Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly my Samsung NP530 will not boot - bios freeze

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 samsung_NP

samsung_NP

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:55 AM

My laptop is a Samsung NP530 U3B  from 2012 . I replaced the hard drive in 2015 and everything has been running smooth until today. I did not turn it off for a few days,  but last night I did .  When I try to boot it the next morning , all I see is the Samsung logo in the BIOS, I try to press F2 for setup but its not possible , its a complete freeze.

I can turn it off and on , so the power button is the only thing that works . I can hear the same noise as always from the small fan. 

So where should I start ?   I will remove the HD and make a copy of files if I can not boot but hopefully there is a solution . Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:56 PM

> Try to boot into Safe Mode; if you can successfully  do that, you have a system or driver conflict preventing boot.

>Try to boot into the BIOS screen; if you cannot, your motherboard may have failed.

> If the above two do not work, run a test on your memory. This will tell us 2 things if successful: First, your memory is or is not the cause. Second, if the utility will run, we may have a chance at recovery.

I suggest using Memtest 86+ as follows:

>  Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD.

>  Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device.
>
  If you have multiple sticks, test only one (1) stick at a time

Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

If Memtest will not run or you get error messages, let me know.

There is no need to run the test multiple times on the same stick, one complete pass is sufficient.

If you have any questions on how to do the above, post back.

Please post back with the results.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users