Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP ZBook 15 - 8 Adjacent Keys Stopped Working. Replaced keyboard - No Change

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kmo1117

kmo1117

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

Hi All,

One of my users (I'm the Deskside Support Tech at a big company) has an HP ZBook 15 Mobile Workstation running Windows 64-bit Enterprise.  He reported that the number keys 6 & 7 located along the top row under the Function keys along with the letter keys Y, U, H, J and N, M all have stopped working.

So first I tried re-seating the ribbon cables.  Completely stopped working - couldn't even log on with CTRL+ALT+DEL.  I ordered a new keyboard from HP and replaced the keyboard and the issue still exists.  I checked it in Pre-Windows Environment - still same.

Am I going to have to replace the entire system board for this? Or has anyone had any success flashing the BIOS or other solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

Hello kmo

Sorry I can't be of much help with this.

Have you checked if it still is under warranty from HP?
http://support.hp.com/us-en/checkwarranty

If so you could call them. Usually on highend laptops they have a 3y NBD onsite warranty.
Then you would help them diagnose and their technician would show up with the parts needed to be swapped

HTH!

tfn

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

Does tapping the Esc key at boot give you anything? 

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

Check that ribbon connector from KB to MB hasn't any corrosion and non-existent contact(s)... scraped of or otherwise.

Check the connector pins on MB where ribbon connects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users