appears I have plenty of room for whatever is on the internal HD. The last time I was able to boot into the LaCie it contained my VM w/ WinXP. I need the VM so that I can run PaperPort to access important legal files. I've converted most of the files to pdf or jpg, but there are still some in max format that I need to be able to read & convert. However I did the original BU, once I booted into MacBU1, Word and the VM and and my internet connection were all present. I want to do that again.

My internal HD is 500 GB [499.76GM] and my LaCie is 500 GB. According to Disk Manager I have 330 GB available on the internal HD. I can't tell from the partition tab in Disk Manager that MacBU1 and MacBU2 are partitions and not just folders. It says they are "Volume"s. I don't think folders are "Volumes" I don't think I could make a bootable BU to a folder and up until today's BU the LaCie was beautifully bootable. So I think I partitioned the LaCie altho I don't remember doing so.

Because of my current stressed-out, exhausted mental condition I would appreciate some help in setting up the Lacie. I was thinking of still partitioning it into 2 "Volumes"- one 400GB and 1 100GB to retain the drag and drop BU capability in the 2nd volume. But I think it would be better to get a USB stick for that and make the LaCie 1 500 volume. Altho I haven't found USB sticks very reliable.

Should I first erase the LaCie using Disk Management erase tab or will partitioning it do that? I know to choose the "extended journal" option. I remember having to choose cluster[?] size when partitioning Windows, based on disk size, but I don't see that option currently on the Partition tab. With Windows I seem to remember the bootable partition had to be on the 1st partition of a drive. Is there anything I do during Partitioning to mark a volume bootable?

Then I could use some step by step how to to use SuperDuper to make a bootable backup that I can work from if my Mac won't boot someday. I could upgrade to a superduper still compatible w/ 10.6.8 before doing the new backup, but I'd rather use the older version that worked first and upgrade if it doesn't when I do the new bu.

My head is  still foggy currently. I'm going to give reading the superduper manual a try later and making a list of how to's. If someone has any ideas on what went wrong and how I could make my LaCie bootable again w/out having to redo everything I'd appreciate it. I'd like to try that first.

Edited by MaryBet82, 17 March 2017 - 01:09 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

Should I first erase the LaCie using Disk Management erase tab or will partitioning it do that? I know to choose the "extended journal" option. I remember having to choose cluster[?] size when partitioning Windows, based on disk size, but I don't see that option currently on the Partition tab. With Windows I seem to remember the bootable partition had to be on the 1st partition of a drive. Is there anything I do during Partitioning to mark a volume bootable?

If you do want to start again, then I would Erase the drive first using the Erase tab. Then you can use the partition tab to setup the partitions you want. Having said that, if memory serves, if you just adjust the partitions without using the Erase first, I believe it will still nuke all the data on the partitions anyway (i.e. effectively erasing them anyway).

And yes, you will want to use "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format. And there is nothing you need to do with Disk Utility to make the partitions bootable. Technically any Mac OS partition (in "Mac world" terminology, a partition is typically referred to as a "volume", but more on that below) is capable of being bootable. To make a Mac volume bootable, it effectively just needs to have all the needed Mac OS system files on it to make it bootable (obviously a little different if you are talking about a Windows volume that is bootable using Bootcamp on an Intel Mac). And Disk Utility does not really do anything related to Mac OS system files. About the only thing in Disk Utility that you need to do to make sure the volume is bootable is to make sure it is using "GUID Partition Table" under the Partition Map Scheme in the information for the drive, but this should automatically be done when you format a drive/create partitions in Disk Utility on an Intel based Mac without you needing to do anything. And you don't need to worry about picking cluster size...that is done automatically for you.

If you don't want to start completely from scratch and keep the partitions you currently have, you should be able to do so as long as the amount of data that is on your computer that you want to backup/clone does not exceed the size of the volume/partition you want to clone/backup to. In this case, you said you have 300 GB and 200 GB partitions/volumes. If the amount of data you have on the Mac's internal hard drive is less than the 300 GB partition size, then you can just keep the partition sizes you have now. Of course, if you ever reach the point where your data reaches the point that it is more than 300 GB, then you would have to either get a new drive or adjust the sizes of the partitions at that point.

