Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is CPU causing BSODS?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Apocryphas

Apocryphas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

A few weeks ago my PC started BSOD'ing very randomly, while doing anything from watching Youtube to gaming on just about any level. It doesn't seem to follow any particular pattern, but I noticed my CPU temps were getting very hot even at idle (60-70c) and then gaming would kick it to around 80-90c. I have since cleaned my case entirely and am idling at around 30c and gaming at around 40-45c. Anyways, on to more specifics.

Error code: 0x00000101 CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

CPU: AMD FX-6300 BLACK

GPU: Nvidia Windforce GTX 750ti

Mobo: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

PSU: CX430 Stock fans on all

1 hdd 1 ssd

MINIDUMP Analysis: I'm not too proficient in reading Minidumps but I used BlueScreenViewer to find some information. It says that the crash involves hal.dll (Address hal.dll+4e490) and ntoskrnl.exe (ntoskrnl.exe+19ff54)

Any help would be greatly appreciated; as I need to know as soon as possible if I need to replace a component. Will upload a .zip of the minidump file on request if necessary.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

Is the system still a unstable mess after cleaning out the heat sink ?

#3 Apocryphas

Apocryphas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

Everything seems stable except for the BSODS happening

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:30 PM

lol if its bsod everywhere its not stable bro ^^

Thing is too when you heat a cpu up too much and for too long and leave it like that it can permanently damage the cpu and sometimes when that happens you end up with a unstable computer for life in the after math, underclocking sometimes fixs that problem with cpus that took a hit and or are old.

Might not be what going on with your system so a good checkup on whats going on in windows is in order, other thing worth doing is hardware diagnostics, you do any of that yet ?

Limit for your cpu by the way is 60~70c and you pushed it to 90c for how long ?

As well whens the last time you did a windows reinstall ? and what version of windows you using ?

#5 Apocryphas

Apocryphas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:36 PM

Did a clean install less then a month ago. Win10. And yes I have done all the necessary stress tests and passed them all. 

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:26 AM

How long you run prime95 for ? or aida64 ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users