Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 1355cn printer -- grinding noise when powered on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

I have a Dell 1355cn printer.  For a while, I've had trouble getting it to recognize the black cartridge; I've often had to reseat that cartridge.

Recently it developed a new problem:  a loud grinding noise after powering on the printer (before starting to print).  It starts about 5 seconds after powering the printer on (even before it is ready to print).  I have always powered it down right away after the grinding starts.

I tried taking out all the cartridges; no grinding noise.  I've replaced them one at a time, starting with the black one.  The grinding noise appeared again only after all four cartridges were seated and recognized, and the screen said it was ready to print.  But then, when powering it back on, the grinding noise starts right away, before it even gets to that stage of readiness.

Does anyone have any ideas about what is causing this, what to try to fix it, or how to diagnose it further?

Thanks for any ideas,

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

I don't like grinding noises from printers !  As this printer seems to be a current production model it must be fairly new. If it is still under warranty take it back.

The only things I can think of that would create a 'grinding' noise is drive gears not meshing properly or, just possibly, a really bad bearing.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:59 PM

Chris,

Thanks for your thoughts.  Unfortunately, the printer is 5 years old, so out of warranty.  My options are to try to fix it myself or to junk it.

Anyone have any ideas about what it would take to diagnose and try to fix this kind of problem?

Roger

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:08 PM

I must have misread something I saw on Google yesterday, I was fairly sure I had seen a Dell listing referring to 2017 which led me to believe it was a current model.

A grinding noise is almost certainly mechanical in its origin so if you want to try and fix it you are faced with two problems. The first is actually taking it to pieces. The second is sourcing any spare parts you might need, and this is probably the more difficult of the two. The printer is c5 years old you say, that's not a bad life for a printer. I don't like being negative but it is probably time for a one way trip to your local recycling centre and a new printer.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

Most printers have to do a self check when powered up, this involves moving the carriage and paper rollers to allow sensors to find the starting point.  A paper jam, unmounted or out of align cartridges can cause a jam too.

#6 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

Thanks.  I don't think it's a paper jam.

Are you saying that how the cartridges are fitting into the printer (maybe misaligned) could be causing the grinding noise?  That would make sense, in a way, since the grinding noise started after many attempts to seat the black cartridge, some of which involved some force. 

But the cartridges don't seem to be misaligned now; they fit quite well.

Roger

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:01 AM

Then the other possible thing to look for is the thin plastic tape that runs alongside the carriage.  It looks clear but has a scale on it and it is supposed to fit in a slot (sensor) on the carriage.  This gives the  unit a way to find its home position.  It could have got pushed out of place when mounting the cartridge.

#8 Mhack

Mhack

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

Hi Roger,
I have exactly the same model printer and same problem.My printer is now out of guarantee and has been exchanged at least four times by Dell always with the same proble.Today they tell me it's the imaging drum which needs changing.
Someone else I spoke to some time ago said it was then the fuser which needs changing.
Dell will tell me the price for the imaging drum .Seen them on eBay for about £35 but will get the part number before I do anything.
If it's the fuser will ditch it as its not viable.
Have you made any progress?

Mo

#9 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Hi Mo,

Thanks for telling me about your experience.  In the meantime, I have junked that printer and bought a cheap laserjet printer.  If they're going to break after a few years, I might as well buy printers that don't cost much in the first place.

My old HP 4L, on the other hand, is still working after 20 years, and when something in it breaks, it's fairly easy to fix.

Good luck with your Dell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users