Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi on and connected but no webpage will load in any browser

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 elephantsneverforget

elephantsneverforget

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. It says it is connected to the wifi but when you enter a web address nothing happens. No error page or anything, it just stays where it was circling endlessly or comes up with a blank white page and the standard new tab text in the address bar. It does this in all browsers. I have tried restarting and checked the c:\temp folder (it's empty...). The WiFi is working fine on all other devices so it's definitely the laptop and not the network. It's Windows 10. Any advice would be much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:45 AM

Have you tried right clicking on the connected WiFi icon in the notification area and choosing "Troubleshoot Problems" from the context menu that pops up?

That's the first thing I'd try to see what the network troubleshooter has to say about the situation.  I sometimes have problems and typically the troubleshooter will disable then enable the wireless adapter, but it also sometimes takes other steps as well.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

I'll move this topic to Networking, as this problem seems specific to that.

#4 elephantsneverforget

elephantsneverforget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

I've tried running the troubleshooting; it doesn't think there's any problems and tells me there is no connection problems and it can connect to some websites (which it can't!). I followed the process through with a specific web address but it "couldn't identify the problem".

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

My next suggestion in the "land of diagnostics" is opening Device Manager from Control Panel then disabling followed by re-enabling your wireless network card just to see if that ends up re-establishing functionality.  As an aside, I have long ago stopped trusting the icon and status bubble with regard to WiFi.  My computer will report that it is connected to the router and to the internet quite often when it is indeed connected to the router, but the router is having issues with internet connectivity.  This started all the way back in Windows 8 and I've never found a way to make the status report in the notification area go back to being 100% accurate 100% of the time.

Also, have you checked either at Dell's support website and/or the website for the wireless card manufacturer whether or not there is an updated driver for it?  There have been all sorts of issues with WiFi weirdness in the Windows 10 world and very, very often it can be traced back to drivers.

I would definitely use the "search the manufacturers' support pages" technique first as far as finding replacement drivers.  If push comes to shove you can also have device manager uninstall the device.  It will then be recognized as a plug-n-play device and, provided you have a wired connection to your router while it's not yet been reinstalled, Windows will attempt to find a suitable driver for it and to install it again.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 elephantsneverforget

elephantsneverforget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

Disabling and re-enabling didn't work and I will have to track down an Ethernet cable before I can try tracking down drivers. Thanks for all your help to this point though!

#7 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:04 PM

Disabling and re-enabling didn't work and I will have to track down an Ethernet cable before I can try tracking down drivers. Thanks for all your help to this point though!

Not disabling, and re-enabling but doing a complete uninstall along with the drivers.  It could also be on your router end.  Try unplugging, letting it sit for about 30 seconds, then plugging back in.  Have you checked the router settings themselves?  Perhaps something is limiting the number of connections it can have.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users