Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in infinite black screen with spinning dots, Rx 480 GPU the cause?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tjphillips

tjphillips

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:59 AM

Hey all! All I can say is I've never had so much trouble in my life, absolute nightmare!

Specs: AMD Fx8320
. 16gb Kingston HyperX
. Samsung 250gb 850 Evo SSD
. XFX RX 480 GPU (new)
. Antec TruePower New 550w PSU

Recently my GPU died so I ran my ssd in my laptop until I got the new GPU (an xfx rx 480). Since putting the SSD back in my desktop with the new graphics card boot has been painfully slow, previously took about 30 seconds now takes about 5 minutes even in safe mode.

I've tried all the fixes I can find to no avail (bootrec etc) and I just recently tried a system restore which failed but when I rebooted it loaded?! Seem to back into Windows now since the restore which was the one before the amd stuff was

Could the GPU be causing all this trouble? Too much power? I tried installing my old GPU and performance was the same so doesn't seem to be related but I had issues installing the amd radeon-rx drivers which is known of so I tried installing the driver manually following a YouTube tutorial which worked but something is causing severe system instability.

I've also been getting random reboots under load and overall the system is performing like crap so just wanted to get some help in this to determine what the root cause is, power draw from the graphics card or whatever. Obviously if it is there's no point me reinstalling windows!

OK that about covers it. Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tjphillips

tjphillips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:57 AM

Ok ended up in a reboot loop, windows load for about 30 seconds then black screen, reboot. Thing is the reboot loop was occuring after i removed all traces of the AMD installer! 

I eventually took the SSD out and put in my laptop and it's fine so it' not that, my next step was to repair windows or reinstall.

I've looked in event viewer and can't identify any issues or i'm not looking at the right stuff so can anyone tell me what to look for and what i can upload to help identify the causes?

I think it's either the PSU or GPU and short of ordering a PSU or RMAing the card not sure what to do so want to try and identify the cause. I've disconnected everything else to eliminate other potential causes, don't have another system to test the card in but lots of people online have very similar issues with amd cards. 

Any help is really appreciated!

#3 tjphillips

tjphillips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:38 AM

Nevermind, called Ballicom and it's being returned for a refund.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users