Just a quick note on drives/volumes/partitions on the Mac OS as it is a little different than for Windows. Generally the easiest way to think of it is the following: a drive is the physical device you put in the computer or attach externally to the computer; a partition is a sub-division of that physical device into smart "virtual" parts; and a volume is what the Mac OS calls a drive or partition within the OS. In terms of the last part, you can think of there being two "types" of volume...drives and partitions on a drive. In terms of the Mac OS, they behave and are essentially treated the same. When referring to a volume that is a "drive", it is essentially a "physical" drive that only has one partition...so the drive, partition, and volume are all the same thing. When referring to a volume that is a "partition", then that volume is a single partition that is one of more than one partitions on the physical drive...so a volume and partition are the same thing, but NOT the same as a drive (the only way you will "see" the drive when it has multiple partitions is when you open up Disk Utility...in the Finder and other aspects of the MacOS, you will only see the "partition" volumes, not the entire "drive"). Hope that makes sense.

Either way, once you have the drive setup how you want it, the SuperDuper! process should be rather straight forward. It should be something like this:

1) Select the drive you want to backup from the left pull down menu. If you have just the default naming that the Mac OS uses when being installed, then the internal drive is likely named "Macintosh HD". If you are using a different name for the internal drive/volume, then make sure you select whatever the name of that you used for the internal drive.

2) Select the drive/volume/partition you want to backup to from the right pull down menu. Do not select "Disk Image...". If it is a drive/volume/partition, it should have a drive capacity (in GB) next to the drive name. If you partition the external drive into multiple partitions (whether you keep what you have or do something new), then pick the partition name for the partition you want to clone/backup to. If you only have one partition for the external drive, then select the name for that single partition and it should have a capacity listed next to it close to about 500 GB (since it is a 500 GB drive).

3) For the third pull down menu below the first two pull down menus, select "Backup - all files". It should be the first item on the list.

4) Click the "Options..." button at the bottom of the SuperDuper! window. Click the box next to the "Repair permissions on <drive name>". Next, under the "During copy" pull down menu, select the "Erase <external drive/partition name>, then copy files from <internal drive name>" (where the parts in the <> brackets will be the actual name for the drives/partitions for your particular drives/partitions)...this should be the first option on the list. Next, under the "On successful completion" pull down menu, select "Do nothing" (should be first item on the list and likely already selected) unless you want to choose one of the other options (quit SuperDuper!, Shutdown computer, etc). You should not need to do anything on the "Advanced" tab. Then click the OK button.

5) If you have everything set correctly, then you can now click the "Copy Now" button. This will start the clone/backup process. It should ask you for your admin password and then confirm that you want to proceed. After you enter the password and confirm you want to proceed, the actual backup should start. You should get a window that lists various steps that will turn green when properly completed. It will take a while when you clone for the first time. One of those steps will be "Make bootable"...in other words, it should just be automatically done if you are copying all files including the Mac OS system files.

6) Assuming every thing runs fine, all the steps should turn green and say it is done. When that happens, you can quit SuperDuper!.

7) Try rebooting and booting to the external drive/partition that you backed up to.

For future backups/updates, you will use all the same settings (it should default to those setting when you have that external drive attached and you start up SuperDuper!...unless you setup and do a different backup setup using SuperDuper! after doing this backup...it always remembers the last backup settings you used) except for one. You will want to check the "During copy" setting after clicking the "Options..." button. For any updates, you will want that setting set to "Smart Update...". This will update (add new files, remove old files, etc) the backup rather than do it again from scratch each time (i.e. LOT faster than the first backup unless you add a TON of new files).

Is that clear enough? If not, let me know.

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Yes, I think I got most of it despite the fog in my head. My mac HD, according to Disk Management only has 170 GB total used, so the 300 GB partition should be enough. If I had the energy I think I would repartition to 400/100, but in my current state I should probably keep it as simple as possible. I'm deleting that sparse bundle from the MacBU2 volume before I redo MacBU1 w/ superduper. I don't see how it could interfere w/ the MacBU1 being made bootable since one can't boot from a sparse bundle file in a folder, but there's a lot I don't know about clones and disk images, etc.

I'm going to try and use terminal to delete the sparse bundle file in MacBU2  I've used it before to delete files, but I don't find Terminal as easy to use as Command Prompt was. I think the help notes are in programmers language, not English. I'm using my Mac OS X Support Essentials book to try and navigate to the volume and use the rm command. I don't want to put it in Trash, because I never empty trash. You can't delete single files in Trash and there are file in there I don't remember and want to research before I delete them. Someday.

Thanks for reading my long explanation and responding w/ such a detailed answer.

Addendum:

I contacted ShirtPocket [SuperDuper] and Dave had me send him the log from the last BU - after telling me where to find it. It appears that somehow my custom script got altered so that it excluded the system files. I'm guessing [ as I often do] that happened when I directed the BU to the non-bootable volume. After I ran the bad BU, the drive was still bootable. But when I ran it again directed to the bootable partition it made it non-bootable.

