Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS/nVidia LAN drivers needed ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

This computer belongs to a friend of mine, it is a five and a half year old desktop - which to date has worked flawlessly - connected to the internet by ethernet to a BT router/modem. I believe the problem lies with the router/modem but before his wife gets into a discussion with BT re routers I want to make sure that it has the latest available LAN drivers installed.

Speccy -  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/YKroMaF2PQWLdBnGMmxcdzc

The mobo is an ASUS M4N68T-M-V2 (AM3) and, according to Device manager the LAN adapter is an nVidia nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet unit. Device manager shows no errors against the LAN adapter and the Properties panel says it is working normally.

Speedtest.net shows performance jumping around wildly, I ran it several times on ethernet and got Pings around 45 mSec, downloads between 6 and 20 Mbps, and Uploads around 0.03 Mbps (30Kbps !).

Connecting my laptop by wireless Ping was about 40 - 45 mSec, Download was around 20Mbps, and Upload  1.9 Mbps. I then disconnected the ethernet cable and connected the desktop using an elderly and battered USB wifi dongle I had with me and got Ping 47mSec, Download 6.94 Mbps and Upload 1.9Mbps.

I can find nothing on the nVidia web-site that relates to this Lan set-up. There is a chip-set driver on the ASUS web-site with a build date later than this computer's build date. Would it be worth my while installing this (slightly) later chipset in view of the fact that Device manager shows no problems ?

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:05 PM

nforce indicates LAN is part of the chipset driver. Per your specs the latest I could find for Windows 7 32bit was the one on the ASUS support site. The Nvidia site's driver was an earlier version. Not sure why Nvidia did not have the latest version of the chipset driver.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/14874   Notice the version of Ethernet.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,716 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

thanks John, I'll look at that later - much later - on today. I'll download the ASUS package on my own computer since I know my internet is working. Admittedly that is no guarrantee it will be working tomorrow !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,716 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:48 AM

Just to let you know, I didn't change the LAN drivers because the installed version had a slightly later version number. It's working fine on wifi but virtually zilch over ethernet !  It's the router/modem. Next stop, a call to BT, the ISP

Chris Cosgrove

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:53 AM

Have you tried a different Ethernet cable? Also does the modem/router have a different port you can attach the LAN cable to?

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 February 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,716 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

Yes and yes.

The only possible point of failure left on his computer that I can think of is the ethernet port on his mobo and short of changing the mobo there isn't much I can do about that. I could try a USB/ethernet adapter but I don't even own one. But followiing a phone call to BT they now have a tech coming on Tuesday so hopefully that will result in a new router/modem. It is a fairly old piece of equipment, they can't remember when they got it but it certainly precedes their present computer and that's five and a half years old.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

The MB has only USB 2 ports. You could use a USB to Ethernet adapter. It will only give up to 100, not 1000. I have used cheap ones bought on ebay with success.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-USB2-0-Male-To-RJ-45-Female-5-Pin-Ethernet-LAN-Network-Adapter-Card-new-/141863715870?hash=item2107bc841e:g:g1gAAOSwHjNWA4WU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users