Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes while gaming

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mbatman

mbatman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

Hey I've been struggling with this issue for the past week and a bit and am resolute in finding the source of the crashes.

My computer seems to be crashing whenever I'm playing more graphically intensive games such as BF1 or Space Engineers. I've played BF1 quite a bit without issue until recently however when in the last month my computer began to crash consistently while attempting to start a game.

I've done virus checks as well as reinstalled gpu drivers several times.

I ran memtest86 without issue as well as cleaned the registry and tempt folders.

Done several hard drive cleanups although it's pretty immaculate, I don't let it get above 50% used space. Never had any issues with corrupt data except from some of the crashes lately.

My temps are pretty good sitting at 28-30 and only rising to the low 40's while gaming.

Although I just added a new processor fan and heatsink as it was running at 60 c on idle. Now its around 30-35.

I am almost certain it is a hardware issue at this point but don't want to rule out software errors yet.

If it is hardware than I'm curious as to how I might isolate if its the processor, motherboard or gpu as I've kind of ruled out powersupply and memory problems as well as hard drive.

Although I haven't had a BSOD I included the associated information none the less.

· Windows 10
· x64
· Originally Windows 7, I just changed to Windows 10
· Installed Windows 7 myself when I made the computer
· Age of system - Less than 2 years aside from the case which is almost 10 years old. (RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black/Silver 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case)
· Age of OS installation - Windows 7 Less than 2 years, Windows 10 Less than 2 days

· Intel i7-4790K
· Asus GTX 980 (overclocked, though I ramped it down with msi-afterburner)
· Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7
· Thermaltake 600 watt

· Desktop Computer

Attached Files:

Sysnative Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionAppmbatman.zip   281.43KB   4 downloads

Speccy Text File Attached File  speccyMbatmantxt.zip   17.49KB   1 downloads

Perfmon Attached File  mbatman2.11.17.zip   47.6KB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

Greetings,

Unfortunately, there were no memory dumps in your report. Please stop using CCleaner as it automatically deletes dumps.

Uninstall the following programs, as they are known to cause problems:

DAEMON Tools Lite
RivaTuner Statistics Server
MSI Afterburner

Reinstall your Killer Networking Adapter. Then stop and disable the following service from services.msc:

Qualcomm Atheros Killer Service V2

Be sure to disable any Qualcomm/Killer items in startup too.

Thanks.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 mbatman

mbatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:26 PM

Greetings,

Unfortunately, there were no memory dumps in your report. Please stop using CCleaner as it automatically deletes dumps.

Uninstall the following programs, as they are known to cause problems:

DAEMON Tools Lite
RivaTuner Statistics Server
MSI Afterburner

Reinstall your Killer Networking Adapter. Then stop and disable the following service from services.msc:

Qualcomm Atheros Killer Service V2

Be sure to disable any Qualcomm/Killer items in startup too.

Thanks.

Alright Done, done, and done!

Also I haven't gotten many memory dumps from the crashes even prior to installing CCleaner.

I edited the pagefile however so it should have more than enough memory allocated to make one.

Of the ones I remember the latest and most frequent was due to a hal.dll error.

I will upload one as soon as I get it however which shouldn't be too long now.

#4 mbatman

mbatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:01 PM

Okay so I've crashed half a dozen times since posting last and no memory dumps despite me allocating more than enough memory for the reports. I've cycled through different types too from complete all the way to small now each crash. I am wondering if its possible the computer doesn't have time to write one as the crash is very sudden. It reminds me of when with my old power supply I'd lose power randomly and the system would shut off.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:06 PM

Have you read this topic? :)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576615/bsods-but-no-dump-files/

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 mbatman

mbatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:23 PM

Yeah I did that now. Still nothing and I just 'forced' a crashed after setting it all up.

Edit: I should mention I tested it with whocrashed and it did make a memory dump then.

Edited by mbatman, 12 February 2017 - 07:28 PM.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

Do have a file called MEMORY.DMP in the Windows directory? If so, please zip it up and upload it to a reputable third-party file sharing service.

#8 mbatman

mbatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

Do have a file called MEMORY.DMP in the Windows directory? If so, please zip it up and upload it to a reputable third-party file sharing service.

Just the minidump: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_2mluCdGxOJVkU1LThjMmtYRDg

Edit: The only MEMORY.DMP file I have is of the crashes i simulated with WhoCrashed, otherwise when I try playing a more gpu and cpu intensive game the crashes that follow don't leave any memory dumps.

Edited by mbatman, 12 February 2017 - 08:36 PM.

#9 mbatman

mbatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:05 PM

Alright so I just initiated the crash by using a gpu stability test using FurMark 1.18.0. It didn't even last a second during the stress test. Still no memory.dmp

Edit/Update: Switched the gpu with an older one. Works fine under the gpu stress test. Guess I gotta see about my warranty.

Edited by mbatman, 12 February 2017 - 10:05 PM.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

Funny why it refuses to create memory dumps... no traces of BSODs in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report either.

Please reinstall your NVIDIA graphics driver. Use version 368.69, as it seems to be pretty stable. Please perform a Custom Installation. You should only install the Graphics Drivers and PhysX software. :exclame: DO NOT INSTALL ANY 3D DRIVERS!!!

It's worth having a look at this guide. Next, please run the Sysnative File Collection App again.

#11 mbatman

mbatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:56 AM

Funny why it refuses to create memory dumps... no traces of BSODs in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report either.

Please reinstall your NVIDIA graphics driver. Use version 368.69, as it seems to be pretty stable. Please perform a Custom Installation. You should only install the Graphics Drivers and PhysX software. :exclame: DO NOT INSTALL ANY 3D DRIVERS!!!

It's worth having a look at this guide. Next, please run the Sysnative File Collection App again.

Thanks I'll give that a shot.

Edit: Okay installed the new driver still no change to the situation. Still crashing in games and FurMark Stress Tests. Plus still no memory dump.

Edited by mbatman, 13 February 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#12 mbatman

mbatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

Here's the Sysnative File. Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   421.1KB   1 downloads

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:09 PM

Thanks. Unfortunately, without dump files, BSODs are a nightmare to diagnose. :( Please run Autoruns:

:step1: Autoruns by Sysinternals

• Download and save Autoruns from here.
• Right-click on Autoruns64.exe, select Run as administrator, and accept any User Account Control prompts.
• Wait for a minute or so, then go to File, Save..., and save the file to your Desktop. Use the default name and ensure that the file extension while saving is .arn.
• Attach the .arn file in your next post.

#14 mbatman

mbatman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

So I thought it was my gtx 980 that was the problem but over the last couple weeks since seeking help on the forums the problem has popped up again. Exactly the same as before, crashing while initiating a game. No blue screen no dump file nothing.

Here is what you wanted me to upload last time. Attached File  MIKE-PC.zip   307.91KB   1 downloads

#15 Trufflelshuffle03

Trufflelshuffle03

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

So I thought it was my gtx 980 that was the problem but over the last couple weeks since seeking help on the forums the problem has popped up again. Exactly the same as before, crashing while initiating a game. No blue screen no dump file nothing.

Here is what you wanted me to upload last time. attachicon.gifMIKE-PC.zip

Wish I had any infromation for you but I will say BF1 has a issue on pc there are ton of people that crash or have problems playing the game and it seems to be a issue on the servers and not pc. Although that could explane the crash on that game it would not with crashing on the other games you mentioned. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users