Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failing Hard Drive -Please Advise

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

When it finishes, it automatically starts up my computer. It ran two tests (both passed) and then simply started Windows. I packed up my laptop for the night. I'm just posting from my phone again. I'm not sure how to make the test keep running...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#122 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

Is there a way to make the memtest run more than 2/2 scans? I don't mind doing another clean install, for sure. I would need to know what to do with the partitions on this new hard drive, though. I am curious, is there a way to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue? I'm assuming software, but then again, I don't know which physical components do what.

Also, I had an idea...if it would help, I have a desktop recording software which will allow for up to ten minute recordings. If you would like, you could give me a set of instructions on what to do/where to go and I could give you a virtual tour for a first hand look at behaviors or proccesses or whatever you may need to observe. Then I could upload the video as a compressed file to GoogleDrive rather than post a bunch of screenshots. Of course, I could fetch any logs you'd want to read, as well. Anyhow, it's just a thought and I certainly wouldn't mind -especially if it could prove helpful. =)

Edited by book.weaver, 22 February 2017 - 10:43 AM.

#123 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:34 AM

I am not sure the video would help. If memory passed after two passes I am going under the assumption the memory is good as you tested it with the onboard memory diagnostic that HP offers. I am not sure why the computer restarts after only two passes unless there is some other problem causes the shutdown and restart.

http://superuser.com/questions/547822/how-many-passes-are-enough-with-memtest

I am inclined to believe a clean install of Windows 7 is the way to go. If you have issues after a clean install then we will know your problem is some other hardware issue besides the hard drive. 

For instructions on a clean install see this guide which I already linked to if I remember correctly. You will be deleting all existing partitions on the disk.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

#124 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:52 PM

Thank you for the superuser link!  

I have a couple questions about the clean install.  I can simply perform the install with this new hard drive in, correct?  (I know that's probably a silly question; just checking to be sure.)  Can I select to activate windows automatically this time, if that would help avoid that weird authenticity issue that came up after the repair install?  Also, may I select to never check for Windows updates during the installation or would it be better to wait until after the install completes?

Yes, those are the instructions I used before.  I was planning to find the link from my flash drive or bookmarks...Thank you for posting it again!  =)

EDIT: Oh, and do I need to boot from the disk, or is it possible to do it from within Windows like I did for the repair?

Edited by book.weaver, 22 February 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#125 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,937 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

You would install to the new drive. Do not start from within Windows. Boot from the Windows install DVD and follow the guide I linked to.

Yes, you do not want to check for updates during the install. You can try activating automatically. If you do this then make sure you are connected via ethernet. If it fails then use Advanced Token Manager.

#126 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

Alright, great!  Thanks again!

#127 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:38 PM

I completed the clean install; downloaded the ethernet, wifi, Synaptics, and AMD drivers from my flash drive to get things working; I installed Google Chrome so that I could install IE11 (because my outdated IE wouldn't let me do much); then I installed the .NET, servicing stack, and rollup.  I don't have anything else -data or programs- on my laptop at this time.  

I was wondering, when to back up, get my data on, install my programs, and deal with Windows Updates.  Whenever it's time to back up, am I able to create a full image for a disk or flash drive using Macrium Reflect?

#128 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,937 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

I usually do two backups. One after a clean install before updates so if anything goes wrong with the updates or program installs I have a base image to revert to. After installing all programs, security updates, including any drivers I create another update. I make sure everything is running well and wait a week. Then I delete the original base image.

#129 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:05 PM

Ah, that sounds like an excellent plan.  Sounds like now would be a good time for my first backup -I still have and will keep the Win 7 SP1 iso.  Could I install and use Macrium Reflect to create the image?  Or perhaps is there another way?  I've never created an iso of my system.

#130 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,937 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

Yes, you will need to install Macrium. At the same time is would be a good idea to create a bootable disk or USB flash drive of Macrium under the heading "Other Tasks". You can create a disk image inside of Windows but you will need the bootable media if you ever wish to restore the image.

#131 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:44 PM

Oh, I need, like, a new recovery disk with Macrium's rescue environment?  In addition to a full image of my current...um...everything -system, rather.  So I would need two separate disks total?  I am very sorry for these ridiculous questions.  This sort of thing is entirely foreign to me, as well.  I think I get it, but I'll have to actually do it to better comprehend it.  Also, once I have Macrium installed and pulled up, that will help immensely.  I did create one rescue disk, utilizing Britechguy's video that you sent me a link to; so I know how to do that again; but I didn't do anything else in the Macrium program before.

#132 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,937 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

You need one bootable disk or USB flash drive for recovery and one USB external hard drive to store images. A 1 or 2TB drive will be big enough for multiple images. Macrium only backs up the data on the disk to one image file. Therefore you can create multiple images saved to the 1 or 2TB drive.

These videos are for an older version but it will give you the idea.

Create an Image

Restore an Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users