Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE and Propel Accelerator

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sailor67

sailor67

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 01:16 PM

Propel Accelerator is a program that ostensibly "speeds up" you're download times. It is a program that you hve to pay for (I don't remember what it costs - I think it was a monthly fee that I am no longer paying, but the program continues to work), that for some reason, like the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, has taked control of my IE and MyIE2. I recently changed my ISP to AOL, from MSN, with the 2 month free trial of 9.0 CD and planned on shutting down Propel because of the resource drain (it uses abt 10,000k of memory use) and because I was no longer paying for it and didn't know how much lionger it was going to last. But, when I shut it off (at Task Manager --> Processes) I could't get any web pages to open on MyIE2 or IE. I thought that it may have been a problem because of the new AOL, but went through a bunch of fixes with them that didn't. By happenstance I turned on, then shut off Propel and IE worked then didn't. Tried that a few times and finally verified that Propel is what is controlling the workings of my IE and MyIE2. I really would like to get rid of Propel - not sure that it really does help that much - but really don't want a major program dependent on it.
Solution?
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 01:59 PM

Have you tried uninstalling it from Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs?

It sits between your browser and the intrenet so that all pages you open go through it. If you just turn it of from the task manager what happens is that it just stops forwarding the pages to your browser, I belive.

It doesn't do anything to speed up downloading, just loading if graphics heavy webpages by some effective cacheing and compression and whatnot, but it works wonders on dial-up connections.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 sailor67

sailor67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 06:15 PM

I haven't tried unistalling it for 3 reasons: if that doesn't work I don't want to have to pay for it again - I don't want Propel if I have to pay for it - and I didn't want to unistall , and then re-install MyIE2 because I like this version and this version doesn't exist anymore. Also, the AOL browser is an IE browser so if that doesn't work I'm stuck w/o a browser till that's fixed. But thanks for the suggestion.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2004 - 04:20 AM

I did a little digging and Propel claims they stop speeding up your surfing when you stop paying regardless of if you uninstall the program or leave it running. Are you sure that it is speeding things up?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 sailor67

sailor67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:15 AM

I don't know. How can you tell? I do know that MyIE@ browser is not nearly as fast as tha AOL browser is. I found that out last night downloading pages from the same website on the 2 different browsers. The Propel logo in my sys tray claims that propel is speeding up my surfing by 3.5 to 5x, but of course that can be pure BS

#6 sailor67

sailor67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:18 AM

I'll try unistalling tonight and get back to you tomorrow.

#7 sailor67

sailor67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:36 AM

Mr. Alpha,

This is what we've got Dude. I went to uninstall Propel and a got a box that stated the following: "If you're using Propel Accelerator (local host 8081) as the HTTP Proxy in your browser, after unistalling Propel Accelerator you will need to reset your HTTP Proxy in your browser in order to continue using the Internet."
So, I don't know if I'm doing that. But I'm sure you can tell me.
Also. There was also a message that in the last 30 days I had waited 26798 minutes for web pages to load, and that if I hadn't been using Propel I would have waited x more minutes. That 26798 minutes is not a figure that I made up, that IS the figure that they used. Basically that's 900 minutes a day each of the last 30 days. That's 15 hours a day. I can guarantee you that I have NOT been on this computer any where near 15 hours a day for the last month. So that's somewhat a bit of BS from them.
BTW, I won't unistall now until I hear from you again.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:39 AM

This is what Propel has to say about uninstalling:

IMPORTANT: If you are using Netscape, Mozilla, or Opera, you will need to manually reconfigure the proxy settings in the browser after uninstalling or stopping Propel Accelerator in order to continue using the Internet. See below for further details. If you are a subscriber wishing to cancel your subscription to Propel Accelerator, Click Here.

Uninstall Propel Accelerator

1.      Click on Start --> Programs--> Propel Accelerator
  2.      Click on Uninstall Propel Accelerator

Alternatively, Propel Accelerator can be uninstalled using the Add/Remove Programs in control panel. Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.

Restoring the Browser's Proxy Address and Port Number Netscape, Mozilla, or Opera
These instructions are for restoring Netscape's original proxy settings after uninstalling Propel Accelerator. These instructions generally apply to Opera and Mozilla.

1. Click on the Netscape Edit menu and select Preferences...
  2. Click on the mark next to the Advanced category or simply double-click on Advanced.
  3. Click on Proxies.
  4. If there was a proxy address in use prior to installing Propel Accelerator, [Netscape 4.7 only: click View... first] enter that address and port number. Otherwise click "Direct Connection to the Internet".

It seems it automatically resets the settings in IE, that it is only in Netscape, Mozilla and Opera would you have to manually restore the settings. But that leaves MyIE2 in a grey zone. I think you should uninstall it and see what happens. If MyIE2 doesn't work after uninstalling you will need to go look for the connection settings somewhere in Internet options or preferences and setup it so you conncet direct to the internet.

#9 sailor67

sailor67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:01 PM

I've unistalled Propel and I don't see any ill effects. I haven't shut down and restarted yet, but I doubt that that will make a difference. Thanks for all your time and help. I hope you have a good holiday season.
Sailor67

#10 sailor67

sailor67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2004 - 07:53 PM

Mr. Alpha,
This is sailor67 again. My MyIE2 works fine, no problems at all, and my AOL browser works fine (which is an IE based browser), but IE doesn't work. Not that I ever use it, but it is supposedly the primary browser. Could it possibly have something to do with the Internet Connection settings? I checked there and there are 2; America Online (Default) and TIBS41. The AOL connection is the only 1 highlighted. That doesn't sound like it should make any difference to me, but what the hell do I know?

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2004 - 03:04 AM

TIBS41 is somekind of dialer/malware. You should turn to this forum and post a HijackThis log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users