So I erased both partitions [altho SuperDuper would have erased the bootable partition as part of it's Erase, then copy standard script] using the Erase Tab in Disk Utility. This left both volumes still with their original names and extended journal format and it did it very quickly. Then I ran SuperDuper Erase then copy directed to the correct partition and I have a bootable volume on the LaCie again that is set up just like my mac. The next time I run SuperDuper I will change from Erase then copy to Smart Update - it does a quicker BU while making it bootable again. I have plenty of room on the volume so I'm not going to try and exclude any folders.

I'm going to have to pay closer attention to what's in those little boxes despite the fog in my head. It doesn't help that all the dialog boxes have such small print. I haven't found a screen resolution that doesn't make everything else too big when the dialog boxes are readable. With the insert symbol dialog box in Word for Mac I need a magnifying glass to find the symbol I want.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get out of this mess

Edited by MaryBet82, 18 March 2017 - 08:38 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

It you follow the instructions that I gave, the sparse bundle should not interfere with the anything.

If you still want to delete that sparse file first, I have two options:

1) Use the rm command as you suggested. I will post in your other thread how to specifically do it assuming someone has not already done it.

2) Temporarily move all the files currently in the Trash out of the Trash and into a temporary folder (you can make one on the Desktop for example - call it say "Hold" or "Purgatory"). Then trash the sparse file and empty the trash. Then if you want, you can move all the other files back into the Trash folder if you want. I will note that some people strongly recommend keeping stuff in the trash, but rather create some sort of "holding purgatory" folder for such files...but then I am more like you...I tend to hold stuff in the Trash until I feel like emptying the Trash.

#10 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

I contacted ShirtPocket [SuperDuper] and Dave had me send him the log from the last BU - after telling me where to find it. It appears that somehow my custom script got altered so that it excluded the system files. I'm guessing [ as I often do] that happened when I directed the BU to the non-bootable volume. After I ran the bad BU, the drive was still bootable. But when I ran it again directed to the bootable partition it made it non-bootable.

So I erased both partitions [altho SuperDuper would have erased the bootable partition as part of it's Erase, then copy standard script] using the Erase Tab in Disk Utility. This left both volumes still with their original names and extended journal format and it did it very quickly. Then I ran SuperDuper Erase then copy directed to the correct partition and I have a bootable volume on the LaCie again that is set up just like my mac. The next time I run SuperDuper I will change from Erase then copy to Smart Update - it does a quicker BU while making it bootable again. I have plenty of room on the volume so I'm not going to try and exclude any folders.

I'm going to have to pay closer attention to what's in those little boxes despite the fog in my head. It doesn't help that all the dialog boxes have such small print. I haven't found a screen resolution that doesn't make everything else too big when the dialog boxes are readable. With the insert symbol dialog box in Word for Mac I need a magnifying glass to find the symbol I want.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#11 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

Since I ended up erasing both partitions using Disk Utility I did not need to use Terminal or the Trash trick to get rid of that sparse file. I copied my BU2 folders to the mac drive, erased the volume and copied back the folders to the BU2 volume.

I may use the trash trick to get rid of some of the junk in Trash. In Windows I could delete single files in whatever they call Trash [Recycle Bin?]. Periodically, I would go in and erase all the files I remembered deleting on purpose. Sometimes I would find an unintentionally deleted file - one of which I was very thankful I found - and restore it. I left files I wasn't certain of - mostly forever. Once I backed Trash up to a DVD and emptied Trash. Once. I also liked to use the shift+delete that bypassed the Trash when I was sure and not in foggy brain mode. I also kept a file retrieval program for when I made a mistake I instantly recognized.

I was confused during most of this latest troubleshooting adventure. I think I created the option of BUMIFiles in the Copy To box in SuperDuper when I ran the BU script to the MIBU2 volume. Before that there were probably only BU1 and BU2 as options. I think when I pointed my bootable BU all files [except a few personal folder excluded] script to BU2, which had folders and the wrong folders in it, the script had to improvise and it came up w/ a sparse file and put an empty folder named BU2 in BU1. Why it then took all the system files out of the script but left my personal folders I don't know. I am not a programmer, altho I always hoped to learn some programming.

