Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:59 AM

I hope I put this in the right area.  My computer is not starting properly.  It gives me the screen posted below and I will hit the enter key and it shows it again.  I hit the enter key a second time and it boots.  It seems sluggish at times and some of my programs get quirky.  This could be the program but I don't think so.  A couple of days ago a noise like something spinning went on for several minutes.  It has been suggested to me that my hard drive is going bad and that's what I was thinking.  It is a Western Digital black and I ran the WD diagnostics on it last night and it showed to be fine.  I'm not sure what to think.  Some additional info.  I have a bootable image on a spare same HD as the one in my computer.  Speccy shows nothing out of the ordinary that I can tell.  Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.  I have tried doing a repair with Win 10 disk.

Attached File  2-7-17 problem.jpg   103.27KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Speccy 2-10-17.JPG   81.2KB   1 downloads

Edited by Bill_in_Texas, 11 February 2017 - 07:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:14 AM

Hemm not familiar with the WD diagnostics tool your talking about, did it do a full surface scan to check for bad sectors on the windows/Os drive ?

Mind doing the following and posting a pic of the smart data from it for your windows/Os drive ?

http://hddscan.com/

If not a chkdsk /r at the command line would be a good idea on the windows/Os drive "might take a wile to do"

Next in line it seems all your temps are a bit on the high side, im guessing here that you live in a hot part of the world and or don't have the best case ventilation for your computer, my self i would do a round of hardware diagnostics to see whats going on.

As well is the booting problem the only problem you have on the system, besides that everything is good ?

How long as it bin since your last windows reinstall and last but not lest how old is the computer and for how long as it bin running with out problems ?

#3 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for the reply.  The diagnostics is Western Digital's tool and I did the extended scan with it.  I will run the hddscan in a bit.   My case is pretty well ventilated and with several fans installed.  What other diagnostics do you recommend?

The boot problem is the only problem, everything else is running as it should.   My LightRoom program is being a bit quirky at the moment but that seems to happen from time to time.

Edited by Bill_in_Texas, 11 February 2017 - 08:07 AM.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

Could do a cpu stress test and see what happens, when you first power on the system cpu use should spike and so will heat, as well if you haven't done so all ready to a quick check to make shore everything is dust free in your case on the heat sink topic and cooling topic.

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Watch your temps as you do this test and fan RPM, stop test if you hit 75c, run test for 20min and check temps near end of the run as its still going, if the computer bombs when doing the test don't start over just try and remember what the highest temp was that it hit before the system died.

You need to watch the system as you do this to make shore the temps don't get out of control and to stop the test at the first sine of problems so don't start the test and go for a coffee brake ;)

If all goes well near the end of the test i wouldn't mind a screen shot posted of what open hardware monitor was saying or if you want just report back  when you know more, screen shot just nice to look at.

#5 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

I ran the "Read" test and I have attached the screen shots.   The processor temperature must have spiked to the high shown as it was 18c to 25c while I watched.

Attached File  Open HW 1 2-11-17.JPG   111.11KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Open HW 2 2-11-17.JPG   110.28KB   0 downloads

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:24 PM

I ran the "Read" test and I have attached the screen shots.

Whats a read test ?

Only tests i know of in prime95 are this, as well when you took the pic it seems the cpu were not doing anything, as well when doing the test make shore you have a total of 6 threads going, one for each core.

p95_info.jpg

looking at the numbers from your pics it seems you have some in the 67 zone ,ones the motherboard something or other and the other the cpu, under the red line but not grate numbers :/

#7 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

The read test is part of the HDDScan application that you recommended.  See the screen shot below, it shows the test selection area on type.  The second test is read test.   The test had finished in the two Open HW shots in the post above.  It's showing the min and max temps.  Thanks for the help.

Attached File  hddscan read 2-11-17.JPG   85.81KB   0 downloads

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:16 PM

All good., but to do a test of cpu temps its prime95 + open hardware monitor, has nothing to do with HDDScan.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:41 PM

Let's try this... :)

Back-up all your personal data and create a system restore point. Follow these instructions to rebuild the Boot Configuration Data.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#10 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:09 PM

All good., but to do a test of cpu temps its prime95 + open hardware monitor, has nothing to do with HDDScan.

I will do that tomorrow.  Sorry I misunderstood your instructions.  I do have the SMART Report from the HDD Scan below.

Let's try this... :)

Back-up all your personal data and create a system restore point. Follow these instructions to rebuild the Boot Configuration Data.

Thank you, I will look at this.

Attached File  SMART report 2-11-17.JPG   134.75KB   0 downloads

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

Smart info looks good no problems thier.

#12 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

The problem has been solved and I wish I had checked this in the beginning but the screen that was coming up didn't point to my problem at least to me.  I went into the bios and it somehow it had changed the boot drive to one besides the C drive so it was apparently going down the line as I entered pass the error screen. It is now booting properly since I put the correct drive first. I assume the devise that was missing in the error message was my main hard drive.  

Thanks for the help, I always learn something new even from suggestions that aren't the solution. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users