Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Short PLC question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 qportx

qportx

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

Hi everybody,

I recently set up a PLC as i was not getting no connection in a specific room in my apartment.

I have bought Tp-Link AV500. Now, this PLC does not have "passthrough" i believe its called, that means you should plug it diectly into a socket. Well I do not have two sockets i the room. The first PLC that is connected to the router via LAN is plugged directly into a wall, however the second PLC that is paired and is connected to my computer in the room with no signal is connected to the power strip.

The same power strip is powering a laptop charger, 2 lamps, and two studio monitors. 

Im getting coverage, i have great ping and pocket loss is about 0.2% which is all good. 

My question is, should i expect it to not work later on, or get worse because i use the second PLC with power strip or its all fine?

should i buy the PLC with passthrough?

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:05 PM

Hi everybody,

I recently set up a PLC as i was not getting no connection in a specific room in my apartment.
I have bought Tp-Link AV500. Now, this PLC does not have "passthrough" i believe its called, that means you should plug it diectly into a socket. Well I do not have two sockets i the room. The first PLC that is connected to the router via LAN is plugged directly into a wall, however the second PLC that is paired and is connected to my computer in the room with no signal is connected to the power strip.
The same power strip is powering a laptop charger, 2 lamps, and two studio monitors. 

Im getting coverage, i have great ping and pocket loss is about 0.2% which is all good. 
My question is, should i expect it to not work later on, or get worse because i use the second PLC with power strip or its all fine?

Thank you in advance.

I am no expert on PLCs, but as I understand it, the reason for typically requiring a direct plug into the wall is that some "powerstips" might be more than just a basic electrical line type device and as such might interfere with the data signal traveling over the electrical lines. So, along that line, if it is working now, then I don't see why it should not keep working. I am sure someone will come along an correct me if I am wrong. And if you are still worried, then you may want to just go ahead and return what you got and get one with a passthrough.

Not sure if that helped or not.

#3 qportx

qportx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:00 AM

Hi everybody,

Thank you in advance.

I am no expert on PLCs, but as I understand it, the reason for typically requiring a direct plug into the wall is that some "powerstips" might be more than just a basic electrical line type device and as such might interfere with the data signal traveling over the electrical lines. So, along that line, if it is working now, then I don't see why it should not keep working. I am sure someone will come along an correct me if I am wrong. And if you are still worried, then you may want to just go ahead and return what you got and get one with a passthrough.

Not sure if that helped or not.

thanks for your reply!

Can someone relate on that? if so, what kind of power strip is it? in case this one breaks.

Thanks!

#4 qportx

qportx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

BUMP

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:14 PM

Surge protectors, surge suppressors, and Uninterruptable power supplies can interfere with the power line adapter by filtering the high frequency used to transmit the signal. If your power strip is just a "plug multiplier" and does not filter the electrical connection then your power line adapter will work just fine. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 qportx

qportx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

basically i should just saty away from any power strip that looks more complex, right?

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

Correct, or ones that say "surge protector".

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 qportx

qportx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:58 AM

Correct, or ones that say "surge protector".

thanks bro! appreciate all the help guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users