Anyway, once I stopped panicking and read over the info provided and just did the [should have been to me] obvious actions of simply deleting the partitions and using the Back Up All Files option in SuperDuper to do a new backup, everything went quickly and worked. SuperDuper is easy to use and worked reliably until I pointed my script at the wrong volume. I avoided using Disk Utility and erasing volumes from my Windows paranoia. Nothing Windows did worked, and when you had to troubleshoot you just kept getting thrown into a deeper and deeper hole. But Disk Utility just did what it said it would and did it quickly.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

In Windows I could delete single files in whatever they call Trash [Recycle Bin?].

As I believe I noted, when you upgrade to El Capitan (which you plan to do at some point if memory serves), you should have this ability on the Mac as well. Apple finally added this ability after years of people asking for it.

#13 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

Yes, I remembered smax013. I'm looking forward to it. I just have a lot of work to get there and [windows paranoia again] I kinda expect my mac to quit working when I attempt the upgrade. Even tho the mac has worked beautifully since 2010. The one time it wouldn't boot into the OS I followed the emergency instructions in my mac book and it fixed itself right away. From panic to working in 15 minutes. Once when it wouldn't take my PW I booted holding the shift key down and voila - fixed itself. I could write a book about my Windows experience - it would be a tragedy - as could many others. They need a therapy program for traumatized previous windows victims.

I think you could tell w/ this post my brain isn't up to speed at the moment and I hesitate to undertake the upgrade until I feel less like I'm going to do many Stupid things. In case I have trouble w/ the upgrade, we want to get my sisters HP 8.1 laptop working. That's the lot of work I need to get done first.

If macs weren't so expensive, we'd get her a mac - but then we'd also probably have to get her a new printer and scanner and she couldn't use PaperPort, etc. We need PaperPort until we get out of Legal Hockeysticks. I run it on my VM - we want to be sure she can run it on her laptop before I upgrade. Most of our scanned documentation is converted to pdfs or jpgs, but we still find the occasional max file that needs conversion when we are looking for some documentation to send to our lawyers. I never found a program that worked as well as PaperPort for straightening, cleaning up, and stacking scanned pages into docs you could convert to pdfs. By now the programs that come w/ scanners may do all that. Or not.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

Yes, I remembered smax013. I'm looking forward to it. I just have a lot of work to get there and [windows paranoia again] I kinda expect my mac to quit working when I attempt the upgrade. Even tho the mac has worked beautifully since 2010. The one time it wouldn't boot into the OS I followed the emergency instructions in my mac book and it fixed itself right away. From panic to working in 15 minutes. Once when it wouldn't take my PW I booted holding the shift key down and voila - fixed itself. I could write a book about my Windows experience - it would be a tragedy - as could many others. They need a therapy program for traumatized previous windows victims.

Mac OS upgrades are pretty straight forward, so odds are you likely would not screw anything up. Plus, that is what the clone drive is for. If the upgrade is messed up, you can boot you Mac just like it was before with the clone drive...and then if you want, clone "back" from the clone drive to the Mac to have it setup EXACTLY as it was at the time of the last time you updated the clone. And you can test the clone drive right now by booting to it to make sure it does work. And if you are really paranoid, you can get a second drive and make a second clone of the Mac as it is right (i.e. "two is better than one").

I think you could tell w/ this post my brain isn't up to speed at the moment and I hesitate to undertake the upgrade until I feel less like I'm going to do many Stupid things. In case I have trouble w/ the upgrade, we want to get my sisters HP 8.1 laptop working. That's the lot of work I need to get done first.

This is certainly fine, but as I noted above, you likely will find that you will not have problems. If you do want to get the Windows 8.1 laptop working first and need help, then feel free to post to the Windows 8 forum (if you have not done so already).

If macs weren't so expensive, we'd get her a mac - but then we'd also probably have to get her a new printer and scanner and she couldn't use PaperPort, etc. We need PaperPort until we get out of Legal Hockeysticks. I run it on my VM - we want to be sure she can run it on her laptop before I upgrade. Most of our scanned documentation is converted to pdfs or jpgs, but we still find the occasional max file that needs conversion when we are looking for some documentation to send to our lawyers. I never found a program that worked as well as PaperPort for straightening, cleaning up, and stacking scanned pages into docs you could convert to pdfs. By now the programs that come w/ scanners may do all that. Or not.

FWIW, in my experience, current/modern scanners in all-in-one printers typically can scan directly to a PDF file. That is certainly the case with both of my all-in-one printers with built-in scanners. When I scan anything with either of them, I scan directly to a PDF file. Both of my printers are at least several years old and both HPs, but I would assume that it would be similar for other brands. I will note that I am scanning using a Mac, but again I would assume the Windows software would be able to scan to PDFs as well.

And I would assume that a current stand alone scanner would offer similar ability to scan directly to PDF files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users