Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-installation of windows 10 fails

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

I bought my Acer E51 411` laptop last July 2016 and immediately udgraded the 64bit Windows 8.1 to the free windows 10.

All has been well running Win 10 until recently

Then the mouse stopped working but worked ok with an external one

I made a recovery USB according to windows instructions then tried to run WIN 10 recovery.

I must have clicked the wrong option because somehow I'd managed a factory reset and so now I am back on WIN 8.1 

Now the mouse is working so one problem was solved but I cant get WIN 10 back again

I tried making a USB upgrade downloaded from Microsoft but my laptop refuses to boot to USB (changed the boot order in thew Bios)

I went back to Microsoft screen and this time downloaded the win 10 setup to install it directly.

It went through the process then looked for updates . 2 hours later it was still looking so I cancelled it.

Now its doing a never ending cleanup even though it says it will take a few minutes

Could someone help.

Is there a better way

Ideally have it look for updates after installation

Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:14 AM

In order to boot to a USB device (or optical drive, or anything other than the hard drive/SSD) you must tweak boot order in BIOS/UEFI.

Were I you, and you still have the bootable USB media created using the Media Creation Tool available on the Download Windows 10 webpage, I would tweak UEFI to boot from the USB drive and reinstall Windows 10 using it.  That would be the easiest thing to do, and would give you as clean a result as you can get if you choose to keep nothing at installation.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:24 AM

In order to boot to a USB device (or optical drive, or anything other than the hard drive/SSD) you must tweak boot order in BIOS/UEFI.

Were I you, and you still have the bootable USB media created using the Media Creation Tool available on the Download Windows 10 webpage, I would tweak UEFI to boot from the USB drive and reinstall Windows 10 using it.  That would be the easiest thing to do, and would give you as clean a result as you can get if you choose to keep nothing at installation.

Sorry to appear dumb but could you tell me how to tweak UEFI?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

The answer is, "No," if we're talking about the nitty-gritty details because different manufacturers use different methods to invoke BIOS/UEFI.  From a very quick web search it appears that Acer uses a repeated F2 press at boot time to bring up UEFI, though I would confirm that at their support website for your specific model.  The information on how to invoke UEFI should be in the Owner's Manual (or whatever they call it) not the Quick Start Guide.

Even though this thread I started a long time ago is for my HP laptop, there are enough similarities in UEFI that it is worth looking at.  Your UEFI interface should be relatively similar, you just have to read the categories and the control keys noted at the bottom of the screen.

UEFI Boot Example from HP 15 Series Laptop

See if this helps even though I didn't go into the details of the boot order menu or system configuration menu.  It's really impossible for anyone to get into the specific UEFI on your machine unless they have that same UEFI themselves, and I don't.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:12 PM

To access the BIOS in a Acer Aspire you need to press the F2 key immediately after you see the splash screen logo.

There is a short video which you can access from here which will show you how to change the boot order in the BIOS.  This should be the first video at the top of the list on this page.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for all the help. Problem finally fixed :bananas:  :bounce: 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

Care to share with us how you resolved this problem?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users