Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cat6 Cabling not working?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

Hi,

I have a small apartment with access to the attic, so I've wired the living room to the bedroom so that I have TV and Cat6 cabling between the rooms through the attic.

However, the Cat6 doesn't seem to be that easy to hookup?

I'm using three Keystone Cat6 Coupler terminals (two in the living room on two different walls and one in the bedroom) with separate Cat6 cables running up to the attic where they are terminated together with a LAN RJ45 Connector Network Cable Splitter in the attic.

At best I get 7 out of 8 lights blinking when tested.

How can I best hook this up to get it to work? What equipment will work best, etc.

Thanks,

John

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:59 PM

Hi,

I have a small apartment with access to the attic, so I've wired the living room to the bedroom so that I have TV and Cat6 cabling between the rooms through the attic.

However, the Cat6 doesn't seem to be that easy to hookup?

I'm using three Keystone Cat6 Coupler terminals (two in the living room on two different walls and one in the bedroom) with separate Cat6 cables running up to the attic where they are terminated together with a LAN RJ45 Connector Network Cable Splitter in the attic.

At best I get 7 out of 8 lights blinking when tested.

How can I best hook this up to get it to work? What equipment will work best, etc.

Thanks,

John

Are you trying to "split" an ethernet connection to supply a wired ethernet location to more than one location in the apartment (i.e. hook up multiple devices)? If so, then an actual splitter will not work. You cannot "split" a network cable in the same way that you can a cable line or telephone line. You need a network switch rather than a splitter. Here is an example of a gigabit (you are using Cat6 cables suggesting you want gigabit speeds) network switch:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-FS105NA-5-Port-Ethernet/dp/B00002EQCW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1486868217&sr=8-5&keywords=netgear+5+port+gigabit+switch

The above is just an example of a switch that I have used in the past (graduated to switches with more ports).

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:42 AM

Hi BC Advisor,

Yes, I want to have access to the Internet from more than one location, in fact from three locations.

I'll be running a Cat6 from the Router to one of the wall Cat6 ports which will connect to a switch in the attic allowing access to the internet from two other locations.

So, I'll need to put a Switch in the attic where the 3 Cat6 cables will be connecting to to do that.

I do have a 5 switch and I'll try that tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

(I was going to use the switch where I work on computers but I'll try it here first to see what happens; I'll just get another one).

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by Johnz414, 12 February 2017 - 01:43 AM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

attics get hot and as such are not recommended for network equipment.

you would have been better off terminating everything is a closet

Edited by Wand3r3r, 13 February 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

attics get hot and as such are not recommended for network equipment.
you would have been better off terminating everything is a closet

Not to mention that a network switch will require power and not all attics have power plugs.

#6 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

I installed power for the switch, so that's not a problem.

I changed the three wall terminals to Keystone 8P8C CAT6 RJ45 Network 110 Style Socket Punch Down Jack Blue.

After resetting two of them they passed the Network Cable Tester test from wall to the other end of each of the three cables (with a regular terminal at the other end).

But when the three cables are plugged into the Switch (in the attic) and the router cabled into one of the wall terminals I get no Internet connection at the other two wall terminals?

Do I need a patch panel somewhere in there?

Why would I be having a problem here?

Also, when the Network Cable Tester is plugged into any one of the wall terminals with the switch connected only three of the lights blink on?

John

PS I can re-cable the whole thing into my closet if there is going to be a big issue with the switch and the summer heat.

PPS This is the Switch that I am using: NETGEAR ProSAFE 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch (FS105) - Lifetime Warranty

Edited by Johnz414, 23 February 2017 - 10:03 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

Are you sure you have a router and not just a modem?  You setup should be:

Modem -> Router -> Switch -> computers.

You can connect the computer in the room with the router to the router.  Then another of the router connections should go to the switch in the attic which will feed the other drops.

If the router doesn't have at least two LAN connections you will need another switch that will connect to the router, computer, and attic switch.

#8 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

This is the setup I have:

Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Computer

The computer in the room is connected directly to the router.

The router has 1 input (from the modem) and 4 outputs (one to the computer in the room and one to the wall drop leading to the switch in the attic which leads to the other two drops which aren't working?).

John

Albert Einstein.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

Then I'd recommend re-terminating the ends of the runs that don't work making sure that you terminate the same way on both ends.  My guess is that you might have swapped how you set up the Orange and Green wires.

#10 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

When tested they all worked, 8 blinking lights where they should be.

I'll test again. Maybe test the switch here in my room.

John

Albert Einstein.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

Blinking test lights just means connectivity unless your tester also shows the pairs being tested.  Did you wire 568A or B?  Same standard at both ends?

Out of curiosity why didn't you wire directly from outlets to router and not have a wire break in the attic?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 25 February 2017